Thread: Bike demos

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Bike demos

Is anyone aware of a place, preferably in southern Oregon that lets you demo bikes on actual trails? I always feel a little iffy throwing down 4 grand on something I havent had first hand experience with...
    Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Many shops in Bend let you demo and then the rental price goes towards your purchase. Do look up the Bend dealer on the bike companies website you are interested in. Almost every brand is represented here, so you should find what you are looking for!
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    search around for the major bike manufacturer websites, find their demo event schedules. I know for certain that Trek is having another demo event in Grants Pass in a few months.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse
    search around for the major bike manufacturer websites, find their demo event schedules. I know for certain that Trek is having another demo event in Grants Pass in a few months.
    Key words being, "in a few months." Any bike manufacturer would be crazy to host a demo event in Oregon in January. Ain't gonna happen.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mangai.rollin
    Not true SpartyPants.

Bionicon's in Hood River right now. They just dropped off a load of bikes in Bend and are playing around a bit before heading back to Norcal. We are setting up a demo ride at Syncline this Sat. I'll put details in a post of its own.
    '10 Ibis Mojo SL
    www.mangai-rollin.com We are hiring
    pdx mtb

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nice, thanks guys

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    What kind of bike are you looking for?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    looking for a ~7 inch freeride rig...

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by mcewan13
    Not true SpartyPants.

Bionicon's in Hood River right now. They just dropped off a load of bikes in Bend and are playing around a bit before heading back to Norcal. We are setting up a demo ride at Syncline this Sat. I'll put details in a post of its own.
    Okay ya got me. But their demo event is a-l-m-o-s-t in February, so I was only wrong by two days.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by applecakes
    looking for a ~7 inch freeride rig...
    There aren't any shops around here that offer that. Your best bet is to try friends bikes. I think Ashland Mountain Adventures offers a SX Trail for rent, but they're focused on winter sports currently... How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Im 5'9".. I have been swapping with friends for a ride every now and then, but everyone around here has similar bikes it seems.. santa cruz, giant, specialized, a norco here and there... Im more interested in boutiquey type bikes like transition, cove, or intense...

mangai.rollin
    What's your time frame?
    I'll likely be doing some demos in early-mid April. Portland for The Bicycle Show; somewhere's off I-5 - probably Ashland - on the road down to Sea Otter, and then one after SO somewhere near San Fran. There will be quite a few mfrs passing through on their way to and from Sea Otter, so if I can rally a few, there's a possibility to ride more than one brand.

There's also MBO in July and August. It's a great place to demo bikes.
    '10 Ibis Mojo SL
    www.mangai-rollin.com We are hiring
    pdx mtb

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That would be awesome. Ill be headed down to sea otter also on the 14th i believe... But it would be cool to catch a few demos before then. Thanks for the info guys!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by applecakes
    Im 5'9".. I have been swapping with friends for a ride every now and then, but everyone around here has similar bikes it seems.. santa cruz, giant, specialized, a norco here and there... Im more interested in boutiquey type bikes like transition, cove, or intense...
    I see. That's not easy... Most of those brands are a special order type of deal. The dealers around here just don't stock stuff like that. Also, you're limiting yourself to a lower parts spec. with your budget. Any of those frames will eat half your money, at least. Best advice I can give is to try and decide what bike's have felt the best to you on the trail. Then, compare geometry with the frames you're interested in. This is pretty much how I've bought most of the bikes I've owned...

If I hear of anything similar to what you're asking about, I'll try and post it here. I don't know how patient you are, but the Black Rock demo day last year had a ton of sweet bikes to try. Evil, Intense, and Transition were all there with bikes to try. (I missed it. ) I'm hoping they do it again this year.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks cliffy, Ill keep my ear out for the Blackrock demo day as well.