mtbr member

Best place to ride

So there will be a group of about 10-15 people possibly coming to Oregon next year to ride instead of Tahoe. So we are looking for a great place to stay and ride that can accomodate that many riders with levels of intermdiate to advanced. We will probably be there for 4-5 days in early September. We love a mix of XC, AM and freeride style trails. Right now we have maybe Bend or Ashland in mind.

Would welcome any suggestions as we are not that familiar with the state for riding. Thanks

Nat
    Solo contendre
    What time of year?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If riding from Ashland, lodging shouldn't be much of an issue.. There are many motels in town to accommodate all the tourism from Ashland's Shakespeare festival, and if they have lots of vacancies it shouldn't be too hard to haggle a bit on price. Its starting to get nasty towards the top on Mt. Ashland this time of year, so you'd probably be riding from four corners. Its about a 30 minute drive from Ashland to the drop point, and a good 15-20 min ride back to Ashland, popping out at various parts along the town depending on which trails you choose. It's definitely nice to have multiple cars and shuttle these runs a few times if you can. Otherwise Ashland Mountain Adventures (Ashland Mountain Adventures) offeres shuttle service for a moderate fee.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Early September as mentioned nat...

Never been to Ashland but been to Bend a ton of times and the riding there fits the bill. Plus, you can get the high country trails in that time of year. (The lower ones near town may/may not be dusty then.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    What time of year?
    Early to mid september

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Early September as mentioned nat...
    D'oh!!! Too funny.

Afric Pepperbird
    Not sure, but Bend may be booked then.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    So there will be a group of about 10-15 people possibly coming to Oregon next year to ride instead of Tahoe. So we are looking for a great place to stay and ride that can accomodate that many riders with levels of intermdiate to advanced. We will probably be there for 4-5 days in early September. We love a mix of XC, AM and freeride style trails. Right now we have maybe Bend or Ashland in mind.

Would welcome any suggestions as we are not that familiar with the state for riding. Thanks
    Oakridge
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I'd have to say ditto on Bend in September, I'll be there myself about that time.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

ride the moment
    If the purpose of your trip is to ride the sickest trails around, you should go to Oakridge. There's a shuttle company to help with the longer trails, and definitely rental houses, camping, and motels in the area. However there are limited options as far as food, bars, etc. The food an bars that are there are good, there's just not many,
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Oakridge is pretty good but Ashland and Bend are the cat's meow! Bend is super cool!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Based on your description, I'd definitely say Bend.

On the other hand, if you want lots of technical, no-flow trials stacked with super-tight switchbacks -- pitch your tent in Oakridge and you will be in heaven.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    With 4 to 5 days of riding, plenty of time to ride both Bend and Oakridge!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by applecakes View Post
    If riding from Ashland, lodging shouldn't be much of an issue.. There are many motels in town to accommodate all the tourism from Ashland's Shakespeare festival, and if they have lots of vacancies it shouldn't be too hard to haggle a bit on price. Its starting to get nasty towards the top on Mt. Ashland this time of year, so you'd probably be riding from four corners. Its about a 30 minute drive from Ashland to the drop point, and a good 15-20 min ride back to Ashland, popping out at various parts along the town depending on which trails you choose. It's definitely nice to have multiple cars and shuttle these runs a few times if you can. Otherwise Ashland Mountain Adventures (Ashland Mountain Adventures) offeres shuttle service for a moderate fee.
    I 2nd Ashland using (Ashland Mountain Adventures). just spent the weekend with Bill and Sue. 75 degrees in town and at the top of Mount A, perfect tacky dirt, shorts and t-shirt weather, 2.5 days me and a buddy did 6 shuttles, 105ish miles, 30,000 descending, 6,000 ascending, we went down a different way each time hitting Time Warp 3 times, met some really cool people, and generally had an epic weekend.... there is medium to advanced stuff to hit etc/session etc... highly highly recommend. I am a medium to advanced rider and I rode with an Advnaced rider and we both rode the same trails and equally had an epic time. Very cool town... I'm just sayin.....

Q

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the Props Quicklaps! Good having you guys here and glad you had a blast. We look forward to your next Epic Trip!

Daddy Dragon
    I second the Bend and Oakridge idea.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions. If you have the names of any trails you like in the different places that would be awesome, that way I could try to youtube them and check them out. Also we usually like to ride approx 15 miles plus. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    Based on your description, I'd definitely say Bend.

On the other hand, if you want lots of technical, no-flow trials stacked with super-tight switchbacks -- pitch your tent in Oakridge and you will be in heaven.
    "No flow "=pedaling.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Daddy Dragon

Bachelor To Bend.

The Bachelor to Bend ride is pretty fun. It starts at Dutchman Sno Park and climbs over Tumalo Mountain but after the fairly short climb it's mostly down hill and some rolling stuff down to Bend. You can make a 30 plus mile ride out of it but there are also some shorter options. Buy a map at a LBS and ask for recommendations. You can find some good descriptions if you google Bachelor to Bend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    In Ashland I like Time warp -> Martys (or catwalk) -> BTI

If you drop from the Mt. Ashland lodge there are tons of unnamed illegal trails that give you a much longer ride. I think there are 5 solid sections before you hit four corners, which is the drop point for Marty's or catwalk. You could ride all week in Ashland and hit different trails each time.

Also, Wagner Creek has some fun rides,about 15min outside of Ashland.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ripdogg1 View Post
    The Bachelor to Bend ride is pretty fun. It starts at Dutchman Sno Park and climbs over Tumalo Mountain but after the fairly short climb it's mostly down hill and some rolling stuff down to Bend. You can make a 30 plus mile ride out of it but there are also some shorter options. Buy a map at a LBS and ask for recommendations. You can find some good descriptions if you google Bachelor to Bend.
    +1

Bachelor to bend is a great ride. I started at Todd Lake when I did it though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Spring Thaw, Marty's, BTI Video - Pinkbike.com
    Race clips are right after the four corners drop in, before the martys/catwalk split. a few shots of BTI and lower marty's, and all those doubles are mid way through marty's

Ashland Ride Video - Pinkbike.com
    this is an unedited run from four corners -> martys -> bti.. They skip caterpillar (take the access road instead) because there is a bit of uphill at the beginning. Its a fun little section though, and probably worth the short climb