Too Much Fun

New question here. Best green kid-friendly MTB rides in Bend

Hey Bendians!

Taking the fam to your fair city in a few weeks. I'm vaguely familiar with the trails, but if you had to pick 3-5 nice flat-ish beginner trails to take the kids (6 & 11) and wife on, what would they be?

I've done a few searches and founds a bit but figured I'd ask.

They are all just now getting comfortable on their bikes, so more wide open trails are better as they are still skittish on tighter singletrack.

1000 thanks in advance!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    thanks for posting this, I am also heading to Bend in August and my kids are 9 & 12 and have yet to embrace climbing.......will be paying attention tot his thread......

Nat
    Solo contendre
    1. Deschutes River Trail from the Dillon Falls TH south towards Sunriver and back. It's very pretty, mostly flat but interesting, and with minimum technicality. It starts to climb a little bit near Benham Falls but you can turn back if it gets too much.

2. Loop around Shevlin Park, or right up the middle along the creek. Weekends will have more foot traffic. It's nice and cool along the creek on a hot day, with places where the kids may want to stop and chuck rocks into the water or maybe even hop in.

I'll add more as I think of it...

Nat
    Solo contendre
    3. The loop around Suttle Lake outside of Sisters is mellow, and ends in ice cream. I think it's like 2 miles total? Adjacent Scout Lake is a very popular swimming hole too.

Too Much Fun
    Great stuff, thanks Nat! We'll be there three days total and will likely ride at least 2 of the three days, so this is a great start.

We've only stayed in Sunriver in the winter, so very excited to explore Bend proper this time.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you are considering Sisters area as well, the shorter loops in the Peterson Ridge trail network are very kid friendly. PRT-East seems to start climbing a bit sooner than the stuff over towards PRT-West. I don't recall the names of the shorter loops in that system, but they have decent maps available at the trailhead.

I have seen lots of kids on those trails on down to kids on strider bikes. It's still primarily singletrack, but not intimidating. There are plenty of doubletrack options in that area as well, though I don't know how well those are mapped out.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Anything emanating from the Phil's trailhead isn't bad. At least for a short out and back. (Except the now one way trails....) Even the Marvin's section from the big field up to the road crossing could be done by the 11 year old. Loop right on the road to KGB to Express and back on Phil's....

just like a speeder-bike
    A family favorite for us is this: Phil's main trailhead, heading out Kent's; after the short, we-forgive-you-if-you-walk climb up to intersection 14, head left to what I think is Intersection 7 (the Chicken); back home on Phil's Trail. That's under an hour... and lotsa fun. (Some narrower parts, but I think you'll like it.)

mtbr member
    My list in no particular order: Marvins to the Lair and back (don't forget to let them play on the pump track first and mess around at the lair); DRT from Sunriver to as far as you want to go and back(get past the falls and find a good wading spot then head back); Shevlin loops (many picnic and wading opps): Kens to KGB to flaming chicken and then Phil's back (a couple hills you may need to help the youngest on). We found that in the beginning it was all about giving them a destination and making it fun.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I really like the connector between Kent's and Phil's (named Expressway) but it might be a bit much for skittish beginners who are just getting comfortable on their bikes. I don't think I'd pick it at this point. Out and back on Kent's turning around at the start of the "Elevator Shaft" climb might work though.