Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Best dog riding trails in Oregon?

I like to take my Golden Retriever, Abby, out with me riding. I like to ride in places that don't have a lot of people. I'm also careful with Abby to not take her into areas that have a high concentration of predators. For example, I have seen many bear and a cougar on Trail 400 in the Gorge. I tend to take her to Post Canyon during the week and ride Mitchel Ridge; it is a good length and there is water mid ride. It is too wet in the winter though. A lake would be awesome. Any ideal places you take your dog?

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Grouse Point is a good ride that doesn't see a lot of traffic. It has a couple stream crossings along the 9 mile climb up but I'm sure, seeing some kind of predator is possible as is anywhere.

And I have never seen a cougar anywhere but plenty of bears. Where have you seen the kitties?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Not often

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Grouse Point is a good ride that doesn't see a lot of traffic. It has a couple stream crossings along the 9 mile climb up but I'm sure, seeing some kind of predator is possible as is anywhere.

And I have never seen a cougar anywhere but plenty of bears. Where have you seen the kitties?
    I have been in the woods a lot in my life and have only seen one cougar. They are there but they are hidden and night time hunters. I saw the beautiful cat up on Wauna Point in the Gorge. We had a cougar come into an outer neighborhood in White Salmon, Washington and eat someone's Toy Poodle recently. A sad story where the lady heard her dog crying to come around the side of the house and there was a cougar having lunch on her dog Too bad. But, I think it easy to forget the 'kill or be killed world" most animals exist in around the world. I watched a show about some desert lions killing small donkeys for food. It was brutal!

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I have been in the woods a lot in my life and have only seen one cougar. They are there but they are hidden and night time hunters. I saw the beautiful cat up on Wauna Point in the Gorge. We had a cougar come into an outer neighborhood in White Salmon, Washington and eat someone's Toy Poodle recently. A sad story where the lady heard her dog crying to come around the side of the house and there was a cougar having lunch on her dog Too bad. But, I think it easy to forget the 'kill or be killed world" most animals exist in around the world. I watched a show about some desert lions killing small donkeys for food. It was brutal!

Jaybo
    Jay, in case you didn't remember, Grouse Point/Dry Ridge trail was the trail I took you on a couple of falls ago above Estacada off the Clackamas River out of Roaring River CG in the southern Mt. Hood NF. It was a scenic, backcountry trail with not a lot of people and would be good for dogs, due to the nice, relentless slow climb, with exception of the shaled rock sections. But if I can recall you weren't a big fan of the trail due to some hike a bike sections and steep switchbacks. The trail is basically more off a hiking trail than biking, but pretty country nonetheless and good dog trail recommendation. Depending on what kind of shape your dog is in, Powell Butte and Mt. Tabor of course would be good due to close proximity, and being dog friendly terrain. Oh, Scappoose would be good too, minus the coyotes at night.

JG
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Jay, in case you didn't remember, Grouse Point/Dry Ridge trail was the trail I took you on a couple of falls ago above Estacada off the Clackamas River out of Roaring River CG in the southern Mt. Hood NF. It was a scenic, backcountry trail with not a lot of people and would be good for dogs, due to the nice, relentless slow climb, with exception of the shaled rock sections. But if I can recall you weren't a big fan of the trail due to some hike a bike sections and steep switchbacks. The trail is basically more off a hiking trail than biking, but pretty country nonetheless and good dog trail recommendation. Depending on what kind of shape your dog is in, Powell Butte and Mt. Tabor of course would be good due to close proximity, and being dog friendly terrain. Oh, Scappoose would be good too, minus the coyotes at night.

JG
    Oh, yaw, that was the monster steep and rocky ride that I pushed up. I'm not a fan of that ride; however, I'm curious about what is above where we stopped. Might want to try it again this summer. Maybe there is some flowly singletrack above that.

Jaybo