Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Metalheadbikerider

The best trail in Oregon

The OR board has been a bit stale as of late, so.........What is THE BEST trail in Oregon? Never mind the distance, type of trail, etc. What do you believe is the single best trail in the entire state?
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    the 'off-road' path from my computer to my fridge. puts a smile on my face every time.

mtbr member
    Dirt Merchant.

I'm not too good with geography.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

it means 'no problem'
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Metalheadbikerider

That's what I'm talking about....

Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie
    a 66 mile trail I have never heard of. Keep em coming.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent
    a 66 mile trail I have never heard of. Keep em coming.

That's only the N. half of it.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/frewin/recre...wmtrails.shtml
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    The Dutch Flat Trail...I probably wouldn't consider this the best (very close though) trail in Oregon, but, it was my favorite ride from last summer. Very, very rooty and rocky for most of it's 9 mile (one way) length and culminates at the very scenic Dutch Flat Lake. It is in the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest off of the road to Anthony Lakes.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

meatier showers
    Huh. Surprised to hear this inasmuch as a buddy went down to ride it a few years ago and said it was mile after mile of solidified cow hoofprint craters. Maybe he wasn't on a FS sled.

I'd always wanted to ride it up 'til he told me that.

So what is it that makes it the best? Thanks.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Afric Pepperbird
    I'll need to try this come summer. How is the tread? Horse-shot-to-hell? Does it get very sandy?

I love that part of the state. I wish there were more trails near there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Huh. Surprised to hear this inasmuch as a buddy went down to ride it a few years ago and said it was mile after mile of solidified cow hoofprint craters. Maybe he wasn't on a FS sled.

I'd always wanted to ride it up 'til he told me that.

So what is it that makes it the best? Thanks.

--Sparty
    I have friends that go down from Portland every year and love it, but I've also heard what you are saying, cow pies and hoofprints, plus a lot of burned areas. I've never been but would like to check it out someday.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

it means 'no problem'
    Alright then.

In my experiences over the past 9 years of going down there, I've seen the cow-stomped and horse-trodden stuff but by far the majority of the trail, I'd characterize as primitive, unused single track in a very remote setting. The large fires of 2002 (Winter fire mainly) killed many trees along many of the northern segments and the FS has been backlogged on clearing it out. Other segments (particularly from Chewaucan Crossing south past Morgan Butte to Cox Pass TH) have been maintained better. Most of the trail heads are very difficult to locate and once on the trail it is occasionally a challenge to stay on the trail.

For sure one has to 1) decide to suffer some; 2) pick a time when the conditions are ripe (AND be lucky) or 3) some of both. The trail is NOT for everyone, but it was designed and constructed originally around 2000 - 2001 to connect some sections of historic trail, in some cases old trapper / native trails, and some "modern" user trails - such as hunter and FS lookout staff user trails accessing the various lookouts. There is a rich and interesting history to the area.

On a typical day you'll ride some horse trail, some cow trail and A LOT of virgin trail that nobody uses. The FS is very helpful to visitors and all one needs to do is inquire locally about trail conditions at the Silver Lake, Paisley or Lakeview FS offices. They can tell you things like who is grazing their cows and where, whether there's any other groups on the trail and whether or not it has been cleared of blow down. You CAN go on your own, but good luck.

That, or get with COTA or Cog Wild later this summer. COTA is planning (with Cog Wild's help) to conduct a couple recon / trail clearing missions late in the summer (after the mosquitoes have subsided) and Cog is planning a first-ever 3-day tour there in September. (Epic but "no-worries" version of the Fremont NRT)

In my opinion, the Fremont is HANDS DOWN the most epic trail I've ever ridden. So sure there's better ones out there, I just haven't ridden them yet. (Elkhorn Mtns, CDT Kokpelli's come to mind...)

Check here for some cool photos:

http://www.cogwild.com/blog

This helps?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

The Best Trail

Hands down, is whatever one the shuttle-bugs and huck-stables haven't found or are too lazy to pedal.
    [SIZE=2]I like to start out slow and then back it off a notch.[/SIZE]

highly visible
    Waldo's still my favorite.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    If I tell you. I will have to kill you.

Making fat cool since '71
    I'm really falling in love with the trail(s) on my property...nothing for grumpy phucks though...just fun lovers.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    Waldo's still my favorite.
    Yeah, that whole high lakes area: Waldo, Maiden, The Twins, Charlton, Gold Lake. Lots of great options for putting together big days and days on end (sigh). Might be a small window of opportunity, but when it's good, it's really good.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The OR board has been a bit stale as of late, so.........What is THE BEST trail in Oregon? Never mind the distance, type of trail, etc. What do you believe is the single best trail in the entire state?
    The one I happen to be riding at the moment.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The one I happen to be riding at the moment.
    Me, too, except when it's too muddy, has two or more big downed trees per mile, or after I get my second pinch-flat. Then it's the worst trail in Oregon.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by unoveloce
    Hands down, is whatever one the shuttle-bugs and huck-stables haven't found or are too lazy to pedal.
    There's no trail I can't pedal sir...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Metalheadbikerider

Fence-sitter!

Pick one!

mtbr member
    Pick one!
    Where is your pick FA?

Black Rock - Most fun.
    MRT - Best wife/GF ride
    Suzanne Lake - Best swimming hole
    Red Lake Loop - Best technical single track
    Whoops - Best alpine pump track
    Adams Mtn - Best primitive descent
    Waldo - If I really had to pick one
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Adams Mt. Way has something like 75 (estimating, stopped counting at 50) trees down on it at the moment...kind of a flow killer. Trying to get the FS to commit to helping a group of us in clearing it. It's a *really* low priority though.

Brock...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    Adams Mt. Way has something like 75 (estimating, stopped counting at 50) trees down on it at the moment...kind of a flow killer. Trying to get the FS to commit to helping a group of us in clearing it. It's a *really* low priority though.

Brock...

That's too bad. Let me know if there is ever a work party. That one is worthy of taking back. How is Crawfish?
    - Albert Einstein

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Pick one!
    I did! I can only ride one trail at a time.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Crawfish is fine. A couple switchbacks are shot to hell thanks in large part to some underground racing without any repair work by said group/crew/whatever. We've fixed one and I cut a lot of wood last fall. The very top (from Knott down to the first road crossing; where the old lookout was) needs a lot of brushing and from the first crossing to the second needs a bit but overall it's not bad.

Brock...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast