can't get here by wishin

bend this weekend?

what's up over there dry siders?... is phil's do-able yet?

can't get here by wishin

or the lair?

if not phil's what about the lair?

Making fat cool since '71
    BlackRock is open...just sayin. I'll drive.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

it means 'no problem'
    Dude, It's a mud-fest over here. The "thawing" has melted out the layer of frost deeper down, and the snow from up higher is melting downhill also. I say this while probably 30 cars are parked at Phil's right now - don't get me started. Thanks for asking, though.

Smith Rock, Horse Ridge, Maston, Cline, Horse Butte are all going off and getting drier every day. Hell, even McKenzie is open...
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

it means 'no problem'
    Oh Yeah, Nasty says the Lair is good, but very soft & muddy on the top in the trees.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Gittyup!
    Seriously - I live on the main drag to the trailhead and there has been a constant stream of mnt bikes heading west (both pedaling and atop rigs), assumingly to the trailhead. The trails must just be getting thrashed.

Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie
    Dude, It's a mud-fest over here. The "thawing" has melted out the layer of frost deeper down, and the snow from up higher is melting downhill also. I say this while probably 30 cars are parked at Phil's right now - don't get me started. Thanks for asking, though.

Smith Rock, Horse Ridge, Maston, Cline, Horse Butte are all going off and getting drier every day. Hell, even McKenzie is open...

it means 'no problem'
    COTA is planning a "heavy guilt membership campaign" very soon!

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by SLinBend
    Seriously - I live on the main drag to the trailhead and there has been a constant stream of mnt bikes heading west (both pedaling and atop rigs), assumingly to the trailhead.
    Questions:

What do they know that you don't, that they can actually have some fun? That the many of the trails are okay? Do you think the COTA guilt membership will make a diff? Do you think the DNF and COTA will threaten sanctions or to close the trails? Do you think the trails are really going to be much different this Spring and Summer than they have been any other year? How do you know the trails are a mudfest? Have you been riding them or interviewing those returning from thrashing them? Isn't a little wet damage part of what trail maintenance is about (that's our philosophy here on the wet side)?

Seriously, you have a great place to ride and more people will likely show up this year than last. Guess them's the breaks. Sorry I don't get the over protective thing. Maybe I'm missing something.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Questions:

Seriously, you have a great place to ride and more people will likely show up this year than last. Guess them's the breaks. Sorry I don't get the over protective thing. Maybe I'm missing something.
    You have to have lived there and put alot of time and effort into the trails to understand. A little bit of patience and resignation on behalf of riders now, can mean excellent trails all summer. But it only takes a few people to totally rut out and widen one wet,low spot now which will be irreparable when it dries out.

Why do you think in some parts of Central Oregon they've found 20,000 year old footprints with enough detail to determine the footwear the person had? Because they walked in wet soil, it dried, turned to concrete, just like the dirt in Bend. A couple of deep, wet tire tracks now will be there all summer, because you can't work the dirt there when it's dry.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Keep Singletrack Single
    I am one of the stewards for Phil's Trail for COTA. I can tell you that it is dry to the Chicken and about .5 mile beyond. Phil's Canyon is not dry and still has snow. I rode up there yesterday to inspect the trail. There are certainly ruts. I will be organizing a "WORK Party" to go up there to repair the trail and prepare it for full use. We have some warmer weather coming up soon. Be on the lookout for a trailwork announcement from COTA for Phil's for early April.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

FKA Malibu412

I appreciate COTA and all who help...

... build and maintain trails around Bend. I love every chance I get to head to the dry side and play. One of my favorite areas, if not the one.

Thanks to those who responded to present a better understanding of what wet conditions mean around the C.O. area. I certainly want to come back often, would like to be welcomed back as this is someone else's house, so to speak, and don't want to be part of contributing to permanent damage. I work on the trails I ride here on the west side and the soil make up and philosophy on wet riding certainly are different. For one thing, we rarely get a deeper layer of frost or have icy snow patches below the 4000' level. I'll definitely pay attention to time of year, snow melt and general trail conditions around Bend more. I now understand better why many recommend the trails to the east a little.

I also know that when I rode COD, Phil's, Kent's, and a couple connecting trails 2 weekends ago, that I was quite judicious in line selection when approaching and riding through the wetter areas. Same for the Deschutes trail, which we rode to just downstream of Dillon Falls. As a whole, Deschutes was drier than the Phil's area. It seemed the impact our bikes were making was minimal (or at least what I estimate as minimal), we slowed, and left tracks in the top 1/2" to 1" of soil on the treads. I had very little mud splatter on me or the bike. Perhaps there are many who might not try to be so careful.

Again, to all who make Bend an amazing place to ride. See you on the trails this Summer.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Yo, Check it! The lair is rippin' right now, no mud to speak of due to our fantastic weather; the expert line is ridable, but in need of some shaping and buffing; the lower jumps are allready a tad dusty. The Slalom Play Loop and the Railroad DJ's are riding real nice right now too. My ride up COD was great, got up to ODP and got distracted by raking the trail and hitting up the features; could have gone higher. this seems like the only non mud boggy spot in the complex.
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

can't get here by wishin

nice!

hmmm... that sounds like it might be worth the trip since that's all the stuff i wanted to ride that you just listed!

newfydog
    May 2009
    Anyone ridden the river trail to the end? I'm thinkin' about going to Sunriver for lunch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    How about now? We've got a friend about to have a baby and would love to get some face time in along with some riding as well. Thanx.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Phil's is most likely muddy right now due to the heavy snow and rain we received this last week. As of yesterday afternoon the lair was covered in snow, and has been closed off until further notice. We have been working on the drainage there so when the snow does melt hopefully it will dry out faster. I will put a post up here on mtbr when the lair is reopened and ready for some shredding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    so even if it dries out, it will just be the lower stuff? I don't want to mess up any trails.

Thanx

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    so even if it dries out, it will just be the lower stuff? I don't want to mess up any trails.

Thanx
    It was starting to snow again this evening. The upper stuff won't be ready for months.

Do you have skis or a board? The snow if freaking awesome right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Unfortunately, we're looking to get away from the snow. We shut down Jackson yesterday and Targhee this weekend, then we are hoping to escape the snowy climate for some pedaling to warm up the bones.

Thanx

it means 'no problem'
    Go East to the desert. Horse Butte, Horse Ridge or Maston / Cline. Those are the only areas right now that are dry enough to ride without causing undue damage.

It's cold here now though...

Toby Wong?
    Strewth! Phils is too snowy past the Chicken
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    Strewth! Phils is too snowy past the Chicken
    I've heard of a Snowy Plover, but until now, never a Snowy Chicken.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas