Thread: Biketoberfest

mtbr member

Biketoberfest

Meet: 9AM
    Where: Old Mt. Bachelor Park & Ride, Colorado and Simpson
    Work until 2 PM at Wanoga Complex
    After trail-work party until 6 PM at Parilla Grill

Roll up your sleeves and help COTA maintain the amazing Central Oregon trails! You don't want to miss the after work party with free food, beer and raffle prizes for all those who volunteered!

Breakfast sponsored by REI from 9am at Park & Ride
    Gather at 9:00 am, disperse into various work groups
    Trail Work until 2pm throughout the Wanoga Complex
    After Party sponsored by Deschutes Brewery and Parilla Grill 2:00 to 6:00 pm

There’s only one thing better than mountain biking in Bend, OR and that’s riding in Bend, knowing that you helped build and maintain the trails you love.

Please bring a hydration pack with water and a snack.
    Be sure to bring appropriate layers to accommodate whatever the weather may be.

All COTA trail work events require the following safety measures:
    # All participants are required to have the following protective clothing and equipment:

* Sturdy shoes or boots

* Gloves

* Eye protection with clear or light colored lens

* Long pants

# Due to COTA's insurance requirements and the inherent dangers of trail work, we must implement the following policy regarding children at work events:

* For anyone 14 years of age or younger, we require one parent, guardian, or responsible adult for supervision of every four kids attending any COTA trail work events.

* All minors under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian available to sign our waiver.

Anyone who arrives for a work event may be turned away if he/she cannot meet the above requirements.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I challenge everyone single one of you that has viewed or is viewing this post to come on out Saturday and help build some great new trail at Wanoga!

it means 'no problem'
    Oct 2008
    Challenge accepted!

just a minor note - Breakfast will be at 9:00, no need to rush the gate at 8:15 (as it says on the poster, thanks for that by the way, Dave!)

There will be plenty of time to get your nosh on in the cold am. Let the dirt thaw a bit before we hit it.

Free Beer, Burritos and Raffle for all Volunteers at Parilla after trail work!
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    "I challenge everyone single one of you that has viewed or is viewing this post to come on out Saturday and help build some great new trail at Wanoga!"

I throw down the double challenge. I don't live in Bend full time (only here a few months each summer) and yet I have put in over 40hrs to the Wanoga trail complex in the last 2 weeks. You can bet that I will be there on Sat. to help build some more new trail.

Woody Keen- Trail Dynamics LLC

mtbr member
    Woody.

Thanks for the training on the machine Sunday. Looking forward to more practice time.
    Sunday with good turn out I think we can open Dinah Moe Humm, from Edison to Tiddlywinks.

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Any chance for some 2 stroke stoke on Saturday???
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SeenYour Crash
    Woody.

Thanks for the training on the machine Sunday. Looking forward to more practice time.
    Sunday with good turn out I think we can open Dinah Moe Humm, from Edison to Tiddlywinks.
    I think you meant "with a good turn out on Sat.". The big workday is Sat. Oct. 9th. Don't confuse me.

My pleasure in providing machine training for many of the great COTA crew leaders. I can go back out this Sunday (the day after the big workday) if needed, that will be my last available day. Next week I will be down working on Sandy Ridge for a few days, then we leave for NC on the 15th. Got to get back to my real job, very busy fall coming up with trail planning/design/education work in many different places.

Woody Keen

it means 'no problem'
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNick

Itchy chain saw finger?
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Keep Singletrack Single
    Count me in!! Looking forward to it!! Working on recruiting some additional labor.....friends, family, etc...
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNick

Nick, not sure if Kent has any log work to do on DMH, but we do need general sawyer work to improve sightlines. So, if you don't mind running a small saw, we could use some 2-stroke in the air.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SeenYour Crash
    Nick, not sure if Kent has any log work to do on DMH, but we do need general sawyer work to improve sightlines. So, if you don't mind running a small saw, we could use some 2-stroke in the air.

There is a little corridor clearing work to do down low as DMH joins the road below Bowl Butte. This is just forward of where Crash and I were running the machine last week. Kent may have that covered by someone else, I am not sure.

I would say bring saw gear just in case. Always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I did not however see any great ops for creative chainsaw work i.e. log rides and the like on the sections I have worked on. Maybe this is due to being so focused on get the tread roughed in with the machine and training COTA members on how to use the machine.

Woody

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Fall is in the air, it should be a perfect day for trail work on the new trails In Wanoga. Come one, come all. Pre work food and bev at the Batchie Park and Ride. Good work with fine folks building some sweet new trails. After work party with free beer and food. Does it get any better than that.

I can hardly wait.

Woody

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    What a great day in the woods with like 100 of my favorite people (many of whom I don't even know). What was the official headcount?

I did not get many photos from this workday: 1. It was raining (kind of hard at times) 2. There were a ton of folks behind me and it was all I could do to rough in trail with the machine fast enough.

Great work, and great after party.

Jo and I went and rode a lot of the new trail today (we were not the only ones) and had a great time. I will post a few photos from our ride on some of the new sections latter.

Thanks to everyone who came out for the day.

Woody Keen- Trail Dynamics LLC
    www.traildynamics.com