I5Troll

Best W. Oregon trails... recommendations?

What are the best Oregon rides close to I-5? I'm driving from Seattle to San Francisco and am looking for technical or 2-3 hour scenic rides vs. long/epic rides. I'd like to stay relatively close to I-5 on the way down, because I'll be making a detour through Bend and Hood River on the way back up.

Searching this board, it sounds like the N Umpqua trail is a contender. Where sould I start? Is there a good 2-3 hour section <1 hr from Roseburg?

What about near Salem or Eugene? In the far south, any great rides near Grants Pass or Ashland that are rideable this time of year?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

This is my subject line...

Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2
    What are the best Oregon rides close to I-5? I'm driving from Seattle to San Francisco and am looking for technical or 2-3 hour scenic rides vs. long/epic rides. I'd like to stay relatively close to I-5 on the way down, because I'll be making a detour through Bend and Hood River on the way back up.

Searching this board, it sounds like the N Umpqua trail is a contender. Where sould I start? Is there a good 2-3 hour section <1 hr from Roseburg?

What about near Salem or Eugene? In the far south, any great rides near Grants Pass or Ashland that are rideable this time of year?

Thanks!
    Here's the scoop from the Eugene area: The goods near Oakridge are about 45 minutes off I-5, maybe a little less....unless you ride in the Hardesty Mountain Trail network at milepost 21 on Hwy. 58 off I-5. (Check conditions first; I've heard there are a bunch of trees down, plus Goodman Creek is virtually unrideable due to wetness until July) Brice Creek is about 22 miles off I-5 at Cottage Grove (just south of Eugene). Probably 30-45 minutes to get to the lower N. Umpqua trail at Swiftwater Park outside of Glide. The next access for N. Umpqua is 16 slow, winding (but pretty) miles up Hwy. 138. Out and back is far and away the best option on N. Umpqua.

I'm doing a road trip from Eugene to L.A. in May, and my friend General Coonskins gave me the info on the Clickipudi (sp?) trail, not far off I-5 in Redding. There are trail reviews of it on this here website.

'Course, there's always the McKenzie River Trail, about an hour, hour:fifteen off I-5. Certainly worth it if you've never been. Or, send a message to the Disciples of Dirt e-list at DisciplesofDirt@yahoo.com as the time nears, and see if you could hook up with one of us locals.

Happy riding!

mtbr member

Salem Area

Thanks!
    About 30 minutes west of Salem is the premier MTB trailsytem in Oregon (IMO!!) Located in Falls City is the Blackrock trail system. It is geared towards freeride (many man made features and stunts) but the trails all have bypasses so you don't have to hit things if you don't have the skill/bike/huevos for it. I rode my xc bike out there all last year & had a blast; but the more travel you have, the more fun it is.
    I wouldn't pass it up, as this place is the only sanctioned freeride mtb park in Oregon. Thousands of hours of work to the trails have made this place the mecca...http://blackrockfreeride.org
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

I5Troll

The ride plan

Thanks for all the replies! Due to the snow around Bend, the plan has changed... I'm going to try to hit:
    - N. Umpqua
    - McKenzie River
    - Black Rock
    Can't wait!

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Ashland has great riding, starting right in town. I'd argue that is some of the best in OR. Not sure if it'll be snow free for your trip though. Others on here should know...

They have enough trail for anything from a quick 2-3 hour ride, to an all day epic.

highly visible
    Thanks for all the replies! Due to the snow around Bend, the plan has changed... I'm going to try to hit:
    - N. Umpqua
    - McKenzie River
    - Black Rock
    Can't wait!
    That seems like a good plan. A lot of the best riding within an hour of I-5 is definitely in Lane County (Eugene area), and you can't go wrong with North Umpqua and McKenzie. Try to time McKenzie for a weekday if you can - it gets very crowded, especially on nice weekends, and I fear that the resulting conflicts will inevitably lead to bike exclusion.

Another great riding area, very close to I-5, is the Stella network near Longview, WA. If you haven't already done so, you might post a message on the WA board and see if redhaze or one of the other Longview locals can show you around.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo