Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Bend Trails - Rigtht of Way Rant

I'm starting to think we need a huge sign at each of the THs explaining ROW. Riding up Phils to the HP I was passed by 5 groups for a total of 13 riders. Only 2 riders yielded ROW. Four of them were using the section of Phils between 300 and the chicken as a one way downhill run. Full wheel lockup into a big skid and they still would of hit me if I didn't move out of the way.

This behavior used to be confined to lower Phil's but I'm seeing it more often even as I climb out to the higher elevations.

Does COG explain ROW during the shuttle ride?

mtbr member
    It's a problem for sure. I rode with one of these individuals yesterday. I was embarrassed! I talked to him about etiquette after.

Some long time local's are used to Phil's canyon being more of a one way downhill run (this is what I heard from someone today). They won't run you over, but will instead pave a trail through the bushes to get around you at top speed.

Also... Strava...

I guess do you best to yell at people (you know - share the love), as they fly by but also realize that Trail etiquette for around here is not law. If someone doesn't want to abide by it they don't have to unfortunately.

A large sign about ROW at the top of phil's canyon would be a good thing in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Eh.. I have said it before I always yield up or down. Some people are just pricks. No sign is going to change that.

Most seem pretty good I have come down fast slowed and stopped for uphill riders who also stopped. Then its like you go no you go.. wish more were like that.

Edit: what is strava I keep seeing funny pics with that on it.

Yelling just agrivates their egos to not yeild even more.
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I've been seeing a lot of people doing some wonky things lately, like bushwhacking from Kent's to Ben's, or groups stopping with their bikes laid out completely blocking the trail. Many of them looked like noobs and/or tourists so I figure some of them just haven't had any exposure to trail etiquette. I try to be polite and informative when possible since I get the connection between happy tourists and the town's economic health, but sometimes you have to wonder where common courtesy went.

Edit: when you guys get to the chicken do you ride around it counterclockwise just as you would approach a paved roundabout?

mtbr member
    Just brush it off. If somone bothers you on a public trail that much...lol
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Phils? A DH shuttle run? Seriously? Commercial shuttle services that don't give a 15-second ROW talk are the devil's work, I say!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Seriously?
    Quite serious. Does CW explain the ROW rule instituted by COTA for the Bend area trails?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Quite serious. Does CW explain the ROW rule instituted by COTA for the Bend area trails?
    I doubt it since its not a rule.( far as i know)Its fellow humans being reasnonable with other humans which seems to be getting worse . I have never taken a cw bus so I dont know.
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

Xtreme Lounger
    Hang on, I thought the Massachusetts witch trials wrapped up in 1693. What year is it anyway?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
    I doubt it since its not a rule.( far as i know)
    The COTA message is clear and easy to understand.

****Welcome to Central Oregon! Here?s how we roll:

Descending Riders Stop For Others

We all love the downhill, but skidding out of control is not cool. Expect some uphill riders and be ready to move to one side of the trail, stopping until your line is clear.

Tread On Trail

Thanks for yielding to other riders but remember that riding off into the bushes widens and damages trails. Instead, put a foot down and feel good knowing that tread on the trail keeps singletrack narrow and fun.

Look, Listen, Smile

As trail users, we rely on one another. Have fun, and keep your eyes and ears open. Smile and say hello! You are in one of the best mountain bike areas in the nation.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Take a few minutes to read one of the COTA signs to confirm that the ROW is a COTA rule.
    I think what he's trying to convey is that COTA doesn't make law. They are not a governing agency over the national forest. Many people use the forest who have never heard of COTA, and if you don't yield to an uphill rider no one can penalize you in any legal way. It's merely recommended etiquette, kind of like their suggestion to "Look, Listen, Smile." If you fail to smile, no one will toss you in Phil's Jail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I think what he's trying to convey is that COTA doesn't make law. They are not a governing agency over the national forest. Many people use the forest who have never heard of COTA, and if you don't yield to an uphill rider no one can penalize you in any legal way. It's merely recommended etiquette, kind of like their suggestion to "Look, Listen, Smile." If you fail to smile, no one will toss you in Phil's Jail.
    Yea thats what I meant. That said it sucks when somone runs you off the trail...but its just a trail in the forest on a mountain bike...or whatever..there is risks involved in public 2 way trails.

Ps I cant wait for bachelor mtb to open...we need it bad!
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

mtbr member
    I wouldn't count on a COTA video being seen by most people, and wouldn't count on someone stopping and reading all 6 stickers on a new sign in the Phil's area. Only 1 out of every 3 signs will have the ROW sticker on it. And it's at the very bottom of all the stickers. It's about the size of a cigar.

Some people from out of town either don't have ROW standards, or they sometimes have the opposite.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I was under the impression that Vegans always have the ROW in Ore-e-gun, maaaan
    Or at least skunky microbrew swillers
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Some people from out of town either don't have ROW standards, or they sometimes have the opposite.
    Agreed. That is why I asked if CW informs their customers. I'd guess they interact with a large number of the bike tourists that visit the CO trail system. We need to get the message out before someone gets seriously injured. A few weeks back my daughter bailed into the manzanita to avoid being hit. The lack of common sense and courtesy is getting worse.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    if you don't yield to an uphill rider no one can penalize you in any legal way.
    Maybe.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Maybe.
    How?

Xtreme Lounger
    OK, I can't let this one go.

I think you're falling into the same witchhunt mentality that StreamRider is pursuing. You want to find a group of people that you don't belong to and vilify them. It's them ... they're the ones.

It's individual people who are making these decisions and it comes down to the individual.

I'll start by sharing that I'm not from Bend. I'll also admit that while I was in Bend for the month of August, I probably failed to properly yield ROW on a handful of occasions. Not many, but it did happen. It's not because I don't know what ROW is, or that I need someone to read the rules of trail etiquette to me, or that I don't care.

Sometimes you make a bad judgment about speed with regards to trail conditions. I know one guy (I'm guessing he was a local) who probably thinks I'm an @ss because he was coming up Tumalo Ridge trail in the wide double track area and I was coming down from Swede Ridge Shelter. I was consciously thinking about how fast I was going and that others might be climbing. This was actually the first time I ever descended TRT - I always climb it - so I know what it's like. Anyway, I'm slowing down at the sharper corners and then letting it go on the wide straight sections where you can see. I started to approach a very mild turn that I just couldn't quite see around to the next straight section and right at the worst possible moment a rider pops into view. I grabbed two handfuls of brakes and tried not to skid but I couldn't really steer the bike well and wound up right on the rider's line. I had to go off the trail to finish avoiding him and as I blew by him I yelled "Sorry about that, I was going too fast." He never acknowledged me so I don't know if he was pissed or not. He was certainly entitled to be.

Some trails (Upper whoops, Sector 16, and especially Tumalo Creek Trail) have VERY bad site lines. You get into some of those steeper sections that are loose powder and all twisty and turny and you're gonna clobber or skid around an uphill rider almost every time ... unless you want to crawl down the hill like an 80 year old. I really hate Tumalo Creek trail because I've had several close calls on that trail (mostly the other persons fault, but not always). The site lines on that trail are just terrible in certain spots.

I can almost guarantee you I've seen quite a few Bend riders blow the ROW on purpose. When I see a solo rider who is in team kit and very fit and knows where they're going, it's likely ... though still a guess ... that they're a local. Ditto with the solo cyclocross guys. I can only think of one time a solo CX guy yielded to me coming down a hill ... and I remember it well because I was shocked.

Here's another one - a solo, fit female rider headed toward town (again, I'm guessing local) got behind me on the section between Phil's parking lot and Cascade Lakes HWY. I asked if she wanted to pass and she said no. As I approached the rock ride section, I saw a solo female rider coming up through the S-turn. I yell out very loud, "rider up", and pulled to the side of the trail. The girl behind me proceeds to pass me and totally forced the uphill chick off the trail. Let me tell you, that uphill girl was not very happy. I mean, what was that following chick thinking? Just amazing. I saw her go as far as the flaming bird on Galveston so I'd put money on her being a townie.

I almost always yield for everyone. I can't tell you the number of times I yielded to downhill riders. Not because I was forced to, but because it made sense to do so.

Example - I was climbing M/W about 2 miles up from North Fork. I'm solo and heard a bunch of guys hooting and yelling so I knew they were coming my way. I found a nice spot that was barely big enough for two people at most and got off the trail. About 20 seconds later, 8 guys came down the hill and passed me. Almost all of them were smiling and thanked me for yielding. I found out later they were a group of Canadians that used the CW shuttle to Dutchmans. Now, I could have been a douche and insisted on the ROW and forced all 8 riders to skid, go off the trail, crash and who knows what else (this was at a really steep section with no place to go ) and make them watch me slowly huff and puff my way past all of them. Or I could use some common sense and be SAFE by letting them go by at a spot that was convenient and available for me. I knew they were coming - they did not know I was there.

That's just one example. I did that so many times - where I was going up a steep line with poor site lines - and heard downhill riders coming and sized up the situation and got the heck out of the way long before the downhill riders ever knew I was there. Sometimes you see them get scared and grab a handful of brakes and skid a big cloud and then they realize you're already off the trail and that if you weren't already off the trail they would have surely crashed into you. Hopefully that reminds them that there's uphill riders using the trails too.

And yelling isn't going to help either. There's just something so ironically funny about "Nice trail etiquette a-hole."

In summary, try to yield more than you take, apologize if you screw up, think about what's the safest thing to do rather than demanding ROW (cause it won't matter if you have ROW when you're riding in the ambulance). And you guys that are on your high horses about ROW had better not make any mistakes. Glass houses and all that. And let's drop the broad brush painting, shall we?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Wake me up when this thread is over

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post

I think you're falling into the same witchhunt mentality that StreamRider is pursuing. You want to find a group of people that you don't belong to and vilify them. It's them ... they're the ones.
    I don't recall saying anything that was vilifying anyone. Kind of the opposite actually.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nice attempt at justifying poor trail etiquette.

Xtreme Lounger
    I don't recall saying anything that was vilifying anyone. Kind of the opposite actually.
    OK, I re-read your post and maybe you were just trying to make the observation that some areas might have different/reversed rules than Bend's ROW. Am I getting that right?

Xtreme Lounger
    Nice attempt at justifying poor trail etiquette.
    Where did I justify poor trail etiquette? Please quote it and we can discuss.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Some trails (Upper whoops, Sector 16, and especially Tumalo Creek Trail) have VERY bad site lines. You get into some of those steeper sections that are loose powder and all twisty and turny and you're gonna clobber or skid around an uphill rider almost every time ... unless you want to crawl down the hill like an 80 year old.
    Justification for poor trail etiquette quoted. If you don't have the skills to yield to an uphill rider at the speed you are traveling then slow down. Simple.

mtbr member
    OK, I re-read your post and maybe you were just trying to make the observation that some areas might have different/reversed rules than Bend's ROW. Am I getting that right?
    Right.

But also I was saying there is a slim chance anyone is going to read about our local ROW etiquette. The posted notices are tiny.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast