mtbr member
    May 2013

Boyd cave and Arnold Ice cave

I'm camping in Bend this coming weekend and saw there are a couple of caves off of the Coyote Loop trail. Anyone here been into them or can give me more information?

I'm looking for things to do as I'm taking a couple beginner bikers with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    There are numerous lava tube caves off of China Hat Road. Boyd and Arnold Ice Cave are both open to the public. Some of the other caves require a tour guide and are closed seasonally for bat hibernation.

Boyd is the bigger and easier of the two caves to access. There is a starecase that drops straight down into the horizontal lava tube. You can go back about 1/4 mile. Pretty open, but there are a few tight spots further back in the cave. Lights are a must. Also recommend a jacket as it is cold in there.

Arnold Ice cave has a cool history. They used to store ice in the cave before refrigeration and deliver it to folks in Bend throughout the summer. It is further off of China Hat road, but worth checking out. You cannot go nearly as deep into this cave. There is a lesser known "hidden cave" in a separate depression nearby. But, you've gotta find that on your own

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Awesome! Thanks for the info.
    How is the Coyote Loop trail in relation to the caves? (Both location and trail difficulty).

I would rather bike to the cave and explore them, but getting my friends to bike is like pulling teeth. Is is pretty mellow and close? If it's somewhat technical (anything other than brown pow) then I'll probably just drive over to them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The coyote loop is pretty mellow. Beginner MTbers would have no problem on it. It is best to park at the horse butte TH if you want to ride up to Boyd Cave. Check out BendTrails for maps and trail descriptions here: http://bendtrails.org/trail/coyote-loop/

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Cool, will definitely put that on our list.
    Looks like it's still a bit chilly in the mornings in Bend right now...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Adventure Maps shows the general location of Boyd, Arnold Ice, Skeleton, and Wind caves. Skeleton and Wind are closed, but the entrances are still interesting. All are good biking destinations. The bike trail to Wind isn't shown on a map, but gets a fair amount of traffic.

Coming from out of town it'd probably easier starting off China Hat Road which is paved to as far as Boyd Cave turnoff.