Thread: Bend Visit 9/21

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Bend Visit 9/21

A friend and I are visiting Bend next weekend. It is my first time to Bend am looking for a couple of good rides. We are coming from Boise and planning to ride a long ride Saturday & a short Sunday.

We are intermediate level skill and endurance. Both have HT 29ers.

Looking for some good intel on what to ride. Saturday we are looking for a 15+ mile ride mostly singletrack with a good mix of flow, tech and trees. We can hand a decent up hill if necessary, though would prefer not to do our normal 1hr+ constant uphill.

So far we have come up with Edison-lava lake, Waldo Lake, Mrazek, and Tumalo loop as options for our long ride.

We were looking at probably bumming around Phils for the Sunday ride or doing a shuttle up to bachelor.

Let me know what you recommend. Lastly, any good bad or the other on Bend Cyclery? They have a Norco I've been dying to demo (would have if Sun Valley wasn't burning the past month), might end up making a terrible vacation impulse buy.

COTA member
    For a good feel of the Central Oregon single track..

Mrazek->Metolius/Windago->Flagline->Swede Ridge->Whoops->Ben's. Makes for a nice 45 mile loop. I typically ride it in about 4.5 hours on my 29er HT.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Dry Side thanks for the feedback but h0lysh!t with the mileage. How much total vert is that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    Mrazek->Metolius/Windago->Flagline->Swede Ridge->Whoops->Ben's. Makes for a nice 45 mile loop. I typically ride it in about 4.5 hours on my 29er HT.
    Holy crap man. Averaging 10 MPH on that ride is great!

Afric Pepperbird
    I'd skip Edison-Lava Lake. It's just not that fun.

Think about the Cog Wild shuttle from Dutchman and ride into town. It's a great ride, and only $10 a person! Nowhere near as brutal as Dry Side's suggestion.

Or, one of my faves, ride from Skyliners Trailhead to Tumalo Creek--->South Fork--->Flagline--->Flagline Tie---> Ridge Trail---> SST--->Sector 16/Upper Whoops---> Skyliners back to car.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    About 19 miles with more climbing but well worth it. Park at Tumalo Falls. North Fork - Met/Win - Flagline - Sout Fork - Tumalo Falls. Takes me 3 hours.

Another option is to start at Phil's TH. Phils- ELV -Grand Slam - Voodoo-Phils up to Heli Pad - down Whoops - Bens - Phils TH. But Whoops is blown out so use caution.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Holy crap man. Averaging 10 MPH on that ride is great!
    So what I can take from this quote is Dryside is a machine!

Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I'd skip Edison-Lava Lake. It's just not that fun.

Think about the Cog Wild shuttle from Dutchman and ride into town. It's a great ride, and only $10 a person! Nowhere near as brutal as Dry Side's suggestion.

Or, one of my faves, ride from Skyliners Trailhead to Tumalo Creek--->South Fork--->Flagline--->Flagline Tie---> Ridge Trail---> SST--->Sector 16/Upper Whoops---> Skyliners back to car.
    Thanks Dirt Farmer! Any good websites or places to grab maps so we can properly tie together a loop? So far found mtbproject and cascadesingletrack.

Afric Pepperbird

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by antigravity19 View Post
    Any good websites or places to grab maps so we can properly tie together a loop? So far found mtbproject and cascadesingletrack.
    Just about every outdoor retailer in town has an Adventuremap, which is the best way to go:

Bend Area Trail Map | Adventure Maps

For a 15 mile ride without prolonged climbing, a Cog Wild shuttle drop at Swampy Sno-park with a generally downhill route would be fun. You could either do:

A. South Fork/Tumalo Creek/Skyliner/Ben's

- or -

B. Swede Ridge/Skyliner/Ben's

Keep in mind the miles roll by pretty quickly in Bend. If you decide you're up for a one hour climb then Metolius/Windigo trail really delivers the goods, and this is the best time of year for the higher elevation trails. Bachelor-to-Bend is a classic:

Drop-off at Dutchman Sno-park, ride up Flagline Access to Metolius/Windigo (aka, Trail 99), then descend endlessly on Mrazek.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nat is right on about using a shuttle if you want to cover more distance with less climbing.

Use caution when descending because some of the trails are showing signs of heavy braking at this time of year. A few spots on Flagline and South Forth, and much of Sector 16, Upper Whoops, and Lower Whoops will punish you if you aren't looking ahead and maybe even if you are and don't know what is coming. There is a nasty spot on Lower Whoops where the back of one of the jumps is laddered out making a blind and unstable landing area.

mtbr member
    The rest of the posters have you covered. Bend Cyclery is great the owner eric is a nice and helpful guy.
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

COTA member
    I think of myself as an average rider. Maybe I am a bit crazy as I actually enjoy climbing Farewell and Flagline. Tomorrow a buddy who rides a similar pace of me is going to go up North Fork and I am going to go up Farewell. We both will meet at the 370/4601 junction. The distance is equal both ways. I expect we will meet within a couple minutes of each other.

The loop I suggested earlier in this thread does not have any super steep climbs or technical descents. It does include sector 16 which is tight, but not super technical.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    I think of myself as an average rider.
    That 45 mile loop in 4.5 hours puts you in an above average category.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    About 19 miles with more climbing but well worth it. Park at Tumalo Falls. North Fork - Met/Win - Flagline - Sout Fork - Tumalo Falls. Takes me 3 hours.
    I keeps seeing Met/Win and Flagline on a lot of recommended lists. This distance fits a little better with what my friend is looking to do. We can always tack on something if we are still looking for more mileage in the end.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by antigravity19 View Post
    I keeps seeing Met/Win and Flagline on a lot of recommended lists. This distance fits a little better with what my friend is looking to do. We can always tack on something if we are still looking for more mileage in the end.
    Be aware that North Fork - Met/Win involve about as much steep climbing as there is to be had in this immediate area. It's a grunt but pays dividends.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nat is right about NF. It is basically a 4 mile climb but so worth it. The trail is in good shape so if you drop into granny and give yourself plenty of time its not a big deal. Beautiful views of waterfalls on the way up.
    Last edited by StreamRider; 09-14-2013 at 11:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Photos taken riding up North Fork.

Bend Visit 9/21-img_1.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_2.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_5.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_6.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_7.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_8.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_9.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_10.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_11.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_12.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_13.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_14.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_15.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_16.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_17.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_18.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_19.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_20.jpg

Bend Visit 9/21-img_21.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Cool pics Streamrider, what where is all the scrub brush? Doesn't seem like Mt biking without endless scrub brush. :P

Out of curiosity, just checked the weather earlier and it looks like cool and rainy is a definite possibility. Any areas that are more tolerant to rain or god forbid white stuff at higher elevations?

I realize weather in this area is fairly volatile, so not getting too down. But 50's and rainy in town would make for some cruddy riding Saturday. Hopefully it takes a turn for the better.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I wouldnt worry about rain it can rain for days here and there will still be dust.
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

Nat
    Solo contendre
    It's kind of neat seeing raindrops hit the ground in little puffs of dust.

30% chance of rain with "few showers" and a high of 61F on Saturday could make for some very good riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Good to know. It was the 55 and 60% chance on wunderground that had us a bit nervous. Ultimately I don't really trust the national sites too much when it comes to the NW.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Big thanks Streamrider and the rest for the tips. Did the NF, Met/Win, Flagline, SF loop and had a blast on Saturday.

NF and Met/Win were really well done with a gradual pitch and a flat spots for breaks. My buddy couldn't stop raving about how great and scenic the ride up was. The varied terrain on the down hill was great and seemingly endless. Only saw a total of 7 people (6 in 1 group) between NF/Metwin intersection and Swamp Lakes Shelter.

Only downsides were the constant rain when we were at the top in the meadows and the large creek crossing towards the end of Met/Win that I botched. Hit it completely wrong and got flipped.

I really wish Bend was closer than a 6 hr drive, but I will definitely visit again. Next time it will be more than a two night stay. Thanks Again.