mtbr member

Best Bend area trail map?

Any suggestions for what the best Map is for planning a week of riding in Bend? I saw that BendTrails.org does maps, but it looks like multiple maps would need to be purchased to cover the entire area. National geographic makes a solid product but I'm not sure how applicable it is to mountain biking. Any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Try adventuremaps.net they are available at most LBS in Central Oregon

mtbr member
    For printed maps, use Adventure Maps. The benefit is you can use it even if your phone is dead.

For offline with no network access, use Trailforks. The benefit is it'll show your position on the map if your phone is capable of finding your location (GPS).

For current conditions, use BendTrails. The benefit is you get comments from an active community of builders and riders.

Also watch for weather, smoke, fire closures, on InciWeb, USFS, Oregon Smoke blog...

Nat
    mtbr member
    I think you'd only need the one Adventuremap for the areas immediately surrounding Bend. The last time I looked at one it was pretty comprehensive.

There's a second map for outlying areas such as the Ochocos I believe, but if you're planning on riding mainly around Bend you won't need it.

And thanks for using your turn signal when exiting roundabouts. Enjoy your visit!

mtbr member
    Sounds like the Adventuremap is the way to go. I haven't heard of them but it does look like they produce a cool product and exactly what I'm looking for. I agree that one of their maps should cover most of what we want to do.

Let me ask this though...if we are doing a week there...probably 5-6 days of good riding. Should we plan on venturing away from Bend to somewhere like Mckenzie River? I hear good things but it looks like a little bit of a haul which would involve a multi vehicle logistical plan.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I think the McKenzie River Trail (MRT) is over-rated, but I've had the opportunity to ride it before. The lush rainforest is the main draw but the riding itself is mehhh. If your crew won't get the opportunity to return to the area in a long time then it might be worth doing just to say you've seen it. Expect heavy hiking traffic on weekends.

What level of riding ability is your group, what's your terrain preference (xc, am, dh, etc) and what time of year would you be visiting?

mtbr member
    Ok, so maybe Mckenzie River will be a late week addition depending on how much of the other terrain we are covering.

The group is advanced-expert level. Our style of riding is XC/All mountain leaning towards slightly more downhill (occasional shuttle) depending on the fitness level guys show up with and/or how many IPA's we drink the night prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nat
    mtbr member
    Cool. I think you'd enjoy the trails in the Wanoga complex more than those at Phil's. Maybe two days there plus one Bachelor to Bend ride on Metolius/Windigo to Happy Valley, then return to Bend via any number of trail combinations. There was another very recent thread where we covered a bunch of the options.

If you're up for a little driving (90 minutes each way) check out Round Mountain - Lookout Mountain in the Ochocos east of Prineville. This one has some long, steep climbing to big views followed by a ripping 10 mile descent.

If you're up for driving to the MRT go just a couple miles further and shuttle the Olallie/O'Leary/Castle Rock/King Castle trails. It's an IMBA epic. It'll show you the rainforest type foliage like the MRT but the trail is more advanced and fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoy View Post
    Any suggestions for what the best Map is for planning a week of riding in Bend? I saw that BendTrails.org does maps, but it looks like multiple maps would need to be purchased to cover the entire area. National geographic makes a solid product but I'm not sure how applicable it is to mountain biking. Any other suggestions?
    The printed maps for sale on Bendtrails.org are adventure maps, and yeah you need several to round out all of Central Oregon. They sell one for bend, redmond/sisters, oakridge and 3 sisters wilderness.

The digital version is really good and can be purchased via avenza maps app - and is useful on your phone to geo-locate yourself on the map even when you don't have service. It's more comprehensive than trailforks in Bend. Bendtrails is more comprehensive still (around bend).

Bendtrails.org allows geo-location on a phone's browser - but you are limited by needing service.