Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mouth-Breather / Huffer

Bicycle Mechanic/Service Manager needed in Hood River

I apologize if this is an inappropriate place to convey this information. If so, just let me know and I'll delete it.

Anyhow, being that I am currently unemployed, I have a tendency to look for job every so often. During one of these rare instances, I came across the following post on Craigslist for a bike mechanic in Hood River and thought someone from here might be interested...

Bicycle Mechanic/Service Manager (Hood River)
    http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/trd/1259975908.html

Text from post:
    Seeking experienced (2-3 years MINIMUM) bicycle mechanic to fulfill role of Service Manager for successful full-service shop in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge, one of the country's fastest growing mountain bike destinations that also has a strong road and ever-growing multisport scene. Position requires knowledge of suspension set-up, service and repair, wheel-building skills, and strong problem-solving ability. In addition to overseeing the timely completion of repairs and maintenance of the rental fleet, the Service Manager will also work in conjunction with the Buyer to ensure a consistent supply of repair parts, shop consumables and also the fulfillment of customer warranty issues. A strong work ethic, follow through, attention to detail, ability to work in a team environment and a good sense of humor are all critical to the role, as well as a strong sense of customer service.

Position is full time. Pay according to experience. Benefits and relocation assistance available.

NOTE:
    I have no association with either the person who posted the above ad or Craigslist.
    panem et circenses

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I wonder which shop

Oh, and they will pay you $8 an hour plus all the BS you can stand. Good find.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Debbie Downer strikes again. Dude, seek help.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Wow!

If only we all could have an occupation as noble as yours.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Should I bother mentioning that the Performance retail store in Tualatin needs another mechanic? Neil, the primary guy, is an excellent, long-time wrench, but Performance terminated the second mechanic and now they need someone *reliable* to help Neil.

Dang... I'm spending too much time in bike shops.
    panem et circenses

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity
    Beers on me for a month if you can get Jaybo to use that as his signature line for a year.

Seriously.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Beers on me for a month if you can get Jaybo to use that as his signature line for a year.

Seriously.
    I could guarantee it, but I no longer drink
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

GO apply

It may be $10 an hour and no benefits. Sorry to be the bearer of reality. You find that objectionable fine.

Jaybo

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

You are 50?

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo

Seriously.
    Right? Carry on

Jaybo

Tree Hugger
    Debbie Downer strikes again.

Nice one
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    It may be $10 an hour and no benefits. Sorry to be the bearer of reality. You find that objectionable fine.

Jaybo

You know what? I do find that objectionable. This is a bike forum. There are a lot of people here who work in shops, have worked in shops or value people who work in shops. Why do you feel the need to disparage their chosen line of work? Because they aren't getting rich? Let's say I make more money than you. Does that mean I should be looking down my nose at you? Does that mean you are wasting your life at a crappy job?

I worked in the bike industry for over ten years. I didn't get rich but I did have a blast, worked with cool people, rode a lot, got good deals on parts, enjoyed a flexible schedule and did something I was good at. It isn't all about money.

You seem to have a little trouble with bike shops in general. Most people like going to the bike shop. I think you must be doing it wrong.

Lastly, If you could please take kosmo up on his signature suggestion I would REALLY appreciate it. I am heading to Whistler this month and my bar tab is going to be enormous.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mudnthebloodnthebeer

...Most people like going to the bike shop. I think you must be doing it wrong...
    +1. I've got a pretty decent career these days, but my bike shop days were the best days of my working life, hands down.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I apologize

What I said was rude. My point was working at a bike shop in Hood River is like waiting tables or some other survival job. It is tough. I know, good money is relative and some would not show up to my paltry State job due to the pay.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    FWIW, I think the job is at Discover Bikes. Nice shop, good people, great trails in the immediate area. May not be the final step in your career path, but there are worse places to be.

AW_
    locked - time out

shop life

If you are a bike person, there is no better place to be. Money isn't everything. Life is short, and bikes are rad. Some people love to work on bikes. Some people love to complain about everything on the internet. Figure out what makes you happy and go for it.

If I live to be an old man, and I look back on my life, which memories will I hold onto? Days spent in the shop with cool people, good vibes, and dialing in the mechanical devices which bring people immense amounts of joy? Or the days spent filing TPS reports in a little grey cube and trying to get my escape by staring at images on this glowing rectangular screen?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    If you are a bike person, there is no better place to be. Money isn't everything. Life is short, and bikes are rad. Some people love to work on bikes. Some people love to complain about everything on the internet. Figure out what makes you happy and go for it.

If I live to be an old man, and I look back on my life, which memories will I hold onto? Days spent in the shop with cool people, good vibes, and dialing in the mechanical devices which bring people immense amounts of joy? Or the days spent filing TPS reports in a little grey cube and trying to get my escape by staring at images on this glowing rectangular screen?
    Man, I think trying to get some anal retentive roadie's front derailleur to shift correctly could be stressful. Go work in a bike shop for a while and report back. I would love to see you put feet to your words.

Jaybo

AW_
    locked - time out
    Man, I think trying to get some anal retentive roadie's front derailleur to shift correctly could be stressful. Go work in a bike shop for a while and report back. I would love to see you put feet to your words.

Jaybo
    I guess if you don't know how to adjust a front derailleur, then you probably wouldn't enjoy the job.

mtbr member

Jaybo
    Bo', think windmills. While your dream job would be climbing windmills, for others it is working and being around bikes and people who share the same passion. I personally, wouldn't like working in a bike shop much for the very reason of having to deal with the episodic, demanding, obsessive/compulsive cyclist, but would be cool to dig on bike stuff most of the day and get paid, even if it is not a whole lot. My dream job on the other hand, would be to be a mapmaker or topographer, which very well may be another person's nightmare.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    What I said was rude. My point was working at a bike shop in Hood River is like waiting tables or some other survival job. It is tough. I know, good money is relative and some would not show up to my paltry State job due to the pay.

Jaybo
    Fair enough. I was pretty harsh but I do appreciate someone who is big enough to say when they were wrong.
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    As a mechanic mechanic currently working in Hood River, I would have to agree with Jaybo. The pay does suck, there are no benefits and in general, the person whos bike you are fixing are impatient, unappreciative and disrespectful. I've been wrenching on bikes for over a decade, in numerous shops and cities, and I must say that this is the least satisfying city to be a bike mechanic in.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Bo', think windmills. While your drem job would be climbing windmills, for others it is working and being around bikes and people who share the same passion. I personally, wouldn't like working in a bike shop much for the very reason of having to deal with the episodic, demanding, obsessive/compulsive cyclist, but would be cool to dig on bike stuff most of the day and get paid, even if it is not a whole lot. My dream job on the other hand, would be to be a mapmaker or topographer, which very well may be another person's nightmare.
    Man, those windmills would be great for fitness and not having to deal with idiots. I don't know, you might do well as a tour guide or a maybe at the help desk at some local hospital at their IT desk Both would be great career fields for you.

By the way, I drove across the Hood River Bridge wondering how much fun a kite board would be. Hmm.

Jaybo

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Tell me where you work

Quote Originally Posted by jmeldrum26
    As a mechanic mechanic currently working in Hood River, I would have to agree with Jaybo. The pay does suck, there are no benefits and in general, the person whos bike you are fixing are impatient, unappreciative and disrespectful. I've been wrenching on bikes for over a decade, in numerous shops and cities, and I must say that this is the least satisfying city to be a bike mechanic in.
    I'm actually very good to mechanics when I get stuck. I have enjoyed the service at Discover Bikes. I tip a good mechanic who can do stuff I can't figure out.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Came across this the other day.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Actually

Quote Originally Posted by swift
    Wow!

If only we all could have an occupation as noble as yours.
    Most folks could or would not do what I do. My job is rather noble.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Actually

Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    I guess if you don't know how to adjust a front derailleur, then you probably wouldn't enjoy the job.
    I'm not worth a damn with getting front derailleur's to shift well. Exactly what is your point?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast