Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Expert Pushing SSer
    Reputation: Meat Foot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,503

    Brown's Camp Conditions (need beta)

    Anyone been there after the rain/sun we have been having recently? I am debating going sometime soon. With the evenings extended a bit, and spring fever getting the best of me....just feels like Brown's Camp is such a logical place. However, I do not want to go and f-up the trails if they are too wet or stay too wet. Thanks for any info in advance. FWIW - I usually save this jewel for June-September. Oh, and I am itchin' to beat it up on my SS or getting my @$$ handed to me on a 12 mile wide silver platter
    Tuff Schist

  2. #2
    Law
    Law is offline
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Reputation: Law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    Anyone been there after the rain/sun we have been having recently? I am debating going sometime soon. With the evenings extended a bit, and spring fever getting the best of me....just feels like Brown's Camp is such a logical place. However, I do not want to go and f-up the trails if they are too wet or stay too wet. Thanks for any info in advance. FWIW - I usually save this jewel for June-September. Oh, and I am itchin' to beat it up on my SS or getting my @$$ handed to me on a 12 mile wide silver platter

    I rode it twice last week, and I am going again Wednesday.

    First ride was tuesday of last week. It was slick riding up CW starting from the Rogers Camp parking area. There are a couple of downed trees shortly after getting to the top on the initial descent, so watch out. It was very enjoyable overall. There are spots where the stream and the trail become one, but nothing that is too bad. I didn't get too muddy and neither did my bike.

    Second ride was last Friday. I was more sloppy than before, but so much on the trail itself. My bike definitely had more mud on it, but it wasn't so bad that a person would destroy the trail. Most of the mud on my bike came from riding on one stretch of a road that climbs up out of Rogers Camp parking lot. I did that as an experiment to see where it went. I shouldn't have, as my tires got caked with mud that soon spread to me. But other than that, the trail itself was fine, and in much the same condition as on Tuesday despite some rain.

    I am hoping for some more improvement this week. I hope to ride it on Saturday early as well.

  3. #3
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,874
    Beat by Meat.

    Thanks for the trail beta Law. Soooooo Mr. Meatfoot...when you thinking about heading out there? Also, is Browns Camp a weekday-only thing for you being that you live so far away and all? I'm thinking I might head out there on Sunday if my snowboarding buddies hit Hood on Saturday.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    585
    Hey smudge, why don't you and meat loaf come over to my home trails. They've been good and they're a lot closer.

    We need to ride again

    My Wife has been riding her ss out here so i'd say the the ss is doable

  5. #5
    Expert Pushing SSer
    Reputation: Meat Foot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,503
    Gentlemen,

    Foot Loaf here....I am game for something other than Forest Park, as the days are a extending. Weekdays/evenings are better for me. So with that, I might be good to go on Thursday or some weeknight next week....say Wednesday or so? Lets keep it loose, and I may PM or post here.

    Stay tuned.
    Tuff Schist

  6. #6
    The Dude Abides
    Reputation: theeric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    296
    What time do you guys head to Brown's Camp in the evening? I get off work in NW P-town at about 3:30. If I bring my bike and gear to work, that would put me at Brown's around maybe 4 or 4:15...i think. I'm from the East Coast and havent done any evening riding out here. Would that give me enough time to ride for a while before it gets too dark, or should I bring some lights?
    Thanks guys,

    Eric
    This aggression will not stand, man.

  7. #7
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,874
    Hack,

    I'm in. I can usually stop working between 2 and 3PM during the week. Your wife is crazy hard core to make some of those steep climbs out there. I'll leave my ego at home. Can you make it out on Wed or Thurs this week?

    Eric,

    From what I remember, it took me between 1.5 - 2 hours to ride the loop at Browns Camp. It's unlikely that you'll need lights if you get out there around 4PM. Everyone on the planet probably has better route finding skills that I do, but if you head out there alone on your first ride, try to give yourself some extra time. I had a bit of trouble finding my way out and back to the parking lot the first few times as the MTB trails intersect with many ORV trails that go all over the place. I don't recall any neon signs pointing the way.

    If you're game, and the weather holds, lets try to get out there next week.


    Everyone...I'll apologize in advance for any whining, crying, complaining and incoherent babbling I may do while riding with you. I'll bring a courtesy set of earplugs for everyone to tune me out. Odds are you'll be so far ahead that you won't hear me anyway.

  8. #8
    Expert Pushing SSer
    Reputation: Meat Foot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    Everyone...I'll apologize in advance for any whining, crying, complaining and incoherent babbling I may do while riding with you. I'll bring a courtesy set of earplugs for everyone to tune me out. Odds are you'll be so far ahead that you won't hear me anyway.
    That's pretty funny Smudge.

    I would like to ride tomorrow night out at Brown's, leave the office here in Tigard around 4:30. That ride will be a little more last minute.

    I would also like to try Hack's network. So with that I could be convinced to do that tomorrow or next Wednesday. I am itching to try new stuff, but Brown's has a special place in my heart.

    [QUOTE=theeric]
    Yeah Eric, plan on 45 minutes to get there from NWPDX. Otherwise, the trails are like Smudge says, not as intuitive no huge signs. You could bang out the 8 mile loop in about 1.5-2 hours. I like to do a warm-up loop near Story Burn Road that takes and adds about 4 miles and 1/2 hour to the ride.....but way worth it.

    Stay tuned.
    Tuff Schist

  9. #9
    The Dude Abides
    Reputation: theeric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    296

    ... and if we just ...

    sounds like fun, and thanks for all the info. If the weather holds (fingers are crossed) I think I'll head out on thursday. I don't have a car today or tomorrow.
    This aggression will not stand, man.

  10. #10
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    That's pretty funny Smudge.

    I would like to ride tomorrow night out at Brown's, leave the office here in Tigard around 4:30. That ride will be a little more last minute.

    I would also like to try Hack's network. So with that I could be convinced to do that tomorrow or next Wednesday. I am itching to try new stuff, but Brown's has a special place in my heart.

    Stay tuned.
    Meat. Lemme know which you'd prefer. I've got to admit, I think ultimately Brown's is more fun, but Hacks network is a pretty great place for being relatively close to PDX and I think it's more challenging than Brown's in a few ways.

    If we ride Browns (<---notice I'm inviting myself along) tomorrow, I say we should hit Scappoose next week.

    -S

  11. #11
    Expert Pushing SSer
    Reputation: Meat Foot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    Meat. Lemme know which you'd prefer. I've got to admit, I think ultimately Brown's is more fun, but Hacks network is a pretty great place for being relatively close to PDX and I think it's more challenging than Brown's in a few ways.

    If we ride Browns (<---notice I'm inviting myself along) tomorrow, I say we should hit Scappoose next week.

    -S
    I think that would be a fine idea. Tomorrow Brown's (last minute, read no promises) and hit the other stuff next week.

    Hack, what do you think? YOUR WIFE RIDES A SS AT YER TRAILS?????? WOW...

    Eric....Law....bueler-
    You guys game next week?
    Tuff Schist

  12. #12
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,874
    Works for me. I'll have my gear ready for tomorrow, and if it doesn't work out, I'll stick to more exciting things...organizing my 2005 receipts and tax info for the meeting with the accountant on Saturday. YeeHaw!

  13. #13
    Expert Pushing SSer
    Reputation: Meat Foot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    organizing my 2005 receipts and tax info for the meeting with the accountant on Saturday. YeeHaw!
    You lucky devil. I'll bet that would more exciting than hearing me reach for my inhaler on one of those climbs out at Brown's

    M
    Tuff Schist

  14. #14
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    ... hearing me reach for my inhaler on one of those climbs out at Brown's

    M
    Bringing enough to share? Let's hope that this ride is more successful than the last time we tried to ride out there. Crossing my fingers that I go home with all part of my bike in the same condition in which they arrived.

    How about it Hack? Can you make it out to Brown's Camp tomorrow?
    Last edited by smudge; 04-04-2006 at 01:53 PM.

  15. #15
    Expert Pushing SSer
    Reputation: Meat Foot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,503

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Update...

    Let's do Thursday at Brown's Camp for those interested.

    Meat at the trail head around 5:30?

    PM if destructions are needed.

    Ciao!
    Tuff Schist

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    585

    ;kfgk;j

    I'm schedualed up for this week. Today i just led a ride and did 18 miles. % to the trail 8 on the trail and 5 home. Tomorrow i'm doing the Downhillers x/c ride. Thursday My Wife is riding with my buddy's Wife and friday i'm joinning the plump ride here in town. Sat i'm riding at Growlers and sunday Post canyon.

    But next week is looking clear. MeatHead said Wed. That would work for me.

  17. #17
    Expert Pushing SSer
    Reputation: Meat Foot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    I'm schedualed up for this week.
    Busy busy busy...
    Nice social calendar. Wednesday or Thursday works best next week. I will keep you in the loop.
    Tuff Schist

  18. #18
    highly visible
    Reputation: GlowBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,177
    Hey ... I think I'm up for a Browns Camp ride myself. Tomorrow is better, but I could probably do Thursday too
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

  19. #19
    Expert Pushing SSer
    Reputation: Meat Foot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    Hey ... I think I'm up for a Browns Camp ride myself. Tomorrow is better, but I could probably do Thursday too
    Glow,

    Looks like Thursday works best for me. But, I am sure others would follow you tomorrow. Feel free to join us n Thursday. I will have a firm plan by tomorrow or Thursday AM.

    Cheers!
    Tuff Schist

  20. #20
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,874
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    Hey ... I think I'm up for a Browns Camp ride myself. Tomorrow is better, but I could probably do Thursday too
    GlowBoy - I could meat you today if you don't mind putting up with my wheezing. If you live in PDX, we could even carpool to save some emissions. I'm in SE.

    MeatFoot - What time do you want to meat tomorrow?

  21. #21
    Expert Pushing SSer
    Reputation: Meat Foot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    MeatFoot - What time do you want to meat tomorrow?
    Meat's big foot on the six, little foot on the five. Howzat sound? If you can get to Tigard, we could throw (gently place) yer rig in my truck and carpool out. Alternatively, we could take your pimping ride out and I will shove my bike in the trunk of the coche. No racks on it.
    Tuff Schist

  22. #22
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    Meat's big foot on the six, little foot on the five. Howzat sound? If you can get to Tigard, we could throw (gently place) yer rig in my truck and carpool out. Alternatively, we could take your pimping ride out and I will shove my bike in the trunk of the coche. No racks on it.
    That works for me. PM or email me your work address so I can plan the route out there. I still don't know my way around anywhere west of PDX very well, but I assume that Tiggered is on the way out to Brown's Camp (soon to be known as Sean's Bane).

    I have no problems driving us out there. I just put the rack back on the pimp wagon last night and I'll have the handy-dandy garden sprayer in the back to douse the bikes off while they're still nice n' soggy.

    Just being perfectly honest here given my current level of fitness...If we don't get started until 5:30 tomorrow, I'm bringing a light for the climb out. I have no idea what to expect on Thursday after potentially riding with GlowBoy today and enjoying a winter of snowboarding and the over-consumption of hoppy beverages. My light will probably only last me 20 minutes, but I figure that's all we'll need if my legs (or lungs or heart) crap out.

  23. #23
    highly visible
    Reputation: GlowBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,177
    Can't make it today (had to pick one day or the other with baby at home) but I'm definitely in for tomorrow at 5:30.

    Smudge, I work in Beaverton, so if you can get yourself there by 4:30-ish we can carpool. I live in Portland so I can also give you a ride home afterwards if you need.

    I hadn't planned on bringing lights, since it is light out until 7:30+ now. Meat, do you think we'll be riding more than 2 hours?

    - Dan
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

  24. #24
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,874
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    Can't make it today (had to pick one day or the other with baby at home) but I'm definitely in for tomorrow at 5:30.

    Smudge, I work in Beaverton, so if you can get yourself there by 4:30-ish we can carpool. I live in Portland so I can also give you a ride home afterwards if you need.

    I hadn't planned on bringing lights, since it is light out until 7:30+ now. Meat, do you think we'll be riding more than 2 hours?

    - Dan
    Dan - I doubt we'll need the lights tomorrow. I threw that out there thinking that I'd be riding with you today and then suffering like [SIZE=-1]Mickael Rasmussen tomorrow. I'm definitely out of shape, but I think I can finish in 2 hours.

    I don't want to intentionally over-complicate the driving plans...That said, I've only ever gone out there via 26 to rt 6. The Beavertown/Tiggered area is a strange an unknown place to me. Would you take rt 8 to get to Browns/Rogers camp? Or would you just head up to 26? Seems like it might make the most sense either for MeatFoot and I to meet you at your place of business, or for me to pick you up and meet Meat at the trailhead. Either way, I have no problem driving up to three people (as I have only three spaces for bikes on the car.)

    What works best for you Meat? aah...WTF. Your phone is going to ring in a second.

    Sean
    [/SIZE]

  25. #25
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,874
    Dan, just sent you a PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •