Thread: Black Rock

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Black Rock

I live up in Washington and was thinking about making my way down to Black Rock to ride sometime around Dec. 20th. I was just wondering if the trails in Black Rock are still ride able and not under snow like some trails up here.

mtbr member
    Top is around 1900ft and basic is around 1000ft. So.. maybe? It's often rideable in winter if it's not icy or soaked.

We have snow forecast for late next week on the valley floor, but it might not happen. Ten days is a bit far out for a precipitation forecast.

mtbr member
    I rode yesterday at 1000-1500ft elevations in the coast range. Packed snow up to 6in deep. Snow elevation is rising overnight. Heavy rain forecast for Tuesday. Good luck!

National Weather Service

Metalheadbikerider
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrin View Post
    I live up in Washington and was thinking about making my way down to Black Rock to ride sometime around Dec. 20th. I was just wondering if the trails in Black Rock are still ride able and not under snow like some trails up here.
    Shit! I have a day off on Wednesday and was thinking about hitting BR. Guess I will have to hit Syncline instead. Thanks for the update.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Rode it today. Banzai 1-3 then Sicter to Basic and out. Icy in spots but otherwise a lot of fun. Some trees down. Volunteers will be out clearing it next weekend.

mtbr member
    Any recent trail condition reports ? Thanks.

Update 1/31 Hero dirt
    Last edited by broccoli rob; 01-31-2017 at 10:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    How do you know if the shuttle road is open?
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    How do you know if the shuttle road is open?
    The roads are closed at all times to public vehicle traffic, so you can't self-shuttle.

Build crews have access and they sometimes shuttle after a build day. Not always, not guaranteed, but I have seen them out shuttling on days I've been up there to ride. Both Saturday and Sunday this weekend they will be out building, actually.

Other than that the only way to shuttle is a shuttle fundraiser. They typically do 2 days every year, it always sells out fast, and isn't always announced widely.

Hope this helps,

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    You can watch their FB page

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Anyone get out to Blackrock this weekend and have a trail report ? I'm guessing its pretty good but just checking before I head down there. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broccoli rob View Post
    Anyone get out to Blackrock this weekend and have a trail report ?
    I rode Saturday. Mostly BD and some SG. No standing or running water on the trails. Some very slick spots in the dirt. All the wood was dry. Heard it was better on Sunday. BD was worse conditions than SG overall, which is usually the case. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    I rode Saturday. Mostly BD and some SG. No standing or running water on the trails. Some very slick spots in the dirt. All the wood was dry. Heard it was better on Sunday. BD was worse conditions than SG overall, which is usually the case. Have fun!
    The dirt was very tacky early on Saturday AM. You just need to get your butt out of bed earlier, so you're not riding sloppy seconds. If I knew you were coming I'd a stuck around for another lap.

Oh, and the wood landing on flight simulator was definitely not dry. Ask me how I know?
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    If I knew you were coming I'd a stuck around for another lap.
    We saw Wayne and Craig on the drive and I was telling Aaron that I expected to find you out still riding... but you weren't.

Oh, and the wood landing on flight simulator was definitely not dry. Ask me how I know?
    You need to be careful out there!

Actually, Aaron followed me into the baby simulator, grabbed brake somewhere on the wood, and slid off.

I had the most issues with the left hand berm going into the BD exit jump across the road, which was full on greasy. Close second to the right hand berm on SG below the chundertron which I kind of slid into then hooked up.

mtbr member
    I was telling Aaron that I expected to find you out still riding... but you weren't.
    Nope. Got wiped out by the nasty flu that's going round, and my fitness is still paying the price. 2 full laps + some sessioning was more than plenty.

Actually, Aaron followed me into the baby simulator, grabbed brake somewhere on the wood, and slid off.
    Ouch, hope he is in 1 piece. I just got complacent after hitting it about 5 times, and didn't straighten out the rear end on the landing. Bike was out from underneath me before I knew it. Smoothest slide ever, not a scratch on me or the bike.

Don't have any video of the crash for your entertainment, so a blurry screen capture of a successful run will have to do

Black Rock-capture.jpg

I had the most issues with the left hand berm going into the BD exit jump across the road, which was full on greasy.
    That turn is always snotty. At the December build day John S and I spent a couple hours mucking a few years of wet leaves and slop off the tread and unclogging the ditch and culvert at the bottom, so it should be better than it was. I haven't ridden it since we usually hit the runaround instead.

Thinking about heading out there Friday afternoon if you're interested.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Thinking about heading out there Friday afternoon if you're interested.
    Nice whip. I haven't graduated to the big (right hand side) simulator yet.

Wish I could go Friday, but work probably won't permit it. Thinking Saturday and/or Sunday.