mtbr member

Best PDX Bike Shop to Overhaul a Shock?

Any recommendations on a good shop in Portland to overhaul a manitou fork? I live in vancouver and am not too impressed with any of the bike shops I've been to on this side of the river. And most of the shops I've been to in PDX cater to roadies/commuters it seems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    not sure how much work you need done, but fat tire farm is the shop I always take my bike to.

mtbr member
    My wife's bike was hung up from the front wheel all winter and I noticed the fork is leaking oil. Not sure exactly what needs to be done - probably clean and replace the seals.

Always Breaking Stuff
    I love the shop, and what they do for the bike community in here in Portland, but I can't recommend FTF's service dept, unless you don't need the bike for a month or so.

Pete at the Hollywood Bike Gallery is pretty good, so is Paul at the Mall 205 Performance Bike.

If you are coming from Vancouver, the Mall 205 Performance is probably going to be your best bet.

Good luck.

-Jon

Metalheadbikerider

It's a little further, but.....

as far as LBS go, Sellwood Cycles is the best. Great guys, and they will bend over backwards once you get to know them. Just don't bring your stuff in dirty. And they are very reasonable with quick turnaround.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about performance but didn't know how good their shop would be. I hate their online customer service, but they guys in the shop seem pretty passionate about biking and have shared a lot of info about local trails and such. I'll probably take it in there.

Always Breaking Stuff
    Sellwood is a great LBS, they do cater to roadies/commuters a bit, but that isn't necessarily a horrible thing. It doesn't surprise me that you go there though FA. However, Sellwood is WAY across town for SLC.

I have had VERY good experiences with Paul at Performance. One time they had the opportunity to take me for about $150 in un-necessary repairs (overhaul my fork), but they didn't, they just cleaned the seals (possibly all you need too SLC) and gave me the bike back free. After that they totally have my future business. Trust goes a LONG way in my book.

For what it's worth, if you really need a shock expert, I heard Butch with one of the Bike Galleries (not sure which one) is the MAN, but that is just from word of mouth. Any of these shops will do a good job swapping out some seals. It is a good idea to get to know a mechanic somewhere though, repeat business always helps ya out. I go to Paul at the 205 Performance for anything I don't do myself now.

-Jon
    Last edited by thorir; 04-28-2006 at 02:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    a month? I get work there done all the time, they built me an entire bike in less than two days...I guess it depends when you stop in though.

Always Breaking Stuff
    Oh yeah, they will HOOK YA UP on a new bike. No doubt about that, it is where I bought mine too. Trying to get warranty work done last summer took my bike out of prime riding season for a month though, even with 10 follow up calls and giving them the exact part numbers they needed to order. That is unacceptable in my book. I was just lucky I had a sled I could borrow from a friend.

-Jon

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I didnt buy the bike from them, it was a custom frame build job with new/old components. But everyone has different experiences!

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg
    Any recommendations on a good shop in Portland to overhaul a manitou fork? I live in vancouver and am not too impressed with any of the bike shops I've been to on this side of the river. And most of the shops I've been to in PDX cater to roadies/commuters it seems.
    Slightly relevant, slightly OT, my Manitou Black needed some work done. I went and broke something, which is rare for me. I had it in the shop forever, because Manitou did not have the internals required to complete the job. I went to visit my bike on occasion to scab parts off it for my SS (wheels and tires).

Anyways, getting seals should not be a problem.

My LBS cut the cost of the job due to time issues.

Rambling way too much sorry. Need another barley pop.
    Tuff Schist