Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 104
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kliemann53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    142

    Biking with dogs

    I visited central Oregon afew years ago and couldn't help notice the volcanic charactor of the region. I'm thinking about going back this summer with my bike and bordercollie. What trails are dog freindly? I'm worried about avalability of water and will all that pumice and obsidian cut up her paws?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sketchbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    443
    I don't think the rocks around here to as much damage as you think on paws, but it will depend on how far you ride. My dog has blown out his paws a few times but it's normally when i ride too far or end up riding on pavement some. Phil's will be smoothest, but it's also the most full of people and other dogs. Too many dogs I think. I ran one over and was launched from my bike a few weeks ago on phils. Maybe just go very early in the morning or something.

    I just rode Skyliner trail with the dog, and it's about 5 miles each way. Was great for the dog. Not as heavily traveled as other trails. Mrazek is less busy as well typically, but it's very tight...

    The trails east of town are less used at now that west side trails are open. But they are a little more rocky. Horse Butte, Horse ridge, swamp wells.

    good luck.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    81
    If riding out of Bend then probably the river trail is your best bet for legal and water. It's not terribly technical but fun and scenic, and it's along the river so plenty of water. Anything on the South Side of Cascade lakes Hwy. is legal for dogs, anything on the North side (Phil's complex) is not legal for dogs although you do see dogs in Phil's with runners and bikers on occasion.

    There is no real obsidian on the trails around Bend, and the pumice is really fine like flour, we call it moon dust when things dry out as it appears to defy gravity and just hangs in the air forever. Almost unbelievably it is already starting to dry out around here and if it keeps going like this it's going to be a dust bowl this summer, we should still have snow covering most of the Phil's complex and it's already getting dry. Bend is super dog friendly and nobodies paws are really getting cut up so I wouldn't worry about that to much.

    The McKenzie River trail is another option and is about an hour from Bend. The Umpqua river trail is South near Crater Lake and is a bit farther but if you are touring through the area that's another possible water handy super cool trail but you would have to check on the dog thing for those areas as I have no idea about dog access.

  4. #4
    I should be out riding
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    960
    I'd suggest considering fall instead when it's a little bit cooler. Our dog loves to play in the water, so creek crossings were always an added bonus. Skyliner TH to Tumalo Creek, to North Fork, Flagline, and back on Tumalo creek has a lot of water opportunities for the distance. The Peterson Ridge system in Sisters is good for dogs too. Couple of creek crossings and not too rocky. Also, the Entrada lodge is dog friendly and has a trail out of the parking lot that connects to the river trail.

  5. #5
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,084
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Phil's will be smoothest, but it's also the most full of people and other dogs. Too many dogs I think. I ran one over and was launched from my bike a few weeks ago on phils.
    Hate to be a pain, but I can't stand dogs on the trail. I have had multiple issues with folks who have ZERO control over their dog/s. Often, they also fail to warn me about the "Second" dog. Just went into the Manzanita yesterday because of this exact scenario.

    I also find that the amount of miles is just simply too much for most of the dogs. They look overworked and exhausted. My thoughts are if you ride with your dog do so when the trails are lightly used (daytime during the week or very early in the am). I would actually prefer that folks who ride with dogs use the Forest Service Roads and not the singletrack.

    Just my 2 cents....
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    267
    I agree with willem. I know you all love your dogs, but many people don't. And having an unleashed dog on a trail -- especially singletrack -- is just dangerous. I've almost wiped out several times by mutts flying out of the brush right into my path. Letting your unleashed Fido run free on the trail is just an accident waiting to happen. I know it is fun and the dog has a great time, but when your friendly dog causes a small child to wipe out and get injured, it's not gonna be so much fun.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    755
    If I was going to ride with my dog, it would NOT be on a trail with lots of traffic(anywhere near Phils TH), or where high descent speed could hurt someone. Saw some people climbing with dogs on Funner last week. NOT smart IMO.

    Maston would be good this time of year for a dog ride, but little water.
    Bend, Oregon

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    44

    Dogs in Bend

    The OP did not ask for anyone if they "liked" having dogs out on the trails. Most chose to answer the question, while some had to give their self righteous opinions and taint the thread. Maybe if your **** was under control in the first place you would have stayed out of the bushes.

    Just my two cents.


    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    Hate to be a pain, but I can't stand dogs on the trail. I have had multiple issues with folks who have ZERO control over their dog/s. Often, they also fail to warn me about the "Second" dog. Just went into the Manzanita yesterday because of this exact scenario.

    I also find that the amount of miles is just simply too much for most of the dogs. They look overworked and exhausted. My thoughts are if you ride with your dog do so when the trails are lightly used (daytime during the week or very early in the am). I would actually prefer that folks who ride with dogs use the Forest Service Roads and not the singletrack.

    Just my 2 cents....

  9. #9
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,084

    Biking with dogs

    Quote Originally Posted by bb12creek View Post
    The OP did not ask for anyone if they "liked" having dogs out on the trails. Most chose to answer the question, while some had to give their self righteous opinions and taint the thread. Maybe if your **** was under control in the first place you would have stayed out of the bushes.

    Just my two cents.
    Thanks. It seemed to me to be very relevant. Free Speech on these forums.....cheers
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1
    Actually the Deschutes River Trail is leash restricted from May 15th to Sept. 15th. except for about a mile of it at Good Dog! - just downstream from Meadow Camp. The north/south rules only apply during the winter and are only at the higher elevations. The Phil's Trail complex is off-leash legal year round, but please use good judgement on busy trails as nobody wants an accident (with a biker or a dog).
    I think the McKenzie is off-leash legal except at developed areas, but it is a long ride for most dogs.

  11. #11
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,674
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsharer View Post
    Actually the Deschutes River Trail is leash restricted from May 15th to Sept. 15th. except for about a mile of it at Good Dog! - just downstream from Meadow Camp. The north/south rules only apply during the winter and are only at the higher elevations. The Phil's Trail complex is off-leash legal year round, but please use good judgement on busy trails as nobody wants an accident (with a biker or a dog).
    I think the McKenzie is off-leash legal except at developed areas, but it is a long ride for most dogs.
    I can't recall actually seeing a dog out on the trails actually ON the leash. The leash, if there is one, is rolled up in the owner's hands, so the restriction seems to be meaningless.

  12. #12
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,674
    Quote Originally Posted by bb12creek View Post
    The OP did not ask for anyone if they "liked" having dogs out on the trails. Most chose to answer the question, while some had to give their self righteous opinions and taint the thread. Maybe if your **** was under control in the first place you would have stayed out of the bushes.

    Just my two cents.
    Willem contributes more goodness to this forum than just about anybody so I'm okay with him giving his opinion.

  13. #13
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Willem contributes more goodness to this forum than just about anybody so I'm okay with him giving his opinion.
    Thanks buddy!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  14. #14
    The Unaffiliated
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    811
    I approach dogs on the trail the same way I approach ANY trail user. I assume they are completely unaware of my presence or will somehow act unpredictably, so I do what I need to do in order to avoid a collision. I have never hit a dog, but I have been hit by an idiot wearing headphones... I also caught my handlebar on a guy who was fixing a flat off trail when he looked up, made eye contact with me, and then inexplicably stepped back into the middle of the trail...(he was all upset about the little red mark on his arm while I was sprawled in the dirt trying to figure out why he knowingly walked in front of me...)

    There are only two types of dogs. Those that understand that they don't want to get hit by a bike again, and those that have yet to learn that lesson. Never assume a dog gets it. That's your fault.

    For those of you who have had bad experiences with dogs, I definitely blame the owner as well. I spent a lot of time conditioning mine to trails. He is very alert and avoids bikes. He often knows another rider is approaching before I do. He has more trouble with hikers because he is so friendly.

    To maybe help the OP, I have had good success with this stuff. It smells like cinnamon and WILL stain light colored carpet, but does dry in less than a minute. Upland bird hunters swear by this stuff as a cheat to toughen up a dogs footpads before the season starts. I have heard of marathoners and military types who use it as well.
    Tuf-Foot for Dogs (Bonaseptic): Tuff Foot for a Tough Dog's Pads/Feet
    Name:  BUA1.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  7.8 KB

    As for water, carry a bunch for your non-sweating trail buddy. I let mine drink from a portable bowl, then dump the rest on his neck and shoulders. There are collars that are supposed to help keep a dog cool, but I don't have any experience with one. I kind of like that idea for myself actually.

    Your best bet is to ride when it's cool out

  15. #15
    The Unaffiliated
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    I also find that the amount of miles is just simply too much for most of the dogs. They look overworked and exhausted.
    Agreed. Don't turn the ride into a forced march for your dog. Keep the miles pretty close to what they are used to and increase gradually. I wouldn't go much over 5 miles with most dogs (if moving fast). I would work up to 10-15 miles MAX for most breeds, and NOT in the heat. Some dogs are motivated enough to kill themselves trying to keep up We have a huge advantage with our built in cooling systems and because we set the pace. Lack of a fur coat helps too.

  16. #16
    limplizard
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Willem contributes more goodness to this forum than just about anybody so I'm okay with him giving his opinion.
    Willem also does more trail work than any regular contributor to this forum.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    Thanks. It seemed to me to be very relevant. Free Speech on these forums.....cheers
    That was funny...America is great for those freedoms. And yes it was relevant Willem. Did the dog have ear buds in?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kliemann53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    142
    I didn't ask but it was my intention to feel out the local attitude on dogs,sounds mixed just like everywhere else. I wont take her where its not legal but if it is I will, and I'll expect you to ride in control. After all if you can't avoid hitting my dog how can you avoid hitting that small child(Dropper68)? That being said I'm not really looking for high speed down hills, she can run all day but she's not that fast. I'm also looking at woldo lake,whats that like? A freind says there is a great trail around Mt. bachlor but i cant find info on that.

  19. #19
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,674
    Quote Originally Posted by limplizard View Post
    Willem also does more trail work than any regular contributor to this forum.
    Yes, which is even more meaningful than posting on this forum.

  20. #20
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Kliemann53 View Post
    I didn't ask but it was my intention to feel out the local attitude on dogs,sounds mixed just like everywhere else. I wont take her where its not legal but if it is I will, and I'll expect you to ride in control. After all if you can't avoid hitting my dog how can you avoid hitting that small child(Dropper68)? That being said I'm not really looking for high speed down hills, she can run all day but she's not that fast. I'm also looking at woldo lake,whats that like? A freind says there is a great trail around Mt. bachlor but i cant find info on that.
    There are almost as many hikers and trail runners in the woods out here, so it's not just bikes you'll be mixing with. I think the local attitude is mixed, with opinions forming largely based on past interactions (both positive and negative). How about this: I'll agree to avoid interaction with your dog if your dog agrees to listen to your voice commands and avoid interaction with me? Sound fair?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kliemann53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    142
    Deal.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    308
    Dogs bring pet humans to the trails to pick up their poop. Dogs laugh at the pet humans whenever they condescendingly consider themselves master or trainer or handler or owner. Wild humans laugh at pet humans just like the dogs who own them. Perhaps someday man and dog will be true companions. On that day we will observe dogs placing human feces into plastic bags and carefully removing it from having to be picked up by humans trained to do trail work.

  23. #23
    What day are we riding?
    Reputation: Rockin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalitup View Post
    Dogs bring pet humans to the trails to pick up their poop. Dogs laugh at the pet humans whenever they condescendingly consider themselves master or trainer or handler or owner. Wild humans laugh at pet humans just like the dogs who own them. Perhaps someday man and dog will be true companions. On that day we will observe dogs placing human feces into plastic bags and carefully removing it from having to be picked up by humans trained to do trail work.
    I keep hoping that some day the horse people will start carrying bags around to pick up all the poop.

  24. #24
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin View Post
    I keep hoping that some day the horse people will start carrying bags around to pick up all the poop.
    I see less and less horses wearing those "diaper" things than in years past. Too bad. On the other hand, I have no problems riding through horse apples, compared to dog sh1t. Horse manure is just grass and oats, and is odorless, and does not stick to tires.

    Dog squeeze, on the other hand, can almost smell like human butt loaf.

    Oh, and please, putting your dog's steaming coil in a plastic baggie is only half the battle. Actually disposing of the baggie in a trash bin completes the process. I see so many full, tied up baggies sitting along the trail... WTF?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sketchbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by Kliemann53 View Post
    I didn't ask but it was my intention to feel out the local attitude on dogs,sounds mixed just like everywhere else. I wont take her where its not legal but if it is I will, and I'll expect you to ride in control. After all if you can't avoid hitting my dog how can you avoid hitting that small child(Dropper68)? That being said I'm not really looking for high speed down hills, she can run all day but she's not that fast. I'm also looking at woldo lake,whats that like? A freind says there is a great trail around Mt. bachlor but i cant find info on that.
    The problems are not the controlled dogs.

    A lot of dogs like to run up front, and as we humans slow down going up hill, dogs don't. So the general fact that we are slow when travelling uphill and dogs are fast becomes one of the major sources or collisions. Uphill people can get out of the way if they hear someone bombing down a trail around a blind corner. Yes, I know, uphill has right of way, but are you going to sacrifice you body to hold your line around a blind corner? Dogs also are low and hard to see. You can be going around many corners thinking it's clear and wham!

    Other issues are when dogs like to run around off trail. That's great, but they will eventually come back on the trail. and they are so low to the ground they can't see a rider and they jet right into people. I have watched my dog do this half a dozen times. He's a liability.

    BTW - kids are a little like dogs as well. I ride with my 4 year old and if I wasn't telling him to get out of the way he'd either be run over or he would piss a lot of people off.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WHO LET THE DOGS OUT!! [o]
    By BlackCanoeDog in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 06:58 AM
  2. WHO LET THE DOGS OUT!! [o]
    By BlackCanoeDog in forum Passion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2013, 12:30 PM
  3. Dogs
    By illegalsmile in forum Colorado - Western Slope
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-27-2011, 01:52 PM
  4. Biking & Camping w/ dogs
    By B. Rock in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 02:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •