grinder

Bend visit this weekend

Hi All,

I'm from down in the NorCal Bay Area visiting Bend this weekend and have my bike in tow so I was looking to get some riding in today/tomorrow/Sunday. I've got maybe 2-3 hours each day so that is a constraint. A couple suggestions I had and wanted to try were Tiddlywinks and Swampy Lakes. I've ridden Phil's a few times and had a blast on Whoops.

All that being said, are there other trails you'd suggest riding? Are there some Strava routes you could share if I'm solo? Anybody know any riding groups if I wanted to hitch a ride with anyone?

Thanks

Nordy

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Park at the top of Funner, go out Tiddlywinks down to the bottom of Funner then back up. Rode all of that last weekend and it was fantastic. You may be able to loop all the way out on Tylers Traverse but I didn't do that and not sure how long it will take. Can also ride COD as an out and back, going up as far as time allows.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I think Swampy is still snowed.

Bradoenema's suggestion is good, although I prefer to climb first then descend. You could do so by parking at Green Gate lot off of Century Dr. on the left just uphill of the long, straight chain up area.

Other suggestions would be to head out Conklin Rd. then:

1.) Up Storm King, up Funner and back down (90min - 2 hours).

2.) Up Tyler's climb as far as conditions allow, then back down (60-90 min.).

3.) Up Storm King, up Funner, down Tiddlywinks, down Storm King (2-3 hours).

mtbr member
    Funnier and Twinks are riding great. Some softness in the new features on the second of those. I didn't hit any of the half-blind gap jumps with plants and logs in them.

Skyliner through Whoops to Phils today was fun.

Much indication that Swampy has blowdown on bendtrails.org. Same for the other side with Tumalo Ridge. Check the comments on specific trails on that site, they are updating daily.

mtbr member
    Squirrelly conditions this morning.

Bend visit this weekend-image.jpg

See?

Bend visit this weekend-image.jpeg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Funnier and Twinks are riding great. Some softness in the new features on the second of those. I didn't hit any of the half-blind gap jumps with plants and logs in them.

Skyliner through Whoops to Phils today was fun.

Much indication that Swampy has blowdown on bendtrails.org. Same for the other side with Tumalo Ridge. Check the comments on specific trails on that site, they are updating daily.
    Swampy lot to shelter is clear with snow patches. Southfork clear as of today but has snow patches. Swede ridge and tumalo ridge have both been clear a few days. a couple snow patches on swede. All this posted on bendtrails.org

grinder
    Probably riding at peak time of day but going to roll Ben's/Lower Whoops/Phil's today. Wife won't allow riding trails I haven't ridden before solo so no go on Tiddlywinks today unfortunately. Thanks for the recommendations though - have to check them out next time I get up here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    All this posted on bendtrails.org
    You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the hard work.

Where can I buy COTA gear before I leave? Had no luck at Pine Mtn.

mtbr member
    You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the hard work.

Where can I buy COTA gear before I leave? Had no luck at Pine Mtn.
    COTA hasn't created any gear for many years - so my guess is you can't find it anywhere. Not to my knowledge anyhow.

Would be nice to get some new stuff. All I have is a tee shirt that's too small and and jersey that's too big

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Any suggestions for getting sort of 30-40+ mile loops, will be heading down in a couple of week to do some riding and training for BCBR and need mileage and saddle time... Will be there for Sat-Wednesday so ping to get Phil's done on the weekend to avoid closure and so other trails during the week...

mtbr member
    Phil's is open all the time now. It's mainly GS and COD and stuff in that area since 5/13/2016 that are affected.

Swampy to South Fork to Skyliner to Whoops to Phil's is a 20-mile point-to-point that I did yesterday with a shuttle. You could make a lot longer by climbing Upper Whoops to Sector 16 to Swede, cutting off some of the Swampy loop.

The day before I rode Tyler's from Wanoga as a shuttle, including the Tiddlywinks up and Kiwa transition plus Duodenum lollipop in the middle of Tyler's. It was 15 miles to the bottom of Tyler's. You could make it a lot longer by climbing up Storm King and Funner to Wanogs at the start, and climbing Catch and Release back to the bottom of Storm King at the end.

In a couple weeks the higher elevations could be opened up more, giving you better options like Mrazek or North Fork, maybe. Which would be good because the Wanoga trails got hammered this weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I thought phils was closed during the week (see sticky post on top of this) Grand Slam is one of my favourites, so hoping to ride that on the weekend. Which trail is COD? (Sorry only been there a few times don't recall them all)

Not a super big fan of whoops, but sound like it might be worth it to do that loop. I was thinking about riding up Tylers but couldn't see where I would park. and wuld rather climb it and ride down than descend then climb .

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Oh and thank you for the recos...need to see if I can lay some routes down in trailforks.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    I thought phils was closed during the week (see sticky post on top of this) Grand Slam is one of my favourites, so hoping to ride that on the weekend. Which trail is COD? (Sorry only been there a few times don't recall them all)

Not a super big fan of whoops, but sound like it might be worth it to do that loop. I was thinking about riding up Tylers but couldn't see where I would park. and wuld rather climb it and ride down than descend then climb .
    Phil's TRAIL is open daily. Phil's NETWORK has some closures (COD and GS).

If you want to ride Tyler's then you can park at the bottom. Drive down Conklin road until just before it turns to dirt (about 10 miles) and you'll see a parking area.

mtbr member
    From https://bendtrails.org/phils-area-trail-closure/
    Quote Originally Posted by BendTrails
    As of Friday, May 13th at 5:00 PM, Phil’s Trail, Marvin’s Garden, The Lair, Elfin Magic, and KGB will now be open for the summer.
    Tyler's is one way DH only but there is an up route that parallels it.

EDIT - oh and I don't know what COD stands for. I've only ever heard it called COD.

mtbr member
    From https://bendtrails.org/phils-area-trail-closure/

Tyler's is one way DH only but there is an up route that parallels it.

EDIT - oh and I don't know what COD stands for. I've only ever heard it called COD.
    COD is named after Cody Davis. Still a resident in Bend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Sorry I meant the network, being a local the entire area is just phil's trails to me. Thank you for the info that'll be super useful!

Trail Cubist
    I still haven't ridden any trails in the Phil's network, and from what I've seen, there are an S-load more trails around there beyond the somewhat-porous boundaries of the Phil's network. In fact, the whole central part of Oregon just appears to me as one endless labyrinth of mountain-bikeable trails and fire roads, LOL.

Are the Phil's trails well-marked? Looking at maps it's such a labyrinth that I'd think the potential for getting hopelessly lost would be high without a map of the system on a GPS...

None of this is said critically, BTW—I really want to get over there and ride. Just need to find a weekend when I can escape on my own. :-)

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

Nat
    mtbr member
    Phil's trails are well-marked in that you won't get lost enough to die as long as you stick to singletrack. You would want to have a map or use the real-time gps map on Bendtrails.org (a wonderful tool, BTW) to know where you are though. There are several intersections that are marked with just a numbered post and a general "Bend is that way" arrow but you could easily go in circles if you didn't know the network.

If you do get turned around in Phil's network just keep in mind that it roughly forms a triangle bordered by FS300, Skyliners Rd., and Century Dr. so as long as you head east and never cross pavement you would eventually get back to the trailhead or close to it.

mtbr member
    Generally any COTA trail markers are going to be very detailed and for example include a signpost in the center of an intersection/landing along with signage as you head out of that intersection and down a specific trail. So when you reach the summit of Tiddlywinks it tells you "this way to descend Tiddlywinks and that way to Kiwa" and then as you enter Tiddlywinks to descend it has a new sign saying "you're on Tiddlywinks".

I found these markings were outstanding on the lower Phil's network. Once you get up into Swampy, Swede, etc. the COTA markings get more sparse and reliant in some cases on the cross-country-ski community. For example, there's nothing that tells you you're descending South Fork trail at Swampy shelter.

Wanoga trails are also all very well marked, including the braids in Funner and such where it tells you relative difficulty on each fork. An exception is the bottom of Storm King where it crosses the new Catch and Release trail.

My first trip to Bend several years back I opted for a guided shuttled ride (Cog Wild Bachelor-to-Bend) and didn't regret it one bit.

Offline maps (printed or Trailforks or something that you can download) are also a great idea. I used BendTrails to plan my day (the updates/comments were super helpful as trails were dynamically opening on a daily basis over the weekend) and then Trailforks to check where I was when I was out of cell range.

Nat
    mtbr member
    And, if you're in Phil's triangle you will likely encounter another rider before long so even if you got turned around I'm sure someone could point you the right way.

If you head down a jeep road then god help you. There are so many of those that go everywhere and nowhere.

Trail Cubist
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    If you head down a jeep road then god help you. There are so many of those that go everywhere and nowhere.
    Ahh, but that's where the fun begins! LOL :-)

But seriously, thanks Nat and tbmaddux—good info! I need to stare at maps more. For example, is a trail like Dinah Moe Humm officially part of Phil's?

Okay—a quick look at Bendtrails.org says...
    Dinah Moe Humm was created to connect the Wanoga trails (from the Kiwa and Tyler’s junction) with the Edison Lava Trail and beyond.
    That's what I meant—you can easily head off on some trail in Phil's network and end up at Mt. Bachelor or LaPine State Park, LOL. I realize you'd probably do this deliberately, but that's what I love about that area generally!

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

Trail Cubist
    What might be handy on Bendtrails.org is an overview map something like this (and I'm just guessing at labels—maybe someone can clarify?)

Scott

Nat
    mtbr member
    Although there's no official delineation, I think when most of us say "Phil's" we're referring to the lower elevation trails no further west than Helipad and Storm King.

Swampy is just Swampy, SST, Ridge, Vista, and maybe the top of South Fork and Swede Ridge.

Wanoga includes Funner, Tiddly, Tyler's, Larsen, Duo, Kiwa.

Everything else kind of goes by its own name.

Speaking of which, does anyone have, or has anyone heard of a nickname for the intersection of Funner, Tiddly, and Storm King where all of those rocks are? It would be easier than saying, "Meet up at the intersection of Funner, Tiddly, and Storm King you know where all those rocks are?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    "Meet up at the intersection of Funner, Tiddly, and Storm King you know where all those rocks are?"
    We should coin a new acronym name... MUATIOFTASK

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drunberg View Post
    We should coin a new acronym name... MUATIOFTASK
    I like it. What other permutations can you think of? FaTSKi?

"I'm at FatSKi rocks."

mtbr member
    That's funny, because I used a non-acronym version of that several times during my visit over a Memorial Day weekend. I also missed the cutoff from Storm King every time and had to turn back to get to the tiny parking lot, except for the first time when I just went the 100yd down the road.

Bottom of Storm King is also very confusing when there's a huge camping scene at the other side of the big G-out where it meets Catch and Release.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you don't have it, get the PDF Maps app. There are 3 Bend geopdfs, two are free, the other is a digital version of the Adventure Map. They don't require a signal, and you get the little blue navigation dot. They are taking off in WA as the standard format for maps, and the forest service is increasingly heading in that direction, so it's worth the 45 minutes or so searching for a cache of maps and learning how to import them into your phone.

mtbr member
    That's funny, because I used a non-acronym version of that several times during my visit over a Memorial Day weekend. I also missed the cutoff from Storm King every time and had to turn back to get to the tiny parking lot, except for the first time when I just went the 100yd down the road.

Bottom of Storm King is also very confusing when there's a huge camping scene at the other side of the big G-out where it meets Catch and Release.
    Haha same here! Not sure what the intersection is but I definitely chose the wrong turn! At least you turned back, I was having fun so I just kept going and by the time I realized I had to climb 3 miles back up the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trail Cubist
    Quote Originally Posted by euro-trash View Post
    If you don't have it, get the PDF Maps app. There are 3 Bend geopdfs, two are free, the other is a digital version of the Adventure Map. They don't require a signal, and you get the little blue navigation dot. They are taking off in WA as the standard format for maps, and the forest service is increasingly heading in that direction, so it's worth the 45 minutes or so searching for a cache of maps and learning how to import them into your phone.
    +1 for PDF Maps—I love it! And I've probably spent $30 on digital versions of the Adventure maps.

But if you use PDF maps, I also recommend you buy a USB battery charger for your phone—it's more weight to carry, but really nice for keeping your phone topped-off on all-day adventures. (I really wish my phone would last half as long as my Garmin Oregon 600 GPS, which will go for days on a pair of the expensive, super-lithium batteries.)

Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    How about Mzarek out to Trail99? Rideable now, worth it any fun? looks like that together would be a 29 mile out ride, then bringing it back could easily get 58?

Where would I find the PDF maps, I have the app for my phone but can't find them anywhere, I've tried all sorts of search terms, and looking in the app it doesn't seem to do anything useful.

mtbr member
    How about Mzarek out to Trail99? Rideable now, worth it any fun? looks like that together would be a 29 mile out ride, then bringing it back could easily get 58?
    see here.
    https://bendtrails.org/trail/metoliu...l-99/#comments

Trail Cubist

Where would I find the PDF maps, I have the app for my phone but can't find them anywhere, I've tried all sorts of search terms, and looking in the app it doesn't seem to do anything useful.
    From within the app, finding maps in PDFMaps is a pain—the search interface is lame. The best way I've found (still a pain) is to use the map view and just keep zooming in and tapping on the little icons to see which map it is.

The Adventure map for this area is called "Bend Area Trails" (at least that's how it shows up in my map listing.

I just tried finding it again and totally failed. It's a great app but is dying under the crush of so many zillions of arcane maps like national forest firewood maps, national forest vehicle maps, national forest vault toilet maps, and national forest elk dropping maps (kidding, but you get the point!).

The app developers seriously haven't accommodated the app's increasing popularity!

Just try using the map and tap pushpins 'til you find the Adventure Maps. That's all I can say at this point. <shrug>

Scott

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just rode Farewell Bend to Mrazek to Shevlin today (6/2/16), The last 2/3 mile near the top of Farewell Bend had 60 downed trees, it was clear to that point and a great big THANKS to whoever had been out there clearing the blowdown up to that point
    because somebody was workin for sure. From the intersection of Farewell and Mrazek towards Shevlin (Bend) there were 130 downed trees in the first probably 2 miles. After the rock outcrop/view area heading towards Bend/Shevlin there were only 7-8 more trees down in the next mile. About half of all of these trees were 4-8in in diameter and could be cleared with a bunch of guys with hand saws. The other half were 10-15 in with one tree on upper Farewell that was probably 34 in in diameter and maybe a tad larger. So in total, close to 200 trees down. I just ventured up Mrazek a hundred feet or so towards Rd 4601 and Happy Valley and saw a dozen trees down in that short distance. It's gonna take a lot of work to clear things out up there.

Trail Cubist
    Seems like if this many trees fall over trails every year, all trees within "trail blocking distance" would be gone after a few years of cutting them out. :-)

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone View Post
    Seems like if this many trees fall over trails every year, all trees within "trail blocking distance" would be gone after a few years of cutting them out. :-)
    One would think that would happen, right? Somehow every year there's a ton of blowdown everywhere.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I got out there yesterday with a saw and cleared on Mrazek from the first (highest) crossing of Rd 700 down towards town and Shevlin Park. Somebody else had been out there earlier than I and they had been clearing up from below the rock outcrop/view spot. Aside from 2 trees that I couldn't cut due to running out of gas Mrazek should be clear up to within about 2/3 mile of the Mrazek/Farewell trail junction.

I did not walk the entire trail section but just cleared down until I ran into freshly cut out trees and so I'm assuming it is all clear up to that point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks RTurn

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTurner View Post
    I got out there yesterday with a saw and cleared on Mrazek from the first (highest) crossing of Rd 700 down towards town and Shevlin Park. Somebody else had been out there earlier than I and they had been clearing up from below the rock outcrop/view spot. Aside from 2 trees that I couldn't cut due to running out of gas Mrazek should be clear up to within about 2/3 mile of the Mrazek/Farewell trail junction.

I did not walk the entire trail section but just cleared down until I ran into freshly cut out trees and so I'm assuming it is all clear up to that point.
    Thank you. Also, thanks to whoever always remembers to sculpt the backside of every jump, so I know I can roll it if I can't see/don't remember/hungover what this particular jump is like..

Trail Cubist

Wait, I thought we weren't allowed to just go clear logs? (Or are you a USFS employee?) Just wondering. I thought I'd read somewhere that non-USFS people can't clear logs from FS trails.

If that's not the case, I'll do a lot more clearing! :-)

Scott

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I would not suggest just heading out with a chain saw and clearing trail. If you are interested in lending a hand and helping out in the areas around Bend please contact COTA and the trail maintenance coordinator at trailwork@cotamtb.com . There is a lot of blow down out there and brushing to be done and that will continue as snow levels continue to rise so work with these guys to maximize the benefit to the entire system.

That said For much of the riding season around Bend I carry a foldable saw and clear small stuff up to 6-8 inches as do many riders in the area. I have gone out with a couple of COTA trail adopters and worked on their trails both dirt work and deadfall clearing and gotten their permission to help with their trails. I always make a strong attempt to contact the current trail adopter via the COTA site before I go out and do more than clear a couple of small downed trees with my hand saw so they don't head out planning on doing a bunch of work just out to find that it's been done. I have also contacted the local USFS and the person who runs their certified sawyer program and trail maint program and follow all USFS and COTA trail standards. To become familiar with these head over to the COTA site and look around.

The USFS will not say "yes Joe-Bob go ahead and head out into the forrest and clear trail" but most of the trial clearing and maintenance around this area at least is done by several different volunteer groups (running, equestrian and MTB). The USFS just doesn't have the people or funding to maintain all of these trail networks nation wide so volunteerism gets it done.

mtbr member
    I would not suggest just heading out with a chain saw and clearing trail. If you are interested in lending a hand and helping out in the areas around Bend please contact COTA and the trail maintenance coordinator at trailwork@cotamtb.com . There is a lot of blow down out there and brushing to be done and that will continue as snow levels continue to rise so work with these guys to maximize the benefit to the entire system.

That said For much of the riding season around Bend I carry a foldable saw and clear small stuff up to 6-8 inches as do many riders in the area. I have gone out with a couple of COTA trail adopters and worked on their trails both dirt work and deadfall clearing and gotten their permission to help with their trails. I always make a strong attempt to contact the current trail adopter via the COTA site before I go out and do more than clear a couple of small downed trees with my hand saw so they don't head out planning on doing a bunch of work just out to find that it's been done. I have also contacted the local USFS and the person who runs their certified sawyer program and trail maint program and follow all USFS and COTA trail standards. To become familiar with these head over to the COTA site and look around.

The USFS will not say "yes Joe-Bob go ahead and head out into the forrest and clear trail" but most of the trial clearing and maintenance around this area at least is done by several different volunteer groups (running, equestrian and MTB). The USFS just doesn't have the people or funding to maintain all of these trail networks nation wide so volunteerism gets it done.
    Great answer!

btw - here are some basics for tree clearing (approved by a COTA board member).

https://bendtrails.org/trail-work-clearing-deadfall/

mtbr member
    Anybody happen to know if North Fork/Farewell loop is fully cleared at top of North Fork/MW? Bend Trails still posts North Fork being full of deadfall as of two days ago. I am in town until Wed and wanted to ride this if possible. Thx.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Have not heard of anybody going out to clear N. Fork or the section from Happy Valley to the top of Farewell Bend.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Will out/back Farewell then from Swampy and back
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Rturner is likely correct--I tried to go to Happy Valley from Shevlin Park yesterday and there was significant deadfall <1 mile past the Farewell junction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    Rturner is likely correct--I tried to go to Happy Valley from Shevlin Park yesterday and there was significant deadfall <1 mile past the Farewell junction.
    Just got back from ride. We did Swampy/S.Fork/N.Fork/Rd 370/Mrazek/Farewell/Tumalo Creek/Ridge/SST back to Swampy. 26.5 miles, 3,500ft vert for 3.0hrs ride time

N. Fork is all clear to Happy Valley with only a few brief snow patches to ride thru before creek at top. We jumped on Rd 370 or doubletrack for about 3/4 mile due to appearance of much deadfall on MW. Hopped on upper Mrazek about 3/4 mile before Farewell with mixed clear and blowdown for about 1/2 mile, then all clear for about 1/4 mile before Farewell. Great loop trail ride, especially S. Fork descent and N. Fork climb nice despite many hikers for a Monday. Farewell fun, but already pretty dry and getting loose. SST was fun for the return. Could do S. fork descent over and over and over, that good.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Could do S. fork descent over and over and over, that good.
    Nice ride and report. I wound up on S. Fork by accident over Memorial Day weekend (I was confused about where the split to Swede was) and once I realized my mistake I kept going anyway because it was too damn fun. Even with the slip and slide over the snow patches.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Just got back from ride. We did Swampy/S.Fork/N.Fork/Rd 370/Mrazek/Farewell/Tumalo Creek/Ridge/SST back to Swampy. 26.5 miles, 3,500ft vert for 3.0hrs ride time

N. Fork is all clear to Happy Valley with only a few brief snow patches to ride thru before creek at top. We jumped on Rd 370 or doubletrack for about 3/4 mile due to appearance of much deadfall on MW. Hopped on upper Mrazek about 3/4 mile before Farewell with mixed clear and blowdown for about 1/2 mile, then all clear for about 1/4 mile before Farewell.
    Apparently my assumption was somewhat incorrect. Thanks for correcting me.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Cool, thanks for the update!

mtbr member
    Nice ride and report. I wound up on S. Fork by accident over Memorial Day weekend (I was confused about where the split to Swede was) and once I realized my mistake I kept going anyway because it was too damn fun. Even with the slip and slide over the snow patches.
    It is a good rip and pretty much perfect now. Sadly will degrade in conditions as the season progresses. I used to ride it 13 years ago when lived in town for clinical during a summer. Bend trails are fun of course, but a lot more people out than 13 years ago. Tumalo Falls had about 50 cars out, which i thought was crazy. Too many people in the world today.
    Ride On!