Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Bend Trails - Wasps?

WTF is up with the wasps on the Bend trails? Stop and they immediately start buzzing all over.

mtbr member
    Rode there for the first time ever on Saturday. They were a little bit annoying at upper elevations, like you'd see a couple, but by the time we got to the bottom of Whoops I just didn't want to pause at all. It's like they wanted to eat my calves.

They were rampant in parts of the High Desert Museum as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    WTF is up with the wasps on the Bend trails? Stop and they immediately start buzzing all over.
    I never noticed them in previous summers but this year was just horrible. I thought it was just me. They are especially bad around Lower Whoops and the upper portion of Storm King.

Two weeks ago I stopped at the bottom of Lower Whoops for about 5 minutes to grab a bite and got swarmed and without provocation one of those f---ers stung me high on the back of the leg just below my @ss. I was cursing like a sailor for at least 10 minutes. It hurt like a mofo for almost 2 days.

After that incident, I instituted a no-stopping rule in that entire general area and authorized a kill-on-sight for every one of those bastards I could get my gloves on.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    It's not just Phil's but this entire area. My backyard is inundated. I set up a new trap (one of those bright yellow canister things) and within the first hour I had at least 20 of them.

Central Oregon buzzing with yellow jackets | News - Home

mtbr member
    Noticed this for the first time yesterday before and after riding the Edison Lava trail out of edison snow park. They were moderately annoying before the ride. hovering around water that was spilling out of my over full camelback.

After the ride it was absolutely ridiculous. I just about left my bike in the lot. buckled the damn thing on as fast as i could (1 tire) and got the hell out of dodge.

They were wanting to drink my sweat.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    It's not just Phil's but this entire area. My backyard is inundated. I set up a new trap (one of those bright yellow canister things) and within the first hour I had at least 20 of them.

Central Oregon buzzing with yellow jackets | News - Home
    This.

The Yellowjackets are everywhere this year.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Flies are bad this year too.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On the plus side, mosquitoes seem to be down this year. Even at Waldo in July there wasn't very many. Though I did get stung by a wasp so I guess it is a trade off.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I got nailed on Mt. Hood two rides back. Later that afternoon there were around twenty-five hovering around my top tube. Yes, I was off the bike at the time.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Tactical Nightmare
    Rode Bend for my first time ever this last weekend, and we noticed it too. After a couple of stops, we too instituted a stop less than 30 seconds rule because within that amount of time, they were swarming. I got stung twice myself, but surprisingly, they weren't that bad. One was a flying bastard that ran into me while riding and got caught under my hydration pack strap on my chest. The other was right at the Pheonix at Phil's and we stopped to get a quick picture and it got me on my back under my pack.

They are relentless little buggers! Being that we weren't from around that area, we wondered if this was normal for this time of year, but apparantly not. We also thought it had to do with the amount of beer in our sweat from the night before's drinking.
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - Team Dirt - Build It. Ride It.

Dirtmistress
    I live in L.A. and have never seen so many in my yard. My dad in the hill country of Texas is inundated too. Could it be that plague thing or the Apocalypse?
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Rode Bend for my first time ever this last weekend, and we noticed it too. After a couple of stops, we too instituted a stop less than 30 seconds rule because within that amount of time, they were swarming. I got stung twice myself, but surprisingly, they weren't that bad. One was a flying bastard that ran into me while riding and got caught under my hydration pack strap on my chest. The other was right at the Pheonix at Phil's and we stopped to get a quick picture and it got me on my back under my pack.

They are relentless little buggers! Being that we weren't from around that area, we wondered if this was normal for this time of year, but apparantly not. We also thought it had to do with the amount of beer in our sweat from the night before's drinking.
    Frost will cure this fast!!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    HORRIBLE everywhere this year. The winter last year was too mild. My wife had to go to the ER last week, not having known she was allergic. I have been on a mission, killing nest after nest after nest on my 4 acres. Brutal!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Stung twice in the last few weeks, we needed the rain we did not get today to drown all the stinging beast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    These little buggers are very aggressive and hungry! I mistimed a pedal stroke going through some rocks and ended up with a gash on my shin. In the 30 secs it took me to get a tissue out of my pack I had a vampire wasp slurping up the blood. Yuk!

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    These little buggers are very aggressive and hungry! I mistimed a pedal stroke going through some rocks and ended up with a gash on my shin. In the 30 secs it took me to get a tissue out of my pack I had a vampire wasp slurping up the blood. Yuk!
    Had one fly into my mouth going down Kent's today. Luckily spit it out with no sting. That would have sucked!!!! Buggers are everywhere. Looking forward to the cooler temps!!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007
    Potentially beyond sucky; there was a close call on the climb south from Happy Valley almost exactly two years ago where a rider got stung on the back of the throat in a similar incident. Fortunately another rider carrying benadryl passed by within seconds and the first responders were able to control the swelling enough to keep the airway open.

At the time, I happened to be taking out blown down hemlock a few hundred yards down the trail with a crew carrying multiple anaphylactic injectors. But didn't hear about it until weeks later. Had the airway closed we might have been able to get word and respond fast enough to prevent fatality or brain damage. Would have taken some luck and been a near run thing at best.
    Metolius-Windigo trail steward from Happy Valley to Todd Creek---PM me if you'd like to help maintain Metolius-Windigo!

mtbr member
    Scored 5 stings at Waldo on Tuesday. Talked to at least 10 other riders stung on the same section that day. I was stung once in the same section 2 1/2 weeks ago. Active nest right in the middle of he trail. Ride clockwise if you chose to ride this area, at least you will be on the downhill section and can ride through without getting stung. The uphill section is a walk for most going counter clockwise. Riders beware!

Dirtmistress
    3 stings on Mt. St. Helens yesterday. I never even saw the little bastards but holy hell it hurt! Now my ankle is swollen and itches soo bad! Decided against doing Waldo because of them.
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Crazy. We camped at Little Cultus and practically got chased out of there, but it sounds like it wasn't as bad as Waldo. Ended up without any stings while camping, then got stung at home on Sunday, building a skills feature. Arm swelled up like a fricking balloon. I have never had that happen before. Are the little bastards more potent this year, too?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I was walking barefoot in my backyard and stepped on one. Stung me right in the arch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The differences
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bend Trails - Wasps?-wasps.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ^That is awesome!!

Couple of years ago I got nailed by a pterodactyl or tarantula wasp or some damned thing down in Nevada on a chukar hunt. It scared the hell out of me because the damned thing was so big. Thing reminded me of a hummingbird, and flew up out of the blue, no provocation, and bit me in the neck. But really, it didn't end up being that big of a deal.

The little bastard that got me this past week, whether it was a wasp (yellow jacket) or hornet, I never saw, but had me miserable from Sunday afternoon through this morning.

Does the potency change, year to year, or during the season, or is it just another joy of getting older (like there aren't already enough crappy things about how our bodies change already), that stings bother you more?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CmbtDvr185 View Post
    The differences
    I am dying laughing right now!

That said, I don't see much difference between the wasp and hornet.

There are also mud wasps around. The long skinny one's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I leave for WALDO tonight... mmmmm. Yep, still going. Great picture CmbtDvr!!!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast