Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    954

    Best technical single track DH/FR trails in Ptown

    Hi everyone...are there any decent single track, DH/FR trails in the Portland vicinity?

    I grew up in Portland most of my life, but did mostly street riding until I moved to Seattle about 15 years ago and discovered how awesome DH and FR, and epic single track can be. I've been scouring the forums, but most of the trails that sounded appealing (Blackrock/Post Canyon) are a bit far to hit on a weekly basis. I guess I got spoiled in Seattle with all of the awesome riding within 30-45 minute radius. I love DH, but will be happy with any technical fun flowy single track with a few small drops thrown in for good measure.

    I'm looking at moving back to Portland in the near future. but the only trail that sounds promising is Browns camp over by the zoo based on the trail reviews. Are there any other good fun and flowy or techical trails within 30-45 min of Ptown?

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Some of the Seattle area trails I really like are Tokul, Tiger Mountain, Lake Sawyer, and now Duthie to name a few....

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BrianN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    44
    From Portland, Mt Hood has some great trails. Gunsight comes to mind. Unrelenting is how I would describe it.

    -B
    I'm insane

  3. #3
    I got nothin'
    Reputation: hydrogeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    683
    A couple of things, Brown's Camp is in the Tillamook Forest which is about an hour west of Portland. Unfortunately it is not really a DH trail, but big things are being worked on out there to create DH trails. Stay tuned. Although I think it is a great XC trail.

    There is one new DH inspired trail out near the Sandy River (maybe 30 minutes away) with more on the way. Scappoose is the closest riding but not what I would call swoopy-flowing single track. More like slow technical riding, but the south side does have some DH sections.

    Other than that the closest and best DH and FR would be Black Rock, Post Canyon, and Syncline (one to two hour drive). Some of the best in the state, but what do I know I still ride a single speed.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,120
    I'm sure I will get flamed...Oregon does not have much as far as technical FR or DH trails. Sure there is the techy section at Larch Mt Oregon, the DH trail in the Tillamook that must go un-named for now, Coyote Canyon at Syncline is technical and rocky and then there is Post Canyon and Blackrock as you mentioned. Ashland/Medford does have some nice FR/DH trails, but thats kind of far from Portland. As far as true DH/FR around Portland, and in Oregon for that matter, not much exists. If you are moving from the Seattle area to Portland and want FR/DH, you will be disappointed. Oregon trails are pretty much, just trails.

    I also wouldn't put the Sandy Ridge trail in the same category as some of the trails around Seattle.

    On the bright side, it sounds like the Tillamook is about to get some true FR/DH stuff.

    And, isn't Wendells (or somebody affiliated) doing something east of Sandy? I believe it is private though.

    How about Astoria? I have heard something, but have never been there to ride.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

  5. #5
    FKA Malibu412
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,293
    And speaking of Syncline, Little Moab and portions of Hidden Valley offer some technical possibilities with rocky sections and drops.

    Post Canyon??
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    954
    Thanks guys, that helps. It still seems like its a commute, but hey gotta do what I gotta do to get my fix. Boy I sure got spoiled in Seattle, so much great riding close in.

  7. #7
    Singletrack Addict
    Reputation: Snake Muesl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,145
    The tide may be on the rise for more of which you seek. In the mean time, you ought to be able to get your fix, especially if you're willing to do a little work (*gasp* pedaling). Alas, your ideal drive time will double, but you'll explore some beautiful landscape along the way.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    954
    No prob, I'm ok with earning my turns...What goes up must come down. Well, hopefully lol!

    Tillamook sounds interesting, but if I'm going to drive an over an hour I think I would rather go to Post Canyon. We'll see how it develops and go from there.

    Thanks again for the input guys..see ya on the trails.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,119

    Thanks for the morning laugh...

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBidnezz
    Thanks guys, that helps. It still seems like its a commute, but hey gotta do what I gotta do to get my fix. Boy I sure got spoiled in Seattle, so much great riding close in.
    Many riders up here around Seattle constantly complain about trail access. That they have to drive 30 minutes or even that they have to get in their car to drive to a trailhead. Me, I have 11 different places within 30 minutes but that's one of the reasons I don't live in West Seattle for example. We do have WAY more trail systems than we did 10 years ago however and that trend of growth is continuing as it seems to be in the Portland area as well.

    Seems like your take is more "XC/AM" style trails than pure DH/FR though with the places you mentioned up here. (None are really DH/FR with the exception of the few lines in Duthie.) So, if you ask about more XC/AM stuff you may get a different, more hopeful response.

  10. #10
    Metalheadbikerider
    Reputation: free-agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,518

    New Sandy trails...

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBidnezz
    No prob, I'm ok with earning my turns...What goes up must come down. Well, hopefully lol!

    Tillamook sounds interesting, but if I'm going to drive an over an hour I think I would rather go to Post Canyon. We'll see how it develops and go from there.

    Thanks again for the input guys..see ya on the trails.
    are awesome. I would consider them fast, flowy fun. There is a road climb to the top, and then let it rip! It is a mtb purpose built trail, so the flow is great. There is also a fun jumpline with a couple of stunts at the bottom. Currently, there is also work being done on an 8 mile loop at the top. These trails are 45 minutes from my door in Portland.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

  11. #11
    mangai.rollin
    Reputation: mcewan13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    132
    There are DH riders who find ways to have fun inside of Portland proper and w/in a 30 min drive. They are not discussed much and you will have to be on the ground here and rubbin armor w/ local riders to find most of them. Be friendly and be diligent. ...and once you're established here, take a group of us back up N for session through your old haunts.
    '10 Ibis Mojo SL
    www.mangai-rollin.com We are hiring
    pdx mtb

  12. #12
    Leave it all on the trail
    Reputation: Switchback78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    227
    Oh Houseman.... always has a positive tilt to add to the conversation.

    Are the trails out the back door like Bend and Ashland? No... but there is plenty Freeride and DH trails available to a Portlander. Do you have to drive? Yes you do, but not only do you get first class singletrack, downhill, or gorgeous wooden features you get some of the most amazing old growth forests in the US IMHO. The forests and isolation make the the trip worth it everytime. Plus its nice to get out of the SE and away from all the hipsters and there saabs mcewan13 is right especially in regards to the DH, some are secret and some just aren't known that well. You will find most in the NW are willing to show you and the hospitality amongst bike riders has always been nothing less than impressive since I moved from KY 6 years ago.

    As far as I am concerned we are in a good place for riders of all kinds!
    C$
    Ride. Dig. Party.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo

    Seems like your take is more "XC/AM" style trails than pure DH/FR though with the places you mentioned up here. (None are really DH/FR with the exception of the few lines in Duthie.) So, if you ask about more XC/AM stuff you may get a different, more hopeful response.
    I totally agree, I just didn't want to go to lengths of mentioning all of the local trails local DH/FR like the exits, PA South Seatac, Collonade etc etc. East Tokul and Duthie have a lot of what I would call ideal since flowtron and some of the other lines are fast and have some decent drops mixed in.

    I would much rather ride Whistler, and PA shore style trails but realize that isn't easy to come by. Its always.better to ask for the more extreme and get something in between I've found.
    Last edited by MonkeyBidnezz; 01-15-2010 at 01:06 PM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent
    are awesome. I would consider them fast, flowy fun. There is a road climb to the top, and then let it rip! It is a mtb purpose built trail, so the flow is great. There is also a fun jumpline with a couple of stunts at the bottom. Currently, there is also work being done on an 8 mile loop at the top. These trails are 45 minutes from my door in Portland.
    All right, sounds like a winner! 45 min huh? When I move back I'll be in the west hills, for some reason I don't recall Tillamook being that close. You don't live in Aloha or Beaverton now do you? hahahha

  15. #15
    Metalheadbikerider
    Reputation: free-agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,518

    Nope

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBidnezz
    All right, sounds like a winner! 45 min huh? When I move back I'll be in the west hills, for some reason I don't recall Tillamook being that close. You don't live in Aloha or Beaverton now do you? hahahha
    The new Sandy trails are located on HWY 26 towards Mt. Hood, the opposite direction as Tillamook.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by mcewan13
    There are DH riders who find ways to have fun inside of Portland proper and w/in a 30 min drive. They are not discussed much and you will have to be on the ground here and rubbin armor w/ local riders to find most of them. Be friendly and be diligent. ...and once you're established here, take a group of us back up N for session through your old haunts.
    Hey sounds like a plan. One thing that always amazes me is how close and friendly the biking community is as a whole. Yeah you get your occasional aholes but for the most part everyone that rides...loves to ride and shares the passion. I'll be in touch...believe you me!

  17. #17
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,530

    It is a drive

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBidnezz
    Hi everyone...are there any decent single track, DH/FR trails in the Portland vicinity?

    I grew up in Portland most of my life, but did mostly street riding until I moved to Seattle about 15 years ago and discovered how awesome DH and FR, and epic single track can be. I've been scouring the forums, but most of the trails that sounded appealing (Blackrock/Post Canyon) are a bit far to hit on a weekly basis. I guess I got spoiled in Seattle with all of the awesome riding within 30-45 minute radius. I love DH, but will be happy with any technical fun flowy single track with a few small drops thrown in for good measure.

    I'm looking at moving back to Portland in the near future. but the only trail that sounds promising is Browns camp over by the zoo based on the trail reviews. Are there any other good fun and flowy or techical trails within 30-45 min of Ptown?

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Some of the Seattle area trails I really like are Tokul, Tiger Mountain, Lake Sawyer, and now Duthie to name a few....

    Thanks in advance.
    You have to drive at least 45-60 minutes to find good riding. I have been going to spin class and working out at the gym too much this time of year. Syncline is a real mess I dream of some sunshine and warm weather. Oh, we"ll, wish in one and and crap in the other. Bottom line is riding much in PDX is tough right now. But yaw, the Sandy stuff and other trails around here are very good.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 01-15-2010 at 03:11 PM.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    You have to drive at least 45-60 minutes to find good riding. I have been going to spin class and working out at the gym too much this time of year. Syncline is a real mess I dream of some sunshine and warm weather. Oh, we"ll, wish in one and and crap in the other. Bottom line is riding much in PDX is tough right now. But yaw, the Sandy stuff and other trails around here are very good.
    Yeah, that's kind of what I'm gathering from all of the input. Thanks guys. I'm guessing this is a big reason why I didn't really get in to trail riding while I grew up in Portland. Trails aren't quite as accessible as they are in the Seattle area. I feel pretty blessed to have lived in such great riding cities the last 15 years though. Seattle and now Oahu...Oahu trails aren't quite the same as the NW, but they are a lot of fun and so close that you have tons to pick from. What it lacks in technical areas like Vancouver NS, it has super rocky DH sections like St Louis.

    It does sound like there are some fun trails to hit in the Portland area, I'll just have to travel further to get the fix.

    Thanks again everyone.

  19. #19
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,530

    Oahu sounds nice

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBidnezz
    Yeah, that's kind of what I'm gathering from all of the input. Thanks guys. I'm guessing this is a big reason why I didn't really get in to trail riding while I grew up in Portland. Trails aren't quite as accessible as they are in the Seattle area. I feel pretty blessed to have lived in such great riding cities the last 15 years though. Seattle and now Oahu...Oahu trails aren't quite the same as the NW, but they are a lot of fun and so close that you have tons to pick from. What it lacks in technical areas like Vancouver NS, it has super rocky DH sections like St Louis.

    It does sound like there are some fun trails to hit in the Portland area, I'll just have to travel further to get the fix.

    Thanks again everyone.
    Yaw, I'm reeling from working in the Gorge: riding so close. It was heavenly. Riding here is at least a half day deal with a lot of driving, In the summer you can buzz up to the West HIlls for a decent ride. In the winter the West Hills are so muddy I am not all that jacked to ride up there. If I want to ride tomorrow the best option is probably going to be the Sandy Ridge Trails. The technical riding here is lacking to say the least. The Tillamook area is the cat's meow of halfway close technical riding in the area but again the area is mostly a mud bowel now.

    Oahu? Are you freaking kidding? I dream of such a place. Love Hawaii!

  20. #20
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    And speaking of Syncline, Little Moab and portions of Hidden Valley offer some technical possibilities with rocky sections and drops.

    Post Canyon??
    Also, the Wizard, and Dirty Diaper (I rarely ride that side of Syncline unless I'm with a group, so I don't know most of the names) are pretty gnarly too, if my memory serves me.

    Post Canyon, however, is not very technical. Sure, there are some high speed root drops on Mitchell Ridge, and there are some moto trails that have had the tar beaten out of them, but that's about it. Nothing that makes you cringe, slam on the brakes, and hop off your bike to take a closer look before deciding what to do.

    If you're looking for high speed fun, an XC loop, or a bunch of fun jump lines, Post is it. If you're looking for technical or DH riding, head up the mountain or across the river from HR.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchback78
    Oh Houseman.... always has a positive tilt to add to the conversation.
    Just caillin it the way I see it.

    If you want true technical riding, head north into Washington to the Wright Meadow and Craggy Peak Trails near the Lewis River Trail. These will keep you on your toes, very rooty and rocky from motos.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

  22. #22
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,566
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Just caillin it the way I see it.

    If you want true technical riding, head north into Washington to the Wright Meadow and Craggy Peak Trails near the Lewis River Trail. These will keep you on your toes, very rooty and rocky from motos.
    Ah yes. The Boundary Trail No.1. Probably the best signle ride I've ever had.

    Just make sure you go West-->East. I don't think East-->West is even possible.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Yaw, I'm reeling from working in the Gorge: riding so close. It was heavenly. Riding here is at least a half day deal with a lot of driving, In the summer you can buzz up to the West HIlls for a decent ride. In the winter the West Hills are so muddy I am not all that jacked to ride up there. If I want to ride tomorrow the best option is probably going to be the Sandy Ridge Trails. The technical riding here is lacking to say the least. The Tillamook area is the cat's meow of halfway close technical riding in the area but again the area is mostly a mud bowel now.

    Oahu? Are you freaking kidding? I dream of such a place. Love Hawaii!
    I was there in December...it was nice.Kona is my preferred location in that state.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    116
    Re: the Boundary Trail - If you're talking about the full-meal deal, it can be ridden east to west from Council Lake to South Coldwater but you have to have all of the stars aligned to have a chance.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    112
    Im not sure of the distance from Portland, but blackrock has some pretty gnarly trails. They dont allow hikers on the trials, and keep the them very well maintained so they are super buttery, and they have a lot of North Shore inspired good size stunts. I would defiantly recommend taking a trip down there for a day or two.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •