mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Best riding near Portland that has a rental shop near by?

I'll be traveling to Seattle and I'm looking to do a side trip to Portland and combine with some riding.

1) Debating to bring my bike and the hassles of packing, etc.
    2) Possibly looking for trails near a shop with higher end rentals so I don't have to deal with transporting the bike.

Thoughts? Is Sandy Ridge near a bike shop with rentals? I'll have a rental car.

Trail recommendations would be fantastic!

Thanks!

Metalheadbikerider
    This place has rentals in Sandy, Oregon. They don't have a large supply, though. Mountain Bike Rentals | Ottos Ski Shop

Fat Tire Farm in Portland has Bronsons and other high end rentals. www. fattirefarm.com

Once you get to the Sandy Ridge Trail system you can't go wrong. For more rooty/rocky tech ride upper Hide and Seek to the midppoint. For more airtime head back up and hit Rock Drop/338, and then ride over to Two Turntables for some seriously ****-eating grinning fun. Then for a more advance, tech line that ends with some killer flow and air-time head back up and ride Follow the Leader into Flow Motion. You can do loops in the upper section as described, and then ride lower Hide and Seek back down to the lot to end the day.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by samduhspam View Post
    I'll be traveling to Seattle and I'm looking to do a side trip to Portland and combine with some riding.

1) Debating to bring my bike and the hassles of packing, etc.
    2) Possibly looking for trails near a shop with higher end rentals so I don't have to deal with transporting the bike.

Thoughts? Is Sandy Ridge near a bike shop with rentals? I'll have a rental car.

Trail recommendations would be fantastic!

Thanks!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    The Mountain Shop has started renting Salsa bikes. I believe they have the FS bikes and Fat bikes for rent. Prices are a little more reasonable than the Fat Tire Farm.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    In addition to the suggests of Follow the Leader and Flow Motion at Sandy Ridge I liked Communication Breakdown + Quid Pro Flow + 338 + Two Turntables then back up to the top. Most of Hide'N'Seek is a blast as well, worth going back up to the top for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks guys. Sounds like I should bring my own bike.

What other rides do you suggest other than Sandy Ridge near Portland? Looks like I could easily spend 2 days there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Post canyon for sure! Also hit up Tiger mountain and Duthie Hill near Seattle...

mtbr member
    If you have time you could venture north into Washington, like the Thrillium trails.

Cold Creek Mountain Bikers | The Cold Creek Chapter of Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance

Or head south to Black Rock near Falls City, OR.

Blackrock Mountain Bike Association