Making fat cool since '71

Is BlackRock pretty slick right now?

Anyone been since the snow started falling? I imagine it is not OK to ride presently, but one can hope. Since I'm going to the bike show this weekend I figured...I'm driving all that way...I could "get lucky" as it were. Thanks.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oeople riding every weekend. I was there 3 weeks or so and it was wet but good.

Just don't brake too hard on the wood stunts.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Rich from BRMBA shot me this e-mail yesterday... (2-3)

Cliff, you asked how the riding was... was out there for a little fun today, but not to ride. there is probably about 20" of snow just below Brake Check, couldn't even get my truck past just below Brake Check, would guess there is 2' of snow at the top of the Mt. Probably gonna be a couple weeks before things start to dry up a little : )
    Rich

Hmmmm. When's the show again?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

This weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Rich from BRMBA shot me this e-mail yesterday... (2-3)

Cliff, you asked how the riding was... was out there for a little fun today, but not to ride. there is probably about 20" of snow just below Brake Check, couldn't even get my truck past just below Brake Check, would guess there is 2' of snow at the top of the Mt. Probably gonna be a couple weeks before things start to dry up a little : )
    Rich

Hmmmm. When's the show again?
    Friday-Sunday. There is a thread with all the down and dirty details somewhere on this board. Thanks for the firsthand info. I guess I won't be making the detour.

Brock...

Let's roll.
    Damn. This is sobering. I've been hurting to get back down there. Looks like we'll be waiting till March/April.
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    things change fast lately. I was just going to re-post that my buddy said SNOW. Lame

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've heard of Black Rock where is it located exactly...?

I'm not "exactly" sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead XC
    I've heard of Black Rock where is it located exactly...?
    ...of it's exact location longitude/lattitude/gps coordinates exactly, but it is approximately 5 minutes from Falls City which is about 15 minutes from Dallas that happens to be pretty near 20 minutes from Salem...Salem, Oregon and that is just balls on an 85 minute drive from my house 2.25 miles north east of Cottage Grove, Oregon.

Please indulge my smarta$$ response. I'm under a bit of stress l8ly or I'm just an A-hole.

BlackRock is really fun. The BlackRock Mountain Bike Association has done a great job of not only building great stunts (many of which I don't have the minerals to even try...), trails and such but creating a model for others to (hopefully) follow regarding relations with governmental and private land managers.

My only complaint about it is it's not across the street from my property.

Edit: Here are a couple photos from one of my favorite trips there last year...

Brock...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ImaKlyde; 02-06-2008 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Elvis is dead.

mtbr member
    Full face helmet vs. XC helmet!

Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    ...of it's exact location longitude/lattitude/gps coordinates exactly, but it is approximately 5 minutes from Falls City which is about 15 minutes from Dallas that happens to be pretty near 20 minutes from Salem...Salem, Oregon and that is just balls on an 85 minute drive from my house 2.25 miles north east of Cottage Grove, Oregon.

Please indulge my smarta$$ response. I'm under a bit of stress l8ly or I'm just an A-hole.

BlackRock is really fun. The BlackRock Mountain Bike Association has done a great job of not only building great stunts (many of which I don't have the minerals to even try...), trails and such but creating a model for others to (hopefully) follow regarding relations with governmental and private land managers.

My only complaint about it is it's not across the street from my property.

Edit: Here are a couple photos from one of my favorite trips there last year...

Brock...
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ouch!

how'd ya do that?

mtbr member
    Is that Eric on his Nomad peeping through the full face helmet in the photo Brock? If so, shout out to him for hooking me up on some extra shuttles up Larrison Rock last summer. Super cool dude!

Brock you got to get ya' some knee armor and full face at the very least, but scars are always cool too, like personal tat's with a story. I am awaiting my pressure suit, mainly for the shoulder protection due to last three munches in the past year resulting in chronic tendonitis and some rotator cuff issues. I have finally learned and realized that rock and hard earth doesn't give that much.

JG
    Ride On!

I have a fullface, just didn't wear it that day. I jammed off a log that was about 8' up and landed on the creek bank that was running uphill so when I landed the bunny hop off I was too far forward for landing on an uphill and well, you can see I hit my stem cap. Busted nose a nice dent in the side of it and a little ridge in the socket of my eye now. Pretty cool I suppose.

I didn't lose consencness (sp?) but I did get a bit "tipsy" for about a minute. I was alright to stand around and chat but I am glad I didnt have to defend myself in a fight or anything. Dazed is the word I think...

That is Eric. He's the man really. I may eventually get kneeguards. The 661's look good. Most don't fit my legs. Go figure. I'm trying to avoid knee/shin combos. I only really wear the elbow things to protect the tattoos at this point. That's a wife driven thing to tell the truth. There isn't any product around that will keep me from having another shoulder surgery if things go as wrong as they did a few years ago. My scared as$ riding style now does the trick pretty well though.

Brock...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    I have a fullface, just didn't wear it that day. I jammed off a log that was about 8' up and landed on the creek bank that was running uphill so when I landed the bunny hop off I was too far forward for landing on an uphill and well, you can see I hit my stem cap. Busted nose a nice dent in the side of it and a little ridge in the socket of my eye now. Pretty cool I suppose.

I didn't lose consencness (sp?) but I did get a bit "tipsy" for about a minute. I was alright to stand around and chat but I am glad I didnt have to defend myself in a fight or anything. Dazed is the word I think...

That is Eric. He's the man really. I may eventually get kneeguards. The 661's look good. Most don't fit my legs. Go figure. I'm trying to avoid knee/shin combos. I only really wear the elbow things to protect the tattoos at this point. That's a wife driven thing to tell the truth. There isn't any product around that will keep me from having another shoulder surgery if things go as wrong as they did a few years ago. My scared as$ riding style now does the trick pretty well though.

Brock...
    I thought that looked like him. According to my brother, he also makes a kick arse chili, like he did at ACM4.

As far as knee pads goes, I have had good luck with Lizard Skins Soft Cell hard knee pads. I wear them on all my descents and they don't rub or slip at all with substantial pedaling and take a mean impact well. I had a fairly nasty knee splatter accident into a sharp rock boulder a couple of years ago, so i feel naked without them on. For, knee/shin, I liked Fox Launch pads a lot with the "X" fitting and straps, great protection and vent awesome, but rub a bit with pedaling

So, how you diggin' the new bike? Any differences in riding than the 6 pack it replaced?

Praying for a ride this weekend, anymore Blackrock pics?

Jon
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Whoa Brock. When did that happen? It looks like you went a few rounds in one of those IFC cage fights. I guess mtb'ing is a full contact sport. Eh?

Steve