mtbr member
    May 2004

Bike 'n float Elijah to Clearwater

Today was a nice crisp fall day, a bit of frost this morning. I towed my boat from Thuston to Elijah Bristow then floated back to Clearwater park in Spingfield. I took the bike and trailer with me down the river and then deflated the kayak and carried it home in the trailer.

The place I got in wasn't accessable by automobile nor was the place I got out. I love how I don't have to worry about leaving a car somewhere or having someone shuttle me.

I wore a wet suit today for safety. My biggest concern is getting hung up in a strainer. I try to stay away from all that stuff. So far I haven't made any mistakes. Running the Willamette from Dexter to Eugene is something I do often and I really enjoy it.

Pics.........Not in order for some reason

1. The backway to Jasper

2 Mt Pisgah

3. Monster rock

4. Jasper bridge, checking the river guage

5. About 11 easy miles from home.

6. The trail to the river in Elijah Bristow.

7. Trailer folded and tied in the boat with old rd tubes

8. The tubes on top make is easy to tip the boat back over if I have to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lef-t; 10-07-2009 at 12:03 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004

The river from Elijah to Jasper

PIcs from the river...

1. One of the nice rapids near Elijah Bristow

2. A railroad bridge above Jasper, hard to get to without an train or boat.

3. I watched a friend get washed out of his kayak by this strainer, he lost some gear.

4. That really cool deck in the Jasper hills

5. That rock, you know what it's called.

6. Hill Creek old flour mill site near Jasper.

7. Fed X truck on the Jasper Bridge

8. I always check this water level guage to see what the rivers doing, 10 feet is flood stage.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Jasper to Clearwater

Pics..........

1. Home along the river, I watched I guy catch a fish off his deck.

2. Thuston hills, osprey nest on that tower

3. Some poor tuber learned the hard way about root wads, this thing gives me the creeps.

4. Evening and near the end of my float.

5. I keep a small dry bag with cell phone and wallet attached to my life jacket. I have an knife and whistle handy too.

6. Boat ramp at Clearwater, boat deflats fast and easily fits in the trailer.

7. Packed up and heading five miles back home. Clearwater park is closed and under construction, I can still get out there.

8. Baracades are no issue for bikes, leaving Clearwater park and heading home.
    Last edited by lef-t; 10-08-2009 at 07:15 AM.

mtbr member
    looks like a lot of fun

Obviously Single
    Sweet sweet views along the river, Lef-t my man!

I should haul my sorry a$$ down there again and ride with you, though I don't have a trailer or boat ...
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

(not that fast)
    you always have such cool posts, keep them coming!

mtbr member
    Nice work!
    What are the inner-tubes for? Life preservers for the bike and trailer?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Extra floatation

[QUOTE=swift]Nice work!
    What are the inner-tubes for? Life preservers for the bike and trailer?[/QUOTE

I can roll the boat over and right it easier with the inner tubes on top. My stuff barely gets wet. I've practiced but never acually flipped it in a rapid. I also carry an extra kayak paddle, I found it above the Fall creek confluence.

mtbr member
    May 2004

I plan on going to the next ACM

Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    Sweet sweet views along the river, Lef-t my man!

I should haul my sorry a$$ down there again and ride with you, though I don't have a trailer or boat ...
    Now that I have a new toy it's hard to take time to actually mtn bike. The liquid trails are so close to my house, it's kinda like mtn biking but now I can go backwards and it's all downhill.

mtbr member
    May 2004

I have a hobo stove on board

Quote Originally Posted by fastale
    you always have such cool posts, keep them coming!
    I can stop on an Island, boils some water for warmth, keep going all winter with hot water bags in my life jacket. Meat sacks and hot beer too.

Thanks for your support......

mtbr member
    Very nice.

mtbr member
    As always, Tom, I love your posts. I hope to see some more winter travels and camping along with hobo stove pix this winter.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Thanks Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    As always, Tom, I love your posts. I hope to see some more winter travels and camping along with hobo stove pix this winter.
    I'm glad you love my posts, I went to a lot of trouble trying to take pics and paddle. I was worried the whole time I would get my camera wet.

The hobo stove will come in handy this winter, it's perfect for the river and winter camping. There's nothing better than a hot water bag under my coat when it's cold. It's so easy to prepare with a hobo stove.

Where do you live Bob?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    I'm glad you love my posts, I went to a lot of trouble trying to take pics and paddle. I was worried the whole time I would get my camera wet.

The hobo stove will come in handy this winter, it's perfect for the river and winter camping. There's nothing better than a hot water bag under my coat when it's cold. It's so easy to prepare with a hobo stove.

Where do you live Bob?
    Have you thought about a water proof case or even a sealed sanwhich bag for the camera?

We're (wife, kiddo, me) currently in TX. I lost my job a little over a year ago which made us re-think my career choice (yearly decline in market), so I'm back in school (after 15 years) to obtain my RN. The wife is already a nurse, so once I finish school, we're looking at a new landing spot. The PNW has really piqued our interest, the wife is really wanting to visit the Eugene/Springfield area. I feel confident with both of us being in the medical field that employment shouldn't be a challenge. With any luck in a year or two I might be able to join you guys for some ACM or BC fun as a local!

mtbr member
    May 2004

I hope you visit Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Have you thought about a water proof case or even a sealed sanwhich bag for the camera?

We're (wife, kiddo, me) currently in TX. I lost my job a little over a year ago which made us re-think my career choice (yearly decline in market), so I'm back in school (after 15 years) to obtain my RN. The wife is already a nurse, so once I finish school, we're looking at a new landing spot. The PNW has really piqued our interest, the wife is really wanting to visit the Eugene/Springfield area. I feel confident with both of us being in the medical field that employment shouldn't be a challenge. With any luck in a year or two I might be able to join you guys for some ACM or BC fun as a local!
    I moved here from Arizona six years ago. I never regreted it. I love it here. You shouldn't have trouble finding a job in the medical field. I've been a bike mechanic for 17 years. I didn't have trouble finding and keeping a job in a Eugene bike shop. You can heal the people and I can heal the bikes. We should never run out of work in Eugene.

Zip lock bag would have been a good thing. I shot a lot of pics in rapids and eddies. That's when I was a little worried about my camera. Good thing inflatable kayaks are so stable.

meatier showers
    Sick!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member

Camera protection

Great stuff Tom, thanks for posting.

I wouldn't trust zip-lock bags too far. They can have leaks you can't see at the welded seams, or at the zipper area.

I have used a mini dry bag before with good results when we rolled a canoe. Just make sure the bag's rolled enough times before engaging the closure mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    Zip lock bag would have been a good thing. I shot a lot of pics in rapids and eddies. That's when I was a little worried about my camera. Good thing inflatable kayaks are so stable.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Great posts Lef-t. Another river rat here, but I have yet to combine kayaking and biking like you have. Good stuff - thanks.