42t
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Bendites: Edison, Lava?

Hey there - I'm guessing it's too soon to ride from Edison to Lava, or from Lava on 99 to Sparks or Bachelor?

Afric Pepperbird
    Edison/Lava is around 5800 feet in elevation. That elevation has been snow-free for quite some time. But I've not ridden there yet this year, so I have no first-hand knowledge.

Deadfall may be an issue.

it means 'no problem'
    It's not cleared of logs yet. You probably don't even want to attempt it because the number of dead and dying trees in there is substantial. A typical year we cut about 50 trees off just the Lava side.

That said, if you do go, please report back so we know how much chainsaw fuel to bring...
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

No pain no gain
    Nov 2006

Good job! Sparks / Lava and Edison / Lava trail ; Bend, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie
    It's not cleared of logs yet. You probably don't even want to attempt it because the number of dead and dying trees in there is substantial. A typical year we cut about 50 trees off just the Lava side.

That said, if you do go, please report back so we know how much chainsaw fuel to bring...
    Is Edison/Lava clear yet? It's a late start this year at elevation, and I am all too familiar with dead fall on this trail early in the year.

How about Sparks/Lava... is this ride-able yet? Who is responsible for clearing these trails, or is it a volunteer thing?

Happy trails...

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by gregoryb02
    Is Edison/Lava clear yet? It's a late start this year at elevation, and I am all too familiar with dead fall on this trail early in the year.

How about Sparks/Lava... is this ride-able yet? Who is responsible for clearing these trails, or is it a volunteer thing?

Happy trails...
    You mean in the last four days? I'd guess it's not clear yet.

No pain no gain
    Nov 2006

edison / sparks trail

Is the NFS responsible for clearing these trails? I am looking into which organization I can check in with to check the status of these trails in the future. Thanks.

Afric Pepperbird
    COTA clears them. Check their worklog, found here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

North Fork

Anyone know if north fork is snow free to happy valley?

No pain no gain
    Nov 2006
    I climbed up Marazak this weekend, and met two guys who at the top of Farewell - who I believe climbed North Fork to get around to the top of Farewell (an obvious assumption), although I never asked them. At the bottom of Farewell they were loading there bikes back into a truck, so I assume they started from Tumalo Falls.

No pain no gain
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer
    COTA clears them. Check their worklog, found here.

Thanks Dirt Farmer!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yes, North Fork is clear.

Afric Pepperbird
    42t or gregory, have either of you hit Lava/Edison yet? As soucie says, there will probably be lots of trees; but if it's somewhat manageable (less than 15. Wishful thinking?) I want to head up there next wednesday.

Thanks

it means 'no problem'
    Wishful thinking indeed. DF - you're a "glass half full" kind of person aren't you?

In the years I've helped clear the Lava-Ed trail I have NEVER seen fewer than 40 trees on the Lava side and at least half that many on the Edison side. Some spots are just a "turn-around" kind of thing.

I'll put a note here after we geterdone, mm-kay? (hopefully soon, but it's out of my hands when we go - depends on the adopter's schedule and he's very busy...)
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Afric Pepperbird
    Thanks for the heads up, soucie!

I have another post floating out there about Charlton/Lemish conditions. Are you in the know about this one? If it's hot next week, I will be dying to take a swim in Charlton Lake.

it means 'no problem'
    To the best of my knowledge Charlton / Lemish is not cleared yet.

No pain no gain
    Nov 2006
    Dirt Farmer -

Edison/Lava is a go... I just did a quick ride Thursday 7/15 and had no problems. Numerous trees had been cleared, and I only had to get off my bike three times or so for logs/trees which could not be ridden over (love my Mojo w/2 ring set up and bash guard!). Due to time constraints, I only hit the Edison side up to the spur cut off (BTW... there is a massive fallen tree right before the spur which completely blocks any existence of a trail). The trail was the typical loose, rocky, more sand than I have seen in several years (but not bad), and lots of pine cones. It has not been ridden much... but this is what I like about this trail!

I am going to try to do Edison / Lava all the way to Sparks Lake trail head and back on Sunday (44 miles +/-)... does anyone have any word on the Sparks / Lava trail conditions?

Thanks for clearing Soucie!

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by gregoryb02
    Dirt Farmer -

Edison/Lava is a go... I just did a quick ride Thursday 7/15 and had no problems. Numerous trees had been cleared, and I only had to get off my bike three times or so for logs/trees which could not be ridden over (love my Mojo w/2 ring set up and bash guard!). Due to time constraints, I only hit the Edison side up to the spur cut off (BTW... there is a massive fallen tree right before the spur which completely blocks any existence of a trail). The trail was the typical loose, rocky, more sand than I have seen in several years (but not bad), and lots of pine cones. It has not been ridden much... but this is what I like about this trail!

I am going to try to do Edison / Lava all the way to Sparks Lake trail head and back on Sunday (44 miles +/-)... does anyone have any word on the Sparks / Lava trail conditions?

Thanks for clearing Soucie!

Don't thank me yet!

Since quadders use the upper section of Edison to the Spur (i think you mean to the summit of Kwohl Butte) they typically clear it earlier. The Lava side is non-moto so doesn't get cleared except by us...

Love to hear what you find anyway. Sounds like there's a nice big project at the top there, thanks for the info!

Sorry I have no beta on the Sparks-Lava bit but I can tell you from experience that equestrians typically clear the segment from the Quinn Meadow cut off to just below Todd Pit. From Quinn down to Lava Lake can be spotty but the Lake section itself also gets cleared early by the people at Lava Lake Resort... Hopefully that's what you'll find...

Happy Trails!