mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Bike stolen in Beaverton

If you see my bike, please let me know or administer the beat down in leui of my arrival if you want. Stolen off the roof of my vehicle at work yesterday. 2005 RM ETS-X 70, 18", with a Pike fork and Stans Flow wheels, Push'd Fox Float. Attached is a pic of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike stolen in Beaverton-stolen.jpg  

meatier showers
    Bummer, man. Best of luck locating the bike as well as the scumbag who lifted it.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Afric Pepperbird
    Dude, sorry to hear about that, but how could you possibly leave it out all day while at work?? (I'm assuming you were working for more than a half hours time? Or was this a run-in-and-back-out-again quick stop?)

Obviously Single
    Man, that sucks! Sorry to hear about that. Sometimes the lessons life teaches us are very expensive.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan View Post
    ... Sometimes the lessons life teaches us are very expensive.
    Yep. In insurance lingo it's called a "deductible."

That is unless life happens to be teaching us that we should have bought insurance as part of an even bigger lesson. That's called "SOL."

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yes, one lesson is lower deductible. Also, evne though the parking lot is open and patrolled by security, I won't leave it up there again. It was locked and bikes on roofs are plentiful at my employer. But, it is a steep lesson nonetheless. It will probably turn up eventually as it is not a common bike, but in the meantime, insurance is what I'll be working with and hopefully a new ride.

Obviously Single
    Quote Originally Posted by nh4cl View Post
    Yes, one lesson is lower deductible. Also, evne though the parking lot is open and patrolled by security, I won't leave it up there again. It was locked and bikes on roofs are plentiful at my employer. But, it is a steep lesson nonetheless. It will probably turn up eventually as it is not a common bike, but in the meantime, insurance is what I'll be working with and hopefully a new ride.
    I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but those of us that trust bike locks on our bike racks want to know: how did you have it locked? Did you just use the built-in lock in the roof rack? Along the same lines, how did they get around it? Brute force, lock pick, bolt cutters?

I used to leave my Ellsworth on top of my car (locked in my roof rack) at Intel, but I was always nervous about doing so, since it's a ridiculously large parking lot.
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    After 6-7 years, unfortunately the bike on the roof and locked with the Yakima King Cobra locking cable was not enough of a deterrant. They cut the cable and oddly the rear wheel strap. So I've been told that something like the Kryptonite Fahgeddabouit heavy duty chain and lock is a better choice. But then again, bringing it into work (if they let me) may be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Even minus the deductible, I was able to get a sweet deal on a 2011 Blur LTc. shipping today. Can't wait to get back on the trails, even if they are slick!

Obviously Single

Ride then?

Quote Originally Posted by nh4cl View Post
    Even minus the deductible, I was able to get a sweet deal on a 2011 Blur LTc. shipping today. Can't wait to get back on the trails, even if they are slick!
    Cool! I have a rare window of opportunity to ride this afternoon, if you get your bike today! ;-)
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I wish! It will be 4-8 days from today. I feel like a kid counting the days until Christmas!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan View Post
    I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but those of us that trust bike locks on our bike racks want to know: how did you have it locked? Did you just use the built-in lock in the roof rack? Along the same lines, how did they get around it? Brute force, lock pick, bolt cutters?

I used to leave my Ellsworth on top of my car (locked in my roof rack) at Intel, but I was always nervous about doing so, since it's a ridiculously large parking lot.
    I started running a heavy duty cable and descent pad lock around my bike on the roof. I've discovered that the Thule locking Sidearms and T2s can be defeated by just gripping the release lever really hard. The newer one's have a cable lock along with the release lock.

I didn't feel too bad about leaving my bike in the lot at Intel's Ronler Acres campus. There were enough security patrols and cameras around there. Of course, that could be out the window now with all the construction.