mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Bend -- Tyler's Traverse, Lone Wolf, Duodenum & Steve Larson

Does anyone know the status of Tyler's Traverse, Lone Wolf, Duodenum and Steve Larson? In particular, are they open/finished?

mtbr member
    Steve Larson has been open for a long time. Tyler's is under construction. Duodenum I will let someone else answer as i don't know the official status.

Lone wolf - no idea. Guessing hasn't been started...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks. Sketchbook, do you know if it is possible to take Kiwa Butte, off of TW, to connect with Tyler's Traverse and then Steve Larson? Basically, I am wondering if one can loop back around to TW by taking Kiwa Butte, Tyler's and Steve Larson. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I can't answer that. Tyler's is being worked on (even today), so I would probably steer clear of that trail personally.

You can probably grab a few logging roads to make a loop if you know where you are going...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You can, in a way.....from the Storm King parking lot, you can take TW to Larsen, then take Larsen up to Kiwa Spring, and then climb FS 4133 to Kiwa Butte. Definetly bring a map if you're not familiar with the area. I use this route alot to get up to Tidds, its a nice way to get a few extra miles in and you dont have to worry about descending riders. As far as I can tell no ground has been broken on Tyler's above 4133.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ninjuh, that is just the information I was looking for. FS4133 will serve as a fine connector between Kiwa Butte and Larsen. Thanks! The loop looks pretty sweet once the trail gnomes finish Tyler's between Larsen and Kiwa Butte.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjuh View Post
    You can, in a way.....from the Storm King parking lot, you can take TW to Larsen, then take Larsen up to Kiwa Spring, and then climb FS 4133 to Kiwa Butte. Definetly bring a map if you're not familiar with the area. I use this route alot to get up to Tidds, its a nice way to get a few extra miles in and you dont have to worry about descending riders. As far as I can tell no ground has been broken on Tyler's above 4133.
    A week ago today, I saw the DitchWitch parked off of road 4133. The COTA worklog shows that construction has begun.

The initial phase of Tyler's (at least what I believe is Tyler's) has been there for the last year. Just south of the Kiwa Springs pond, there is a trail off to the right. This goes for a mile or so to where it dead-ends at a triple intersection of roads (4133, 200, and 100). This is where I saw the DitchWitch parked (I think on 200?).

Whenever I'm up there, I look for what the map calls "Lone Wolf", yet can find nothing. I don't believe it has been built yet.

I, too, know nothing much about Duodenum.

mtbr member
    Duodenum construction is pretty much finished as far as i know. It's just not really connected to anything else at the moment.

There are people on here more familiar with it's official status.

please, just ride
    Duodenum is rideable but not "finished". There is no signage yet and is still a work in progress. It is basically a lollipop loop(with exploration options!)that starts at the intersection of 100, 200 and 4133.It is old road and road to trail conversion.Descend down 100, veer right at the next junction. 50 yards up is the base of the loop. Go clockwise, climbing about 1/2 mile or so. As it flattens out look for a junction that turns right. This will traverse the ridge for a bit then take you down a twisting corkscrew of trail back to the base of the lollipop.Climb back up road 100. Bring a good map as there are some other places to explore out there. As I said this is a work in progress. Don't expect buffed out trail.
    BUILD,RIDE,REPEAT.
    Support COTA and your Local Brewery

let's ride
    Oct 2012
    the Duodenum rocks! so does frank...
    live to ride, ride to party.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by seedy View Post
    Duodenum is rideable but not "finished". There is no signage yet and is still a work in progress. It is basically a lollipop loop(with exploration options!)that starts at the intersection of 100, 200 and 4133.It is old road and road to trail conversion.Descend down 100, veer right at the next junction. 50 yards up is the base of the loop. Go clockwise, climbing about 1/2 mile or so. As it flattens out look for a junction that turns right. This will traverse the ridge for a bit then take you down a twisting corkscrew of trail back to the base of the lollipop.Climb back up road 100. Bring a good map as there are some other places to explore out there. As I said this is a work in progress. Don't expect buffed out trail.
    Am I blind, or what? I never can seem to find this trail! I've ridden down rd. 100, and never see any trails or tape. Has anyone else had luck finding Duodenum?

Maybe I'm not going down road 100 far enough.

please, just ride
    "Bring a good map" or wait until it is signed. We don't want Woodman to have to come and find you!
    BUILD,RIDE,REPEAT.
    Support COTA and your Local Brewery

Afric Pepperbird
    "Bring a good map" or wait until it is signed. We don't want Woodman to have to come and find you!
    Can you recommend a "good map"? The AdventureMaps is terrible for this area.

I've got a Sasquatch whistle, should I get lost.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    How are the standard USGS 7.5 minute quad maps for that area? Up to date?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

My next search and rescue mission will be Yellowman, I have not seen that little guy in quite some time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I will be searching for Duodenum today. Will chime-in if I am able to locate the elusive dirt. I was able to find Tyler's a couple of days ago, but it took some searching.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Keep going down 100, the directions posted above worked for me. Having ridden Duo I'd say it might not be worth the trip at the moment if you aren't too familiar with the area, definetly still in its infancy and can't really be ridden properly. Excellent concept and use of the unique topography though, this trail will be sick once she's polished.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I didn't find it today, but I also don't quite understand where the intersection of 100, 200 and 4133 is found. I don't see on the map that those three FS roads intersect. However, I also didn't have a lot of time to poke around. Tyler's is really loose right after Larson, but it gets better closer to Colklin. It will be sweet once it has some time to season.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by SpryIP View Post
    I didn't find it today, but I also don't quite understand where the intersection of 100, 200 and 4133 is found. I don't see on the map that those three FS roads intersect. However, I also didn't have a lot of time to poke around. Tyler's is really loose right after Larson, but it gets better closer to Colklin. It will be sweet once it has some time to season.
    The intersection of 4133, 200, and 100 is right where the older section of Tyler's ends.