mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Black rock climb is brutal!

Holy cow, a buddy and I did BR for the first time the other day and the climb to the beginning of Bonzai was insane! We walked at least half of it. The down was a lot of fun, seems pretty intense for a beginners trail or I'm just a huge weenie lol... The wood structures at the beginning are super slick right now and I'm still not sure how I made it through there unscathed. Anyways, what a blast! Much better than anything I've experienced at Mac/Dunn.

Think I can make that?
    Oct 2005
    You have to pay to play.

(Don't feel too bad, i pass people walking up all the time)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter98 View Post
    Holy cow, a buddy and I did BR for the first time the other day and the climb to the beginning of Bonzai was insane! We walked at least half of it. The down was a lot of fun, seems pretty intense for a beginners trail or I'm just a huge weenie lol... The wood structures at the beginning are super slick right now and I'm still not sure how I made it through there unscathed. Anyways, what a blast! Much better than anything I've experienced at Mac/Dunn.
    I walk much of it with my XC bike. No worries, just a chance to BS with my buddies.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I walk much of it with my XC bike. No worries, just a chance to BS with my buddies.

Ah yes, we have some pretty interesting half out of breathe conversations walking up, lol!

mtbr member
    There's no shame in walking a MTB. It gets easier the more you do it

Making fat cool since '71
    We'll be up Saturday if you wanna practice your walking some more.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Respect Your Trails

BR Sat.

I plan on meeting you DODers from the south for Saturday's burn off the turkey ride. Gotta knock off some of my free-riding rust. Looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Good to know. I will make sure I have good walking shoes on for Saturdays riding!

mtbr member
    As long as you enjoyed yourself. BR is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Is BlackRock ridable all Winter? Or does it get too wet? I'd assume the wood stuff gets pretty slick, but what about the dirt?

I'm asking since I just moved here from Colorado, which only has two trail conditions dry and snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecruz View Post
    Is BlackRock ridable all Winter? Or does it get too wet? I'd assume the wood stuff gets pretty slick, but what about the dirt?

I'm asking since I just moved here from Colorado, which only has two trail conditions dry and snow.
    It's ridable most of the year. It's a bit slippery right after a rain and yes the wood can be treacherous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    It's ridable most of the year. It's a bit slippery right after a rain and yes the wood can be treacherous.
    Sweet, hope to be up there in a few days!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Since you ride in Mac/Dunn, I'm surprised you found it so tough. Definitely worth it, plus it's easier the next time cause you know what to expect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse View Post
    Since you ride in Mac/Dunn, I'm surprised you found it so tough. Definitely worth it, plus it's easier the next time cause you know what to expect.

I'll be honest,I used to find Dimple Hill very tough. In the last 2 months I've finally been able to ride from the saddle to Dans without having to get off my bike. BR is just mean, lol..

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter98 View Post
    I'll be honest,I used to find Dimple Hill very tough. In the last 2 months I've finally been able to ride from the saddle to Dans without having to get off my bike. BR is just mean, lol..
    Nice, keep pushing yourself and it gets easier! You've got excellent motivation too, getting fit will open up access to a lot of great downhill in our area that requires a 1500-2000ft climb similar to BR.

mtbr member
    What I always say is, "ya gotta go up if ya wanna go down."

BR is awesome and I can only pedal my DH bike up as far as basic training and then walk it from there. Although I'll walk it up three or four more times after that.

Just keep doing it and your body will naturally get stronger and the fitter you are, the more fun it is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jmountain View Post
    What I always say is, "ya gotta go up if ya wanna go down."

BR is awesome and I can only pedal my DH bike up as far as basic training and then walk it from there. Although I'll walk it up three or four more times after that.

Just keep doing it and your body will naturally get stronger and the fitter you are, the more fun it is.
    Yea, we've grown pretty accustomed to the hike lol....it's been well worth it. We usually ride down BD1&2 then cross over to Sektar Gnar (sp?) and ride that into Basic training. From there we walk back up a couple times then we're beat.