Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 254
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708

    Bend Trails - Rigtht of Way Rant

    I'm starting to think we need a huge sign at each of the THs explaining ROW. Riding up Phils to the HP I was passed by 5 groups for a total of 13 riders. Only 2 riders yielded ROW. Four of them were using the section of Phils between 300 and the chicken as a one way downhill run. Full wheel lockup into a big skid and they still would of hit me if I didn't move out of the way.

    This behavior used to be confined to lower Phil's but I'm seeing it more often even as I climb out to the higher elevations.

    Does COG explain ROW during the shuttle ride?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sketchbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    634
    It's a problem for sure. I rode with one of these individuals yesterday. I was embarrassed! I talked to him about etiquette after.

    Some long time local's are used to Phil's canyon being more of a one way downhill run (this is what I heard from someone today). They won't run you over, but will instead pave a trail through the bushes to get around you at top speed.

    Also... Strava...

    I guess do you best to yell at people (you know - share the love), as they fly by but also realize that Trail etiquette for around here is not law. If someone doesn't want to abide by it they don't have to unfortunately.

    A large sign about ROW at the top of phil's canyon would be a good thing in my opinion.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KTMDirtFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    775
    Eh.. I have said it before I always yield up or down. Some people are just pricks. No sign is going to change that.

    Most seem pretty good I have come down fast slowed and stopped for uphill riders who also stopped. Then its like you go no you go.. wish more were like that.



    Edit: what is strava I keep seeing funny pics with that on it.

    Yelling just agrivates their egos to not yeild even more.
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4

  4. #4
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,039
    I've been seeing a lot of people doing some wonky things lately, like bushwhacking from Kent's to Ben's, or groups stopping with their bikes laid out completely blocking the trail. Many of them looked like noobs and/or tourists so I figure some of them just haven't had any exposure to trail etiquette. I try to be polite and informative when possible since I get the connection between happy tourists and the town's economic health, but sometimes you have to wonder where common courtesy went.

    Edit: when you guys get to the chicken do you ride around it counterclockwise just as you would approach a paved roundabout?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KTMDirtFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    775
    Just brush it off. If somone bothers you on a public trail that much...lol
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,955
    Phils? A DH shuttle run? Seriously? Commercial shuttle services that don't give a 15-second ROW talk are the devil's work, I say!
    Whining is not a strategy.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Seriously?
    Quite serious. Does CW explain the ROW rule instituted by COTA for the Bend area trails?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KTMDirtFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Quite serious. Does CW explain the ROW rule instituted by COTA for the Bend area trails?
    I doubt it since its not a rule.( far as i know)Its fellow humans being reasnonable with other humans which seems to be getting worse . I have never taken a cw bus so I dont know.
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,149
    Hang on, I thought the Massachusetts witch trials wrapped up in 1693. What year is it anyway?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
    I doubt it since its not a rule.( far as i know)
    The COTA message is clear and easy to understand.

    ****Welcome to Central Oregon! Here?s how we roll:

    Descending Riders Stop For Others

    We all love the downhill, but skidding out of control is not cool. Expect some uphill riders and be ready to move to one side of the trail, stopping until your line is clear.

    Tread On Trail

    Thanks for yielding to other riders – but remember that riding off into the bushes widens and damages trails. Instead, put a foot down and feel good knowing that tread on the trail keeps singletrack narrow and fun.

    Look, Listen, Smile

    As trail users, we rely on one another. Have fun, and keep your eyes and ears open. Smile and say hello! You are in one of the best mountain bike areas in the nation.

  11. #11
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,039
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Take a few minutes to read one of the COTA signs to confirm that the ROW is a COTA rule.
    I think what he's trying to convey is that COTA doesn't make law. They are not a governing agency over the national forest. Many people use the forest who have never heard of COTA, and if you don't yield to an uphill rider no one can penalize you in any legal way. It's merely recommended etiquette, kind of like their suggestion to "Look, Listen, Smile." If you fail to smile, no one will toss you in Phil's Jail.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KTMDirtFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I think what he's trying to convey is that COTA doesn't make law. They are not a governing agency over the national forest. Many people use the forest who have never heard of COTA, and if you don't yield to an uphill rider no one can penalize you in any legal way. It's merely recommended etiquette, kind of like their suggestion to "Look, Listen, Smile." If you fail to smile, no one will toss you in Phil's Jail.
    Yea thats what I meant. That said it sucks when somone runs you off the trail...but its just a trail in the forest on a mountain bike...or whatever..there is risks involved in public 2 way trails.

    Ps I cant wait for bachelor mtb to open...we need it bad!
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sketchbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    634
    I wouldn't count on a COTA video being seen by most people, and wouldn't count on someone stopping and reading all 6 stickers on a new sign in the Phil's area. Only 1 out of every 3 signs will have the ROW sticker on it. And it's at the very bottom of all the stickers. It's about the size of a cigar.

    Some people from out of town either don't have ROW standards, or they sometimes have the opposite.

  14. #14
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,063
    I was under the impression that Vegans always have the ROW in Ore-e-gun, maaaan
    Or at least skunky microbrew swillers
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Some people from out of town either don't have ROW standards, or they sometimes have the opposite.
    Agreed. That is why I asked if CW informs their customers. I'd guess they interact with a large number of the bike tourists that visit the CO trail system. We need to get the message out before someone gets seriously injured. A few weeks back my daughter bailed into the manzanita to avoid being hit. The lack of common sense and courtesy is getting worse.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    if you don't yield to an uphill rider no one can penalize you in any legal way.
    Maybe.

  17. #17
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,039
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Maybe.
    How?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Some people from out of town either don't have ROW standards, or they sometimes have the opposite.
    OK, I can't let this one go.

    I think you're falling into the same witchhunt mentality that StreamRider is pursuing. You want to find a group of people that you don't belong to and vilify them. It's them ... they're the ones.

    It's individual people who are making these decisions and it comes down to the individual.

    I'll start by sharing that I'm not from Bend. I'll also admit that while I was in Bend for the month of August, I probably failed to properly yield ROW on a handful of occasions. Not many, but it did happen. It's not because I don't know what ROW is, or that I need someone to read the rules of trail etiquette to me, or that I don't care.

    Sometimes you make a bad judgment about speed with regards to trail conditions. I know one guy (I'm guessing he was a local) who probably thinks I'm an @ss because he was coming up Tumalo Ridge trail in the wide double track area and I was coming down from Swede Ridge Shelter. I was consciously thinking about how fast I was going and that others might be climbing. This was actually the first time I ever descended TRT - I always climb it - so I know what it's like. Anyway, I'm slowing down at the sharper corners and then letting it go on the wide straight sections where you can see. I started to approach a very mild turn that I just couldn't quite see around to the next straight section and right at the worst possible moment a rider pops into view. I grabbed two handfuls of brakes and tried not to skid but I couldn't really steer the bike well and wound up right on the rider's line. I had to go off the trail to finish avoiding him and as I blew by him I yelled "Sorry about that, I was going too fast." He never acknowledged me so I don't know if he was pissed or not. He was certainly entitled to be.

    Some trails (Upper whoops, Sector 16, and especially Tumalo Creek Trail) have VERY bad site lines. You get into some of those steeper sections that are loose powder and all twisty and turny and you're gonna clobber or skid around an uphill rider almost every time ... unless you want to crawl down the hill like an 80 year old. I really hate Tumalo Creek trail because I've had several close calls on that trail (mostly the other persons fault, but not always). The site lines on that trail are just terrible in certain spots.

    I can almost guarantee you I've seen quite a few Bend riders blow the ROW on purpose. When I see a solo rider who is in team kit and very fit and knows where they're going, it's likely ... though still a guess ... that they're a local. Ditto with the solo cyclocross guys. I can only think of one time a solo CX guy yielded to me coming down a hill ... and I remember it well because I was shocked.

    Here's another one - a solo, fit female rider headed toward town (again, I'm guessing local) got behind me on the section between Phil's parking lot and Cascade Lakes HWY. I asked if she wanted to pass and she said no. As I approached the rock ride section, I saw a solo female rider coming up through the S-turn. I yell out very loud, "rider up", and pulled to the side of the trail. The girl behind me proceeds to pass me and totally forced the uphill chick off the trail. Let me tell you, that uphill girl was not very happy. I mean, what was that following chick thinking? Just amazing. I saw her go as far as the flaming bird on Galveston so I'd put money on her being a townie.

    I almost always yield for everyone. I can't tell you the number of times I yielded to downhill riders. Not because I was forced to, but because it made sense to do so.

    Example - I was climbing M/W about 2 miles up from North Fork. I'm solo and heard a bunch of guys hooting and yelling so I knew they were coming my way. I found a nice spot that was barely big enough for two people at most and got off the trail. About 20 seconds later, 8 guys came down the hill and passed me. Almost all of them were smiling and thanked me for yielding. I found out later they were a group of Canadians that used the CW shuttle to Dutchmans. Now, I could have been a douche and insisted on the ROW and forced all 8 riders to skid, go off the trail, crash and who knows what else (this was at a really steep section with no place to go ) and make them watch me slowly huff and puff my way past all of them. Or I could use some common sense and be SAFE by letting them go by at a spot that was convenient and available for me. I knew they were coming - they did not know I was there.

    That's just one example. I did that so many times - where I was going up a steep line with poor site lines - and heard downhill riders coming and sized up the situation and got the heck out of the way long before the downhill riders ever knew I was there. Sometimes you see them get scared and grab a handful of brakes and skid a big cloud and then they realize you're already off the trail and that if you weren't already off the trail they would have surely crashed into you. Hopefully that reminds them that there's uphill riders using the trails too.

    And yelling isn't going to help either. There's just something so ironically funny about "Nice trail etiquette a-hole."

    In summary, try to yield more than you take, apologize if you screw up, think about what's the safest thing to do rather than demanding ROW (cause it won't matter if you have ROW when you're riding in the ambulance). And you guys that are on your high horses about ROW had better not make any mistakes. Glass houses and all that. And let's drop the broad brush painting, shall we?

  19. #19
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,742
    Wake me up when this thread is over

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sketchbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    OK, I can't let this one go.

    I think you're falling into the same witchhunt mentality that StreamRider is pursuing. You want to find a group of people that you don't belong to and vilify them. It's them ... they're the ones.
    I don't recall saying anything that was vilifying anyone. Kind of the opposite actually.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    OK, I can't let this one go.
    Nice attempt at justifying poor trail etiquette.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    I don't recall saying anything that was vilifying anyone. Kind of the opposite actually.
    OK, I re-read your post and maybe you were just trying to make the observation that some areas might have different/reversed rules than Bend's ROW. Am I getting that right?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Nice attempt at justifying poor trail etiquette.
    Where did I justify poor trail etiquette? Please quote it and we can discuss.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    Some trails (Upper whoops, Sector 16, and especially Tumalo Creek Trail) have VERY bad site lines. You get into some of those steeper sections that are loose powder and all twisty and turny and you're gonna clobber or skid around an uphill rider almost every time ... unless you want to crawl down the hill like an 80 year old.
    Justification for poor trail etiquette quoted. If you don't have the skills to yield to an uphill rider at the speed you are traveling then slow down. Simple.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sketchbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    OK, I re-read your post and maybe you were just trying to make the observation that some areas might have different/reversed rules than Bend's ROW. Am I getting that right?
    Right.

    But also I was saying there is a slim chance anyone is going to read about our local ROW etiquette. The posted notices are tiny.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Right.

    But also I was saying there is a slim chance anyone is going to read about our local ROW etiquette. The posted notices are tiny.
    Agreed. I didn't realize you were the same person who said that. To be honest, I didn't realize those sticks had ROW on them. They are busy liitle buggers - but I do like them. I noticed them on SK this year but don't remember seeing them last year - maybe I'm wrong. They seem to be on everything in Wanoga.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sketchbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    634
    correct, COTA has Wanoga all signed.

    Phil's area is being signed currently as volunteers find the time.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Justification for poor trail etiquette quoted. If you don't have the skills to yield to an uphill rider at the speed you are traveling then slow down. Simple.
    I agree that you need to ride at a speed that is safe for trail conditions - specifically because you will encounter other riders and need to be able to yield to them. I hope that was the essence of my message as a whole.

    I re-read my post and see what you mean with what I wrote. Point taken. What I meant to do was make an observation on the difficulty of trying to follow ROW in certain situations - not condone or excuse the absence of ROW. What I was trying to convey was the idea that on those particular trails/conditions, you need to slow WAY down or you're likely to clobber someone. Not that clobbering someone is sometimes OK and hard to avoid so you might as well just go ahead and let them have it. The phrase "like an 80 year old" was obviously an exaggeration on how slow you need to go. But you really have to go slow (what seems like crawling) especially coming down Upper Whoops if you want to be able to safely pass people and not skid the place up (which I hate) or pave a new path going around people (which I hate also). I know several times I THOUGHT I was going slow enough but then you go through a corkscrew turn and HELLO! you're staring right at someone's front tire.

    It's tough to do, but that's the goal I'm aiming for. Sometimes I fail. I admit it. But I'm aiming to follow ROW at all times.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Phil's area is being signed currently as volunteers find the time.
    That's awesome. I can't tell you how many times people have asked me for directions and I tell them and then they ask, "Is there a sign that tells me when I'm on trail X" and then I have to tell them no. I always hate telling people how to get to the top of Lower Whoops because that 5-way intersection is a bit of a cluster-bang. Sending people through the 5-way flaming chicken intersection is another tricky one too for the newbies.

    That's great to hear. Bravo!

    [EDIT] Ahh, my memory has just informed me that they were also on Marvin's and KGB as well. Good stuff!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tbmaddux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,248
    I did a guided ride with Cog Wild a week ago, and the guide (Greg) did explain (or remind) right of way to us a few times while we were out on the trails. I remember it specifically as we headed in to the Tumalo Creek section and again when we started out coming down Phil's. I don't remember it being mentioned in the van.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gorgedon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    233
    For some reason the scene from Breaking Away where the Italian team rider sticks his pump in Dave's front wheel keeps coming to mind. Not that I'm advocating that kind of tactic, just offering a nice mental picture to help cope with the boorish behavior occasionally seen on most trails.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cog Wild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    755
    Does Cog Wild share the ROW rule instituted by COTA for the Bend area trails?

    For day and multi-day tours, the answer is yes. All our guides are trained to talk about safety on the trail which includes riding within your means and how to stop without skidding. We also go over the COTA Trail Etiquette campaign of Trail Love and the three main points which does include Downhill rider stops for all others. Every tour starts with a pow-wow that goes over these important details.

    For shuttle guests, it is a little harder. Once we arrive at the trail head, the driver is also the bike unloader from our roof rack. We loose all attention of the shuttle guests as soon as they get their bikes and we have found it hard to share this detail. Trust me, we have tried! But please also know, the 4-25 guests we shuttle per day are a tiny amount of the riders out on the trail.

    Please note that Melanie, co-owner of Cog Wild was part of the Trail Etiquette committee that came up with the Trail Love campaign. Lev, the other co-owner, is who made COTA's Trail Love video. We have posted info on our Facebook page and include Trail Love details in our emails we send locals. We find this issue very important and do everything we can to help keep the trails a positive place.

    The best thing everyone can do is to make a point of sharing the Trail Love details to your friends. Post this link on your Facebook page: ****Welcome to Central Oregon! Here?s how we roll:. Tell your friends before you start each ride and when you know friends are going riding. It is going to take some time, but the word will spread as the COTA sign committee continues to put up new signs through the trail network and more education is done.

    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by Cog Wild View Post
    For day and multi-day tours, the answer is yes.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tbmaddux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Cog Wild View Post
    Every tour starts with a pow-wow that goes over these important details.
    Yes, I remember this in the parking lot at the start of the ride as well, now that you mention it.

  35. #35
    Good, green, Oregon.
    Reputation: Giant Chachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    789
    My weekend in Bend on Labor Day weekend had my buddy and I completely confused at ROW. Sure, we know to always give ROW to the uphill traffic, and did so on every occasion. At the same time, nobody seemed to give us ROW when we were climbing. I felt like I was playing a game of chicken every time, and out of being courteous, I yielded every time, even when I really shouldn't have. I just wanted to avoid conflict as we are "tourists", I guess, with us being from the valley visiting your trails.

    Our conclusion was that it was "just how it is" over there. I didn't take the time to get too butt-hurt over it, as I was too busy enjoying the ride and the trails themselves.
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgedon View Post
    . . . . the boorish behavior occasionally seen on most trails.
    Wrong time to discuss cyclists riding singletrack with unleashed dogs?

    Kidding -- let's let that one go.

  37. #37
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    Wrong time to discuss cyclists riding singletrack with unleashed dogs?

    Kidding -- let's let that one go.
    We covered that earlier this season, I believe. Still an issue, but why beat it to death....
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    We covered that earlier this season, I believe. Still an issue, but why beat it to death....
    Um, that was my point. Reminds me never to try humor on a message board, though.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,955
    Sounds like Cog Wild is doing their bit. Nothing is ever perfect, but they are giving it the old post-graduate try.

    I like my handlebar bell at blind corners. Eight bucks at REI. Big help (but again, nothing's perfect).
    Whining is not a strategy.

  40. #40
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    Um, that was my point. Reminds me never to try humor on a message board, though.
    So true!! I certainly want to stay away from the K9 subject....... Both in this forum and on the trail.
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    308
    It's always at the worst possible moment isn't it>

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    COTA Rules posted at Phil's TH. Large type that is easy to read. If this was printed on attention grabbing brightly colored fluorescent paper and posted at each TH many more riders would be educated on the ROW.

    Bend Trails - Rigtht of Way Rant-cota-rules.jpg

  43. #43
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,039
    Putting up signage is one thing but getting people to follow the recommendations is another task altogether. I think most people believe that the rules don't apply to them.

    Good on Cog Wild for informing their customers, but I don't think anyone should be pointing their fingers at them. Like they said, the number of people that they shuttle up the mountains is a fraction of those who go out there on any given day. Cog Wild should not be made some kind of scapegoat.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    COTA Rules posted at Phil's TH. Large type that is easy to read. If this was printed on attention grabbing brightly colored fluorescent paper and posted at each TH many more riders would be educated on the ROW.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COTA-Rules.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	830929
    While the full list is nice, the fact that it is a long list makes it more likely to be ignored. Large, very simple signs saying something like "Downhill Traffic Must Yield to Uphill Traffic = Good Juju" should also be employed, as that one rule kind of implies all the rest, anyway. THEN, you can have the more complete lists.

  45. #45
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,039
    Quote Originally Posted by GauchoGreg View Post
    While the full list is nice, the fact that it is a long list makes it more likely to be ignored. Large, very simple signs saying something like "Downhill Traffic Must Yield to Uphill Traffic = Good Juju" should also be employed, as that one rule kind of implies all the rest, anyway. THEN, you can have the more complete lists.
    True. Too much text makes people not read.

    A simple "Descending riders stop for others" sign without any other text would be the most effective way to communicate the idea.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    True. Too much text makes people not read.
    Few words that travel with you. Reversible jersey.

    Downhill side -

    Bend Trails - Rigtht of Way Rant-dh.jpg

    Climbing side with fall design -

    Bend Trails - Rigtht of Way Rant-up.jpg

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    18
    I have to put my $.02 in here. Seems like COG is getting a bit hammered in this thread, unfairly. What about the Spandex Jockeys on the MBSEF "team"? I was making a few runs down Lower Whoops (a downhill specific trail) and a few riders were riding UPHILL. I had to bail out and came close to absolutely crushing them. I stopped at the bottom and discussed what happened with the groups "leader" and he just laughed it off and saying they were all taking photos on a few of the jumps. I was also told that I needed to chill out and watch my speed so it wouldn't happen again.
    Just say NO, to climbing!

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by GratefulMTB View Post
    I was making a few runs down Lower Whoops (a downhill specific trail) and a few riders were riding UPHILL. I had to bail out and came close to absolutely crushing them. I stopped at the bottom and discussed what happened with the groups "leader" and he just laughed it off and saying they were all taking photos on a few of the jumps. I was also told that I needed to chill out and watch my speed so it wouldn't happen again.
    Very lucky that you noticed them in time to bail without having a horrific accident. There are many riders that rip down Whoops at speeds that would be deadly if they had a head-on collision with a rider going UP!

    The MBSEF website lists Seth Gehman as the head cycling coach. IMO you should send him an email describing this incident. Whoops is designated DH only for a reason SAFETY and MBSEF makes a point of having their coaches and athletes act in a courteous and safe manner.

    sethwgehman@gmail.com

    And CC

    John Schiemer, Executive Director

    john@mbsef.org

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sketchbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by GratefulMTB View Post
    I have to put my $.02 in here. Seems like COG is getting a bit hammered in this thread, unfairly. What about the Spandex Jockeys on the MBSEF "team"? I was making a few runs down Lower Whoops (a downhill specific trail) and a few riders were riding UPHILL. I had to bail out and came close to absolutely crushing them. I stopped at the bottom and discussed what happened with the groups "leader" and he just laughed it off and saying they were all taking photos on a few of the jumps. I was also told that I needed to chill out and watch my speed so it wouldn't happen again.
    Ridiculous. "leader" sounds like an ass.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    I climbed up South Fork and Flagline last week, and I was so freaking alert, trying to get out of the way as SOON as I heard anyone descending. Fine, I had the right of way, but I would rather do the safe thing and just be out of the way before anyone see's me. I was even afraid to coast, because I thought someone would sneak up on my when the freewheel was clicking. If you are climbing up something steep, chances are someone will be coming down fast, and in my opinion, you can't just be lazy rocking out with your ear buds because you "have the right of way" climbing. Gotta use common sense too.... Oh and yes common sense says I shouldn't have been climbing South fork and Flagline then, but thats why I was bein extra steath.
    Bend, Oregon

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by GratefulMTB View Post
    I was making a few runs down Lower Whoops (a downhill specific trail) and a few riders were riding UPHILL. I had to bail out and came close to absolutely crushing them.
    I don't really see a problem if people want to walk up Whoops, off to the side of the trail, to take pictures or something, or even walk the bike back up on the side of the trail, to re-ride a section, but if the MBSEF lead that day was letting people/kids RIDE UP THE TRAIL BACKWARDS, that is idiotic.
    Bend, Oregon

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    I don't really see a problem if people want to walk up Whoops, off to the side of the trail, to take pictures or something, or even walk the bike back up on the side of the trail, to re-ride a section, but if the MBSEF lead that day was letting people/kids RIDE UP THE TRAIL BACKWARDS, that is idiotic.
    I'm with you, doing a quick session on some of those jumps is a good idea!

    I think we all need to be a little more respectful of each other and pay attention to what's going on in our surrounding. There are always going to be meatheads, nothing we can do about that. We just need to all be stewards of the trails and if the situation deems it, teach the offender with a smile. We are out riding bikes! Learn to relax and enjoy what we have. Not every ride needs to be about beating someone else's Strava time.
    Just say NO, to climbing!

  53. #53
    Good, green, Oregon.
    Reputation: Giant Chachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    789
    This thread needs this......

    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QR8ddNOz5eg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    I actually heard the phrase "Rider Up!" in my weekend on the Bend trails, and I have never heard it prior to.
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

  54. #54
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,039
    Too bad there's not some universal hand signal to let people know how many riders are behind you. I usually say something along the lines of, "one back" or "three back" but lately when I do that the oncoming rider returns a puzzled look on his or her face.

  55. #55
    let's ride
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    39
    Show some trail love, bros...
    live to ride, ride to party.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GhostRing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I usually say something along the lines of, "one back" or "three back" but lately when I do that the oncoming rider returns a puzzled look on his or her face.
    I usually say' "Just me." or "one (two, etc.) more." They seem to understand fast enough. Followed by, "Have fun!"
    Time wounds all heels...

  57. #57
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,039
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostRing View Post
    I usually say' "Just me." or "one (two, etc.) more." They
    seem to understand fast enough. Followed by, "Have fun!"
    I've also been saying "I'm solo" but figured that maybe it sounds like "Han Solo" so I've been saying "Han Solo" to see what happens.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KTMDirtFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    775
    Try riding china hat moto trail system on a dirt bike.... the mtb trails have got it easy.
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by GratefulMTB View Post
    What about the Spandex Jockeys on the MBSEF "team"? I was making a few runs down Lower Whoops (a downhill specific trail) and a few riders were riding UPHILL. I had to bail out and came close to absolutely crushing them. I stopped at the bottom and discussed what happened with the groups "leader" and he just laughed it off and saying they were all taking photos on a few of the jumps. I was also told that I needed to chill out and watch my speed so it wouldn't happen again.
    What was the age range of the riders?

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    18
    I would say no older than 16 no younger than 12.
    Just say NO, to climbing!

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    306
    I have started yelling rider when I see somebody... cannot stress out about this or it would just be a waste of riding time.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    113
    Anybody who truly witnessed this bother to contact the MBSEF team organizers and discuss this potentially dangerous and discourteous behavior of their group which was apparently in violation of posted rules and common/local practice? Or, is this just an internet rant that will do nothing to improve or correct the behavior so the group thinks they can do the same thing again the next time they are out.

    C'mon, whoever saw it, give MBSEF a call.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Or send an email to the contact info linked earlier. Safety is a serious issue with MBSEF activities so they will want to know about this incident. It could be deadly if a 230lb rider bombing down Whoops at 25+ MPH had a head on collision with a 12 yo. The kids need to be taught that they should never ride up a one way DH only trail.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Phils was packed today and with the crush of riders came the inconsiderate behavior. Rudeness when I asked politely to pass. DH riders refusing to budge. Even had a rider toss an F bomb as she rode by. I don't get it.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    219
    She?

  66. #66
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,744
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Phils was packed today and with the crush of riders came the inconsiderate behavior. Rudeness when I asked politely to pass. DH riders refusing to budge. Even had a rider toss an F bomb as she rode by. I don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by walangkatapat View Post
    She?
    Antonin Scalia would be outraged!

  67. #67
    insert sarcasm here
    Reputation: gbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I've also been saying "I'm solo" but figured that maybe it sounds like "Han Solo" so I've been saying "Han Solo" to see what happens.
    ^^^
    That is funny.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Antonin Scalia would be outraged!
    Ruth Bader Ginsburg tossing the F bomb I'd be outraged too.

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    308
    This is an interesting anomaly for the Oregon forum. These conflict threads usually flare up and quickly die off unless there's a definite anus seeking jail time. This thread reminds me of where I moved from long ago with lots of similar conflicts. Having seen what happens when conflicts are allowed to escalate, we really need to get this handled now. The only time I ever heard the words "rider up" in Oregon were during XC races as needed to allow safe passing.

    Assuming Bend's adopted a huge percentage of transplants due to recent population growth, I'm wondering what can be done to nip this in the bud before it spreads through the rest of Oregon? I think the bike park will help but that's seasonal.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    219
    Keep getting the word out.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: economatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalitup View Post
    Assuming Bend's adopted a huge percentage of transplants due to recent population growth, I'm wondering what can be done to nip this in the bud before it spreads through the rest of Oregon? I think the bike park will help but that's seasonal.
    Maybe the local bike shops can help with spreading the word? Even a simple mention of the trail etiquette might help when renting a bike or any obvious sales to out-of-towners.

    I make this suggestion because a couple weeks ago I was riding down Phil's and a couple guys came up on me really fast, as in out of nowhere some dude was 6 inches off my back wheel without saying a word he was behind me. I let them pass only to see them almost mow down a couple riding uphill about a half mile later. I suspect they were on rentals as they both had bright neon green helmets, dressed in casual clothing, and were fast on the downhill but really slow uphill. Maybe I'm wrong but that behavior seemed very un-Bend to me.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    Maybe the local bike shops can help with spreading the word? Even a simple mention of the trail etiquette might help when renting a bike or any obvious sales to out-of-towners.

    I make this suggestion because a couple weeks ago I was riding down Phil's and a couple guys came up on me really fast, as in out of nowhere some dude was 6 inches off my back wheel without saying a word he was behind me. I let them pass only to see them almost mow down a couple riding uphill about a half mile later. I suspect they were on rentals as they both had bright neon green helmets, dressed in casual clothing, and were fast on the downhill but really slow uphill. Maybe I'm wrong but that behavior seemed very un-Bend to me.
    I met two d-baggers in bright green helmets screaming out "RIDER UP!" and riding in that style down Phil's Canyon just the other day. Lot's of folks on the trails so I'm sure they made a few more friends on their way to the TH. I don't think they were on rentals though.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: economatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Harshmellow View Post
    I met two d-baggers in bright green helmets screaming out "RIDER UP!" and riding in that style down Phil's Canyon just the other day. Lot's of folks on the trails so I'm sure they made a few more friends on their way to the TH. I don't think they were on rentals though.
    I was guessing rentals largely based on the matching bright green helmets. It seems like a color choice a bike shop would make for safety.

  74. #74
    zep
    zep is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Too bad there's not some universal hand signal to let people know how many riders are behind you. I usually say something along the lines of, "one back" or "three back" but lately when I do that the oncoming rider returns a puzzled look on his or her face.
    Such a signal existed--maybe exists still--in Dirt Bike riding (I mean Motos). Riders would use their left hand (since the right was on the throttle, yes?), when passing an opposing Moto-rider; a fist = 'nobody behind me', a thumb held up would mean '1 rider behind', forefinger & middle finger = '2 riders behind'...etc. Last year, when riding at Browns Camp, I was surprised to see a Moto-rider give me the signal for 'no riders'. Or, he could have been telling me to get stuffed....
    Get some miles in--we've got weather coming.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,955
    Quote Originally Posted by zep View Post
    Such a signal existed--maybe exists still--in Dirt Bike riding (I mean Motos). Riders would use their left hand (since the right was on the throttle, yes?), when passing an opposing Moto-rider; a fist = 'nobody behind me', a thumb held up would mean '1 rider behind', forefinger & middle finger = '2 riders behind'...etc. Last year, when riding at Browns Camp, I was surprised to see a Moto-rider give me the signal for 'no riders'. Or, he could have been telling me to get stuffed....
    Yup, that system has been around forever. Works so well..............
    Whining is not a strategy.

  76. #76
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,039
    Quote Originally Posted by zep View Post
    Such a signal existed--maybe exists still--in Dirt Bike riding (I mean Motos). Riders would use their left hand (since the right was on the throttle, yes?), when passing an opposing Moto-rider; a fist = 'nobody behind me', a thumb held up would mean '1 rider behind', forefinger & middle finger = '2 riders behind'...etc. Last year, when riding at Browns Camp, I was surprised to see a Moto-rider give me the signal for 'no riders'. Or, he could have been telling me to get stuffed....
    That would seem to get the point across. I'm going to start doing it.

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    25
    Yawn....I don't get why people get so worked up about this stupid topic. I totally agree that DHer's need to yield and I always do, but don't tell me to slow down or I will tell you where to stick it. It is possible to ride fast and be in control, no need to be pissy. You can hear people coming from a mile away, take out your earphones and be aware of your surroundings. Bottom line is people just need to chill the F out about ROW. Also, quit riding up phil's canyon, it's stupid. AND if you want seclusion, quit riding at phils, there are only like 500 options.

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by kwdog View Post
    Also, quit riding up phil's canyon, it's stupid.
    Why?

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    25
    Because there are lots of blind corners and in the steeper sections it is hard to see that someone is coming up the trail.

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Which is why people need to slow down when they know the other rider has the ROW.

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Which is why people need to slow down when they know the other rider has the ROW.
    Riding slow is BO-RING!
    Bend, Oregon

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Ride fast when you can see oncoming traffic or don't need to worry about it.

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    BOOOOOOOOOooooorrrrrrringggggggg. haha!
    Bend, Oregon

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    25
    Yeah, I'll make sure to do that.

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    302
    Yeah, nothing more fun than runing over and injuring a kid because you were riding out of control.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    riding at a fast pace, and riding out of control, can have very different meanings, at different skill levels.
    Bend, Oregon

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    riding at a fast pace, and riding out of control, can have very different meanings, at different skill levels.
    I agree but in this context kw is saying riders should not ride up Phils because fast DH riders cannot see them coming. The problem is that Phils is a two way trail and the ROW goes to the uphill rider.

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by kwdog View Post
    Because there are lots of blind corners and in the steeper sections it is hard to see that someone is coming up the trail.
    Hmm, I was not aware that dirt with such characteristics shouldn't be ridden UH. What I am certain of is that DH riders should be dialing it way down on such dirt to mitigate plowing into UH riders and in order to respect their ROW. I love to ride balls to the wall on the DH, but high use areas, similar to Phils, just don't accommodate that time of riding IMHO.

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    I agree but in this context kw is saying riders should not ride up Phils because fast DH riders cannot see them coming. The problem is that Phils is a two way trail and the ROW goes to the uphill rider.
    I think the implication is that especially for locals, knowing it's a fast descending section with many alternate routes around it, common sense says climbing the canyon puts you in harms way, possibly. I personally don't climb it often at all.

    A pedestrian can play in the street, but just because the "rules" say you have the ROW, does not mean it's always the best decision.
    Bend, Oregon

  90. #90
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,039
    There are blind corners in Phil's canyon? I think the lines of sight are pretty good.

    Anyway, I like climbing up it (and going down it). I don't think I'll stop doing so just to suit you headbangers.

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    33
    The fact that it's a high-traffic, bi-directional trail implies there's good chance you'll meet someone coming up. I think speed is fine as long as it's with good judgment and not everyone possesses that attribute. I think that's the problem here.

    Considering debates like this, increasing traffic, and the fact that the Phil's complex trails are widening I wouldn't be surprised to see implementation of more one-way trails in the area.

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    There are blind corners in Phil's canyon? I think the lines of sight are pretty good.

    Anyway, I like climbing up it (and going down it). I don't think I'll stop doing so just to suit you headbangers.
    I'll keep climbing it too. I'll also keep climbing Funner, South Fork, Tiddlywinks, Tylers, and the other fast-down trails...... Thing is, I am always looking to get out of the way of the people I KNOW will be coming down the trial fast, even though "I" have the right of way. Common sense tells me that getting out of harms way is the smart option.
    Bend, Oregon

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    I think the implication is that especially for locals, knowing it's a fast descending section with many alternate routes around it, common sense says climbing the canyon puts you in harms way, possibly. I personally don't climb it often at all.

    A pedestrian can play in the street, but just because the "rules" say you have the ROW, does not mean it's always the best decision.
    I also don't climb canyon area of Phils all that often and when I do I am very careful to spot DH riders before they are right in front of me. But the issue here is that there are a lot of non-locals that ride Phils, and they may not have a clue that they may encounter very fast oncoming traffic.

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by SpryIP View Post
    I also don't climb canyon area of Phils all that often and when I do I am very careful to spot DH riders before they are right in front of me. But the issue here is that there are a lot of non-locals that ride Phils, and they may not have a clue that they may encounter very fast oncoming traffic.
    Absolutely.... I'm just saying that if locals know a section of trail is fast, paying attention and moving first, even though we have the "right of way", is smart I think.

    Oh trust me though, there are times I want to make myself into a brick-wall, right in the middle of the trail, for the real jerks. Kidding..... kinda.....
    Bend, Oregon

  95. #95
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,039
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    I'll keep climbing it too. I'll also keep climbing Funner, South Fork, Tiddlywinks, Tylers, and the other fast-down trails...... Thing is, I am always looking to get out of the way of the people I KNOW will be coming down the trial fast, even though "I" have the right of way. Common sense tells me that getting out of harms way is the smart option.
    Same here. Common sense also tells me to not go too fast in crowded areas, such as right near the major trailhead.

    SpyIP has a good point about out-of-towners not knowing the local traffic patterns.

  96. #96
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,039
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    Oh trust me though, there are times I want to make myself into a brick-wall, right in the middle of the trail, for the real jerks. Kidding..... kinda.....
    Tempting, isn't it? I know a few guys who will do that, collision be damned. They're always up for a good fist fight anyway.

    Do you guys recall the fight on Ben's (or maybe it was Kent's) a few years ago? Lycra-clad middle-aged climber got nailed by a young DH'er, words got said, young DH'er got coldcocked.

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Phils is a two way trail, not a balls to the wall DH run. DH riders need to ride at a speed that gives time to yield.

    Has there been any discussion about making Bens a DH only run? That connected to Whoops could be so fun.

  98. #98
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,039
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Has there been any discussion about making Bens a DH only run?
    I hope not. I like climbing Ben's too. Visibility is excellent on Ben's (and in most of Phil's triangle), so I think it can accommodate two-way traffic. Funner and Tiddly have the most potential for disaster I think.

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Bens is nice in both direction but it would be great to have a run designated as DH only. Safer for everyone. What would it take to cut a new DH only trail from Whoops to the TH?

    Funner and TW are risky. Both should be DH only.

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    I love climbing Ben's more than the other trails for some reason. More open feeling? Not sure what it is.....
    Bend, Oregon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Eastside Bend trails?
    By feltbee in forum Oregon
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-20-2013, 02:23 PM
  2. Bend trails tomorrow, too wet?
    By rideit in forum Oregon
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-25-2012, 03:54 PM
  3. Strava Dorks shortcutting trails rant
    By AntiPavement in forum Colorado - Western Slope
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 07:36 AM
  4. Bike Shopping Rant: Womens FS bikes (small rant)
    By SuperSlow35th in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 05:42 PM
  5. Favorite trails (Bend)
    By redbadger5 in forum Oregon
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 01:17 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •