Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    52

    Best current trails for Bend?

    I'm wondering what are some of the best "must do" trails in Bend with the current conditions. I keep seeing that late summer/fall is when all the trails are good. (I did a search but didn't find much on what the best currently available trails are)

    It's my first time to Bend and probably my last for awhile (I'm moving to Salt Lake City... boohoo right?).

    I'll be there this coming Monday (5/13) and Wednesday. Tuesday, my brother and I plan on taking a shuttle for the Mckenzie River Trail. Just looking for some general trail riding, no freeride/etc.

    Here's our current agenda. If anyone would like to meet up, you would be more than welcome.

    Monday: 3PMish get into town and ride before dark.
    Tuesday: McKenzie River Trail
    Wednesday: Morning ride, head home around 3PM.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    73
    What kind of mileage you guys looking for? A good ride is up Ben's, take a lap on Whoops, back up and descend Heli Pad then down Phil's canyon. Or, Start at Phil's trail head, take Marvins to COD, up COD to Storm king and over to Whoops, then down either Ben's or again, descend Phil's canyon. Then on Wednesday check out the Funner/tiddlywinks side of the road. Park at Entrada Lodge, hook into COD and up to Storm King. cross the Cascade Lakes Hwy and up Tiddley Winks and down Funner then over to the river trail and back to Entrada. It's all riding good right now, starting to get a bit dusty already but aside from some blow down on T-winks it should all be good.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    290
    what he said!!!! thats a great loop of phils complex..

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by RTurner View Post
    What kind of mileage you guys looking for? A good ride is up Ben's, take a lap on Whoops, back up and descend Heli Pad then down Phil's canyon. Or, Start at Phil's trail head, take Marvins to COD, up COD to Storm king and over to Whoops, then down either Ben's or again, descend Phil's canyon. Then on Wednesday check out the Funner/tiddlywinks side of the road. Park at Entrada Lodge, hook into COD and up to Storm King. cross the Cascade Lakes Hwy and up Tiddley Winks and down Funner then over to the river trail and back to Entrada. It's all riding good right now, starting to get a bit dusty already but aside from some blow down on T-winks it should all be good.
    Not too sure how many mile we wanna do since I don't know how much climbing is involved. We are looking for stuff around the 2-3 hour range. Your suggestions seem good. How long would that take to ride? I definitely wanna ride Phil's from everyone I've talked to so far.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jjMarS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    111
    A line from Phil's T.H. traveling Marvin's Gardens to COD, and then connecting to Storm King to it highest elev. (i.e. near Heli Pad) and then down Whoops and Ben's back to Phil's T.H. will include approx. <3000 vertical and ~24 miles or so. My wife and I did it last year in under 3hrs. but we stopped for a couple of snack breaks. Hope this helps....
    jjMarS

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    73
    None of the routs listed have any steep climbing, the character around here is gradual and other than a few rock bands, not rocky either. Depending on your conditioning and average speed the Bens/Whoops/back up then Phil's will fit in the 2-3 hour range. The Entrada/COD/Storm King/T-Winks-Funner/River Trail may take a little longer unless you are strong and hustle a bit. Hate to suggest not doing T-Winks and Funner but if you get to the point on that ride where you are running short on time then you can just continue on to the River Trail and back. That would still be a great ride, and leave T-Winks and Funner for another trip. You may also contact COG WILD and see if they are running a shuttle to the Wanoga parking lot on the morning of your last day, if so then just have them drop you there and do either T-Winks, or Funner and back to town by the River Trail and you should easily be able to do that in a couple of hours.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by RTurner View Post
    None of the routs listed have any steep climbing, the character around here is gradual and other than a few rock bands, not rocky either. Depending on your conditioning and average speed the Bens/Whoops/back up then Phil's will fit in the 2-3 hour range. The Entrada/COD/Storm King/T-Winks-Funner/River Trail may take a little longer unless you are strong and hustle a bit. Hate to suggest not doing T-Winks and Funner but if you get to the point on that ride where you are running short on time then you can just continue on to the River Trail and back. That would still be a great ride, and leave T-Winks and Funner for another trip. You may also contact COG WILD and see if they are running a shuttle to the Wanoga parking lot on the morning of your last day, if so then just have them drop you there and do either T-Winks, or Funner and back to town by the River Trail and you should easily be able to do that in a couple of hours.
    That sounds awesome so far. I used to live in Utah so technical is no problem... I'm definitely excited about how flowy the trails are from what I've been told.

    2-3 hours is good for Monday. We could probably do more of an "epic" 3-4 hour ride.

  8. #8
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,494
    Quote Originally Posted by truongasaurus View Post
    That sounds awesome so far. I used to live in Utah so technical is no problem...
    Utah technical (especially southern) is a whole lot different than Bend technical. It's fairly tame here.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Utah technical (especially southern) is a whole lot different than Bend technical. It's fairly tame here.
    Ah ok. It's all good. Wasn't expecting anything too crazy. Kinda looking forward to just some fun riding

  10. #10
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,515
    Bend is already super dusty.

  11. #11
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,651
    Quote Originally Posted by truongasaurus View Post
    I definitely wanna ride Phil's from everyone I've talked to so far.
    I don't know if you (they) were referring to Phil's Trail or Phil's trail network. Phil's Trail proper is just one of many routes on the network and it's not the most fun (IMO) even though the whole place is named for it.

    One of my favorite routes in the network for fast and flowy is Ben's Trail descent. You could climb up either Phil's Trail or Kent's Trail to Rd. 300, climb up then descend Whoops, then descend on Ben's. That loop makes for about a 2 - 2.5 hour ride depending on your pace. It might be good for Monday's evening ride.

    For Wednesday I think working Funner or Tiddlywinks into your day would be a good idea. Perhaps climb Phil's to Paul's (aka Upper Phil's) to the helipad, descend down Upper Storm King, cross Century Drive, climb up Funner, then descend either on Funner or Tiddlywinks, descend Lower Storm King to Conklin Rd., take Conklin Rd. then cross Century Drive again, take C.O.D. and Marvin's back to the trailhead. This route would be more in the 3-5 hour range, again depending on your pace. There are several bail out options in case you want to shorten the ride any.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    52
    Oh I see. I'm thinking they were referring to to the whole network.
    Those routes seem pretty solid - i will have to look those up later.

    Thanks a lot. Everyone's been really helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Current status of Carvins Cove trails?
    By twangcat in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 04:45 PM
  2. Current Bend trail conditions
    By jaewannabe in forum Oregon
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 09:07 AM
  3. What is the current status of Galbraith trails?
    By gticlay in forum Washington
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-12-2012, 02:08 PM
  4. Bend trails this weekend?
    By JeffSP in forum Oregon
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-03-2011, 09:23 AM
  5. Favorite trails (Bend)
    By redbadger5 in forum Oregon
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 01:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •