it means 'no problem'

Breaking ground on new Redmond trail system!

Saturday, November 5 at the "Radlands" at East Redmond. 9:00am to 1:00pm.
    Sponsored by Altrec.com and Trinity Bikes
    Meet at the Redmond High Desert Sports Complex on Maple Ave. Food and raffle after trail work.

I gotta say this will be a very cool new riding area, not just for Winter riding but for something very close to Redmond. I encourage anyone nearby to join us, if only to get a preview of a very cool new area.

Yes, that is a glimpse of Smith Rock State Park in the background. Oh how I love central Oregon!

COTA'S SAFETY REQUIREMENTS:
    Please bring a hydration pack with water and a snack.
    Be sure to bring appropriate layers to accommodate whatever the weather may be.

All COTA trail work events require the following safety measures:
    All participants are required to have the following protective clothing and equipment:

Sturdy shoes or boots

Gloves

Eye protection with clear or light colored lens

Long pants

Due to COTA’s insurance requirements and the inherent dangers of trail work, we must implement the following policy regarding children at work events:

For anyone 14 years of age or younger, we require one parent, guardian, or responsible adult for supervision of every four kids attending any COTA trail work events.

All minors under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian available to sign our waiver.

Anyone who arrives for a work event may be turned away if he/she cannot meet the above requirements.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Breaking ground on new Redmond trail system!-radlands-1.jpg  

Breaking ground on new Redmond trail system!-radlands-2.jpg  

Last edited by sans soucie; 11-03-2011 at 10:39 AM.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

please, just ride
    Can't wait to get a crack at those big rock slabs! It's going to be a great addition to our winter riding zones and a great local trail system for Redmond. See you there on Saturday.
    BUILD,RIDE,REPEAT.
    Support COTA and your Local Brewery

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sorry I could not make this work day, the commute would have been a bit long

Back in NC now. On the way home I got to visit Valmont Bike Park in Boulder. TD had 6 staff out for 2+ months last year helping with the build out of that park, but I was not involved and this is the first I have seen of it. I was really excited to see the easy surfaced trails getting used as much if not more than the pro slope-style lines. Please keep in mind the ideas I threw out during our scouting day at Radlands.

Only home a few days, then off to AL for some trail assessment and management plan work there. Going to be a busy fall.

See ya next year.

Woody- Trail Dynamics LLC

Afric Pepperbird
    Not to sound like a wisenheimer, because that is not my intent, and homlessness is a real problem right now, but how close are these trails to the somewhat well-populated homeless camps in that area? There are several homeless camps on the public lands east of Redmond. Will the safety and security of all (riders and indigent alike) be safeguarded?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Not to sound like a wisenheimer, because that is not my intent, and homlessness is a real problem right now, but how close are these trails to the somewhat well-populated homeless camps in that area? There are several homeless camps on the public lands east of Redmond. Will the safety and security of all (riders and indigent alike) be safeguarded?

Thanks
    I think that it is unnecessary to assume homeless people are criminals. In fact I would bet that most criminals actually have homes; so by the previously stated rational, one should be more concerned about riding near houses.

please, just ride

Really??

Thanks
    Really DF? Is there anything outside that doesn't worry you? Maybe you should stay in your safe little comfortable abode so the big scary world doesn't get you!
    Seriously, you need to be more concerned about the RC airport or someone hittng a grand slam into the evening group ride than some unfortunate victims of a bad economy.
    BUILD,RIDE,REPEAT.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by seedy View Post
    Really DF? Is there anything outside that doesn't worry you? Maybe you should stay in your safe little comfortable abode so the big scary world doesn't get you!
    Seriously, you need to be more concerned about the RC airport or someone hittng a grand slam into the evening group ride than some unfortunate victims of a bad economy.
    Which part of "Will the safety and security of all (riders and indigent alike) be safeguarded?" is so hard to understand?

Concerns are twofold: While I certainly want to avoid the scenario of the Wilson River/Tillamook State Forest trailheads in regards parking security (see many threads here); I also don't want us to drive these people out. This is the only place for many of these people. I see many of them on a weekly basis in my job in a social service agency. While some battle addiction problems, most are just trying to survive. How will we all co-exist? There's not a whole lot of places in Redmond for them to go.

limplizard
    Sep 2009
    [QUOTE=Will the safety and security of all (riders and indigent alike) be safeguarded? [/QUOTE]

Where is the safety and security of riders safeguarded now?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Back on topic- I hope the work party went well. I like the pics with Grey Butte/Smith Rock in the background. Today's precip will be good for the reshaping we did on whoops that same day.

please, just ride
    Turnout was great considering the brisk weather. Big shout out goes to Trinity Bikes, Hutch's Redmond, Redmond Parks and Rec, Altrec, and The Oregon National Guard Youth Challenge Crew.
    We had around 40 volunteers show and almost knocked out the entire first loop!
    The first loop will be a more beginner friendly trail.
    As we move further out into the system, it will get more challenging. Although it looks really flat out there, there is some fun terrain that will provide challenge for every level of rider. I think it will be a real asset to the community and give us one more winter riding option here in Central Or.
    BUILD,RIDE,REPEAT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    DF: heads up, at tillamook, there are really no homeless people living in the area.

Keep Singletrack Single
    +1. Spot on Seedy.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    +1. Spot on Seedy.
    You didn't read either of my posts, either??

I shake my head in sad disgust, willem. Et tu, Brute?

mtbr member
    Will the beginner loop be ready to ride this winter? Looking forward to helping build it and ride it,

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie View Post
    Saturday, November 5 at the "Radlands" at East Redmond. 9:00am to 1:00pm.
    Sponsored by Altrec.com and Trinity Bikes
    Meet at the Redmond High Desert Sports Complex on Maple Ave. Food and raffle after trail work.

I gotta say this will be a very cool new riding area, not just for Winter riding but for something very close to Redmond. I encourage anyone nearby to join us, if only to get a preview of a very cool new area.

Yes, that is a glimpse of Smith Rock State Park in the background. Oh how I love central Oregon!

COTA'S SAFETY REQUIREMENTS:
    Please bring a hydration pack with water and a snack.
    Be sure to bring appropriate layers to accommodate whatever the weather may be.

All COTA trail work events require the following safety measures:
    All participants are required to have the following protective clothing and equipment:

Sturdy shoes or boots

Gloves

Eye protection with clear or light colored lens

Long pants

Due to COTA’s insurance requirements and the inherent dangers of trail work, we must implement the following policy regarding children at work events:

For anyone 14 years of age or younger, we require one parent, guardian, or responsible adult for supervision of every four kids attending any COTA trail work events.

All minors under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian available to sign our waiver.

Anyone who arrives for a work event may be turned away if he/she cannot meet the above requirements.

Thanks!
    I assume the plan is to continue adding more trail throughout the winter. More trailwork parties planned?

mtbr member
    This is great news. Can't wait to see/ride it!
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...

please, just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregon View Post
    Will the beginner loop be ready to ride this winter? Looking forward to helping build it and ride it,
    officially, probably not. Meaning the signage and finish work will probably not be done, but the trail is there and with some moisture......

There will most likely be some more work parties coming up this winter, stay tuned!
    BUILD,RIDE,REPEAT.

Keep Singletrack Single
    officially, probably not. Meaning the signage and finish work will probably not be done, but the trail is there and with some moisture......

There will most likely be some more work parties coming up this winter, stay tuned!
    Cool!!! Did you doing anything with the rock slabs???

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    I assume the plan is to continue adding more trail throughout the winter. More trailwork parties planned?
    Definitely. Keep checking the COTA Calendar and the Trinity Bikes website for planned work events.

The terrain is fairly easy to work, the existing vegetation comes out easily and the soils are light and sandy. The trail(s) are not ready to ride right now, without moisture and some freezing. (Recall Horse Ridge in the early days?)

We did not get to incorporate the rock slabs as there is yet some unresolved planning for those actual trail locations. All in good time...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Sorry I could not make this work day, the commute would have been a bit long

Please keep in mind the ideas I threw out during our scouting day at Radlands.

Woody- Trail Dynamics LLC
    Yes, Woodman, we have been thinking a lot about your ideas. I really believe we are not quite set up for that yet as it will require machine work. As you can well imagine, once you start removing rock from within the planned trail tread, well rocks just keep on popping up. Thanks for your involvement, hopefully when you're here next we will have something very cool to show you out here! Progress, not perfection.

... how close are these trails to the somewhat well-populated homeless camps in that area? There are several homeless camps on the public lands east of Redmond. Will the safety and security of all (riders and indigent alike) be safeguarded?

Thanks
    I am not aware of any homeless camps, and I have looked at the Environmental Analysis that was done for this area. I don't think anyone here intends to take your comment lightly but exactly what is the concern here? How are we (building and then utilizing trails) or they (homeless people) causing danger to one another? Instead of stirring the pot and being defensive, try to educate us on the real issue. Where exactly is the camp you speak of? PM me if necessary.

Regarding safety, almost the entire day we were out there we could hear gunshots off to the South. With that, and the Archery range, the Negus Transfer Station (dump), the many ball fields and the RC Airplane area, it is quite the mix of uses. The area where we are helping develop trails must avoid these other uses and our trail planning efforts are looking at all possible conflicts. It's best to do it right from the get-go.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    That is awesome. We are moving to Central Oregon as soon as our daughter graduates. I can't wait to take all of my trail building energy and focus on the type of building you describe. No one from this side has ever uttered the words "the existing vegetation comes out easily and the soils are light and sandy". I will probably try to make it up there for a build day in the future anyway, or maybe to harass some of those crime committing homeless people.

Thanks for the work.

Hate Costs Money

VP/ Terrain Designer
    The homeless camps are far away from any built or proposed trails. They are miles to the south-east. I have gone out and donated warm clothes and food during the winters extremely cold temps; they remain extremely well hidden, in fear of loosing what "home they have. I'll add that they were extremely kind, and appreciative of the help.
    The potential that this area has, is HUGE! can't wait to see this project blossom over the years.
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

mtbr member
    That's awesome NastyNick! I work in the industry and often times cover expenses for those homeless folks that come in with flat tires or need a quick adjustment on their bikes. YES, they use bikes for their only means of transportation in most cases and YES, they are also passionate about their bikes, just like us!

+1 rep for you

Like you, I am looking forward to riding the trails in Redmond. It was great working along with a dedicated group of people that turned out for the work party a couple of weeks ago!