Thread: Black Butte

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

New question here. Black Butte

I'm going to be in Black Butte in a couple of weeks and am curious if anybody knows how much snow is on the ground; I'd like to bring my bike, but don't know the trails real well over there. (mostly the one that is across the road from the resort that winds its way around the butte)

Any input/advice would be appreciated.

meatier showers
    Not sure about snow level. Black Butte Ranch is at about 3200' elevation. You might find some snow on the trails around the Butte itself, there is an upper and a lower loop but IIRC they join / split near the Green Ridge Saddle.

Personally I'd take Suttle Tie (starts @ Jct. Geo. McAlister Rd & Hwy 20) over to Suttle Lake, then ride around the lake & back. The Sisters Tie also joins the BB Loop network but Sisters Tie is pretty boring and it kinda peters out onto gravel roads as it approaches Sisters proper.

Metolius Windigo is a horse trail but some seasons it doesn't get a lot of traffic and it might be nice & firm now. You can take it from Head of the Metolius over Green Ridge Saddle to Cold Spring Campground (and beyond in both directions). It crosses Hwy 20 just north of Indian Ford Rd (at the top of the hill).

If the bike shop in Sisters is still in business, you can get the lowdown and maybe even a trail map from them. Have fun.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nwroadie
    I'm going to be in Black Butte in a couple of weeks and am curious if anybody knows how much snow is on the ground; I'd like to bring my bike, but don't know the trails real well over there. (mostly the one that is across the road from the resort that winds its way around the butte)

Any input/advice would be appreciated.

If I were you, I would just ride the trails at Peterson Ridge Trail system just a block or two away from dtwn Sisters just south of Greenwaters Park. The trails are well marked, groomed and should entertain yourself for at least a couple of hours if starting at bottom of TH.

Last time I was in Black Butte, I did the Suttle Lake tie trail as Sparty described. Was nice cause house we were staying at was only about a mile from TH and could do a quick jaunt and not be away from family too long, but the Tie Trail to Suttle Lake is pretty uneventful and dull with a lot of flat doubletrack sections. The forest, especially as you get closer to Suttle Lake is pretty though.
    Ride On!

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    If I were you, I would just ride the trails at Peterson Ridge Trail system just a block or two away from dtwn Sisters just south of Greenwaters Park. The trails are well marked, groomed and should entertain yourself for at least a couple of hours if starting at bottom of TH.
    What he said.

Or, and I sometimes get flamed for this, bring a road bike. Do the Sisters ---> Lower Bridge Road ---> Terrebonne ---> Redmond ----> Cline Buttes loop. Gorgeous scenery, and the loop is over 50 miles, with very little traffic. I plan on riding this wednesday.

(I s'pose a mountain bike could do for this ride, too. But why sacrifice comfort?)

Tree Hugger
    While jgusta is right about the Suttle Tie trail being fairly dull (it has its moments), I think that Suttle lake makes for a worthwhile destination. The trail around the lake is pretty tame, but the views are pretty nice.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer
    What he said.

Or, and I sometimes get flamed for this, bring a road bike. Do the Sisters ---> Lower Bridge Road ---> Terrebonne ---> Redmond ----> Cline Buttes loop. Gorgeous scenery, and the loop is over 50 miles, with very little traffic. I plan on riding this wednesday.

(I s'pose a mountain bike could do for this ride, too. But why sacrifice comfort?)
    Yeah, I'm thinking about my road bike too, but the first mtb race of the season is the first weekend in March and I was looking for some additional time in the dirt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    One more quick question:
    How easy is it to find the Metolius/Windingo trailhead as it crosses the hwy; are there signs or markers that I should keep an eye out for?

meatier showers
    The highway rises there and the trail crosses the highway at the top of that rise. It's the only hill between the entrance to Black Butte Ranch and the town of Sisters. The hill is immediately north of Indian Ford. The trail is not hard to spot. There used to be signs on the highway (horses, I think) but I'm not sure the signs are there anymore.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by nwroadie
    One more quick question:
    How easy is it to find the Metolius/Windingo trailhead as it crosses the hwy; are there signs or markers that I should keep an eye out for?
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas