Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 121
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sketchbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    618

    Bend trails (post snow)

    Anyone know the condition of trails? Was amazing a couple days ago, but now I wonder.

    Horse ridge might be open if everything else is too wet/snowy...

  2. #2
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Anyone know the condition of trails? Was amazing a couple days ago, but now I wonder.

    Horse ridge might be open if everything else is too wet/snowy...
    Snow was pretty light. I would give it until Thursday for all of the Phil's Triangle to thaw out. The trails should be sweet by then.

    Upper Elevation trails are no doubt snowed in. Just look at the Mt. Bachelor cams.... Depends on the weather in the next week.
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  3. #3
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,733
    Don't forget Horse Butte/Swamp Wells. I'm actually looking forward to riding that very soon.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sketchbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    618
    Yeah riding Horse Ridge later today. Don't think I have ever ridden horse butte/swamp wells. I will have to check that out

    thanks!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    229
    I am new to central Oregon. Where is the Horse butte / Horse ridge area ?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    306
    heard that ride was great.

    sunday the trails were great!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sketchbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    618
    @ wasfast. Both horse butte and ridge are on the east side of town. You can find maps and such on ORMTB.com

    I rode yesterday in Phil's below rd 300. Voodoo had about 1.5 " of snow on it but there was a single track path cut through and there was no mud at all. Everything lower was perfect dirt!

    Joe

  8. #8
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    @ wasfast. Both horse butte and ridge are on the east side of town. You can find maps and such on ORMTB.com

    I rode yesterday in Phil's below rd 300. Voodoo had about 1.5 " of snow on it but there was a single track path cut through and there was no mud at all. Everything lower was perfect dirt!

    Joe
    Thanks for the update. HEADING out there today. Looks like some milder temps in the forecast..
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24
    Planning to head out to Phil's trails on Sunday. Is it wishful thinking that helicopter pad will be snow free by then?

  10. #10
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotachaos View Post
    Planning to head out to Phil's trails on Sunday. Is it wishful thinking that helicopter pad will be snow free by then?
    I will let you know this evening. About to head out there!!
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  11. #11
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Rode up to 300. Nice out there. Will ride up to the HPad tomorrow. Cheers!!!!
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    54
    Took a drive up to swampy just to get a look see and there was about 4-6 inches of snow. Got some turns on the cone instead.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jeff in Bend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    423
    Rode up to heli-pad yesterday. Compact snow and ice on most of trail above 300 but rideable. Worst spot was the descent from h-pad to road with 2 -3 inches of snow. Whoops was about the same rideable but slick with compacted ice. Temps supposed to be warmer and stay above freezing for a while so I would think it should be good for a week or so. Everything below 300 was clear.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    How do you guys stay warm? I went out and my ears froze in less than 15 mins.

  15. #15
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,733
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    How do you guys stay warm? I went out and my ears froze in less than 15 mins.
    The thermal headband from REI

    Novara Thermal Tech Headband at REI.com

    only $12.50

  16. #16
    esq.
    Reputation: swolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    69

    Clearance Clarence

    Phils up past H-Pad is good, some light snow and slush. took the fat bike and was surprised how much it's changed in the last 48 hours. Those of you in town this weekend will be treated to some pretty nice trail conditions. Have fun.
    life is simple: i want to be in love, drink good coffee, and ride my bike. --drew degeer

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    306
    I cant wait, heading out tomorrow.... if anybody wants to ride, hit me up.

  18. #18
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,704
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    How do you guys stay warm? I went out and my ears froze in less than 15 mins.
    If you plan to ride in really cold winter conditions then you might dress as though you were going skiing: ski helmet, ski gloves, etc. I haven't tried it with ski boots yet...

  19. #19
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    If you plan to ride in really cold winter conditions then you might dress as though you were going skiing: ski helmet, ski gloves, etc. I haven't tried it with ski boots yet...


    Like this!!!!
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ttrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    How do you guys stay warm? I went out and my ears froze in less than 15 mins.
    Proper layers are key, and I always bring a backup or two when temps dive below 40 degrees (easily can fit into my pack with a rain/wind stopper jacket as well). I usually don't stop much on cooler rides, but after longer climbs when my layers become wet from sweat I always change out to something dry and even put on a jacket to make sure I never feel cool. I also really like my knee & arm warmers that can be easily warn or taken off during a ride..... and lastly good socks and for some people head heat (beanie, headband ect) are so simple but crucial for maintaining good body heat.

    I ride regularly into temps into low 30s or high 20s and when properly dressed am always warm. Off season ridding is some of the best with low to no people, excellent dirt conditions and better than doing nothing!

  21. #21
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,704
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post


    Like this!!!!
    Those guys were going really fast!

  22. #22
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Those guys were going really fast!
    Looks really fun!! Thinking about a Salsa Beargrease or Mukluk for winter riding.
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    306
    I was just down at Web talking to Zach about the beargrease.... it sounds like a ton of fun.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hawkview1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    44
    Go for it guys, would love to see more fat bikes in Central Oregon! You never stop smiling when you ride one of these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bend trails (post snow)-003-768x1024-.jpg  


  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    Looks really fun!! Thinking about a Salsa Beargrease or Mukluk for winter riding.
    willem, did you pull into phils TH today? I thought I saw your bike... not sure though. wearing a COTA jersey?

  26. #26
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    willem, did you pull into phils TH today? I thought I saw your bike... not sure though. wearing a COTA jersey?
    Nope! No COTA jersey!!!
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    306
    haha, good thing I didnt say hi...

  28. #28
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,733
    I've not been on a bike since that "monster" storm, lol.

    Thinking about heading out tomorrow to do Storm King. I'm guessing the snow/ice should be gone by then?? And mud should be minimal? Please advise.

    Thanks!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jeff in Bend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I've not been on a bike since that "monster" storm, lol.

    Thinking about heading out tomorrow to do Storm King. I'm guessing the snow/ice should be gone by then?? And mud should be minimal? Please advise.

    Thanks!
    I was out yesterday late and the trails are as good as it gets. Have fun!

  30. #30
    esq.
    Reputation: swolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    69

    clear/wet

    rode phils up the Canyon to Whoops side is in great shape. The trail up whoops to Shooting Star Shelter is pretty wet, but no snow in the trail. Still some patches off to both sides, etc. H-Pad is good to go/Storm King is in great shape.
    life is simple: i want to be in love, drink good coffee, and ride my bike. --drew degeer

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    306
    bought some shoe covers and a light weight jacket... GTG for the winter!

  32. #32
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,733
    Does anyone know the conditions of the really high stuff? I mean like North Fork/Met-Win/Flagline? Would there be several inches of snow in many spots?

  33. #33
    esq.
    Reputation: swolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    69
    There is some blowdown on Met-Win and Flagline, and some patchy, light, melting snow. Blowdown on South Fork as well. Trails were in good shape today.
    life is simple: i want to be in love, drink good coffee, and ride my bike. --drew degeer

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Whats up with the gun shots that sound very close to the Helipad? Hunting up there?

  35. #35
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,733
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Whats up with the gun shots that sound very close to the Helipad? Hunting up there?
    If it was last night, it may have been Willem shooting at his life-sized cardboard cutout of President Obama

    I kid!

    I recollect hearing a long time ago there is a shooting range near the Phil's TH, yet I do not know where it is; nor if this is true.

  36. #36
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,704
    At the end of FS 300 there is an old cinder pit where people shoot. Head uphill on the road a few hundred yards where Phil's crosses the road. It's right below Upper Phil's/Helipad. I wouldn't be worried about stray bullets. Even if one ricocheted out of the pit, it would have to snake through a lot of trees to get to the trail.
    Last edited by Nat; 11-07-2012 at 09:52 AM.

  37. #37
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    If it was last night, it may have been Willem shooting at his life-sized cardboard cutout of President Obama

    I kid!

    I recollect hearing a long time ago there is a shooting range near the Phil's TH, yet I do not know where it is; nor if this is true.
    Yeah!! Great idea!!!! I should get out my arsenal!! LMAO!! Actually a great day to go buy some additional guns!

    I never shoot around the Phil's network or the West Side of Bend. I tend to go out to Horse Butte to shoot at my Obama and Biden cutouts!! Great idea for some weekend fun!!

    The trails are in great shape by the way!! Great out there.
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    Yeah!! Great idea!!!! I should get out my arsenal!! LMAO!! Actually a great day to go buy some additional guns!

    I never shoot around the Phil's network or the West Side of Bend. I tend to go out to Horse Butte to shoot at my Obama and Biden cutouts!! Great idea for some weekend fun!!

    The trails are in great shape by the way!! Great out there.
    Those cutouts sound awesome let me know the next time you go I have some of this!

    DRAGON'S BREATH: 12 Gauge Flamethrower - YouTube




    .
    Bend, Oregon

  39. #39
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    Those cutouts sound awesome let me know the next time you go I have some of this!

    DRAGON'S BREATH: 12 Gauge Flamethrower - YouTube




    .
    That looks cool!!! I tend to usually go out with my Winchester 45 COLT Lever Action. Although, I sometimes take out the double barrel Coach Gun.

    I will let you know when I head out. Probably in December. Prefer to ride now when I can!! Cheers!
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    651
    Any beta on lower Phils trails? Coming up this Friday to Monday for family, but want to get some rides in.

    Have 2.4 tires, mini fenders and cold/wet weather gear.

    Thanks, Gary

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Lower phils has been in great shape. Its lightly snowing now and the weather forecast is for a couple of inches tonight.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    162

    When to call off a ride?

    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    Any beta on lower Phils trails? Coming up this Friday to Monday for family, but want to get some rides in.

    Have 2.4 tires, mini fenders and cold/wet weather gear.
    I don't mind getting wet, cold and muddy but I hate the idea of rutting up some great tread and destroying someone's hard trail work.

    What's the etiquette? Is there a rule-of-thumb in Bend for when to call off a ride due to bad trail conditions?

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    708
    Signs at most of the trail heads asking riders to stay off when the trails are wet and muddy. But, it looks like they'll be frozen solid given the forecast.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    306
    looks like a fair amount of snow up at bachelor, and we even have snow in town... whos riding in the snow?

  45. #45
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    looks like a fair amount of snow up at bachelor, and we even have snow in town... whos riding in the snow?
    Time for the Fatbikes!!!!!
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  46. #46
    esq.
    Reputation: swolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    69
    I'll be out on my fat bike this afternoon. Yesterday it was dusting up above Tumalo Falls, but i have a feeling it's pretty heavy now.
    life is simple: i want to be in love, drink good coffee, and ride my bike. --drew degeer

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    306
    I bet tiddleywinks is done for the season eh?

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    306




    Went up this morning, lots of fun

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,149
    I love seeing photos of the trails when there's snow. I'm only there when it's like 80-90 degrees. It's hard to imagine the place without heat and dust.

  50. #50
    esq.
    Reputation: swolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    69

    up a little higher

    11/10/2012. Snow deeper from Rd 4610 up Helipad, down Whoops. Pretty dialed and packed in below that road. Great conditions! Gotta love dry snow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bend trails (post snow)-2012-11-09-15.41.12.jpg  

    Bend trails (post snow)-2012-11-10-13.46.25.jpg  

    Bend trails (post snow)-2012-11-10-13.54.12.jpg  

    life is simple: i want to be in love, drink good coffee, and ride my bike. --drew degeer

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hawkview1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    44

    Snow fun...

    on FUNner this afternoon! Hope you all had a good weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bend trails (post snow)-img_0065-800x600-.jpg  


  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    162
    The lower elevation trails are good to ride if you hit them while frozen.

    Deshutes River Trail just N of Sun River:

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    396
    wondering if TW / Funner would be rideable tomorrow... probably not. Normal tires. Horse ridge is probably going to be the pick.
    Bend, OR

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    That looks cool!!! I tend to usually go out with my Winchester 45 COLT Lever Action. Although, I sometimes take out the double barrel Coach Gun.

    I will let you know when I head out. Probably in December. Prefer to ride now when I can!! Cheers!
    I am in !! I'll bring my AR and a 1911 and lots of ammo ! PM me. I'll also bring my hot girlfriend that loves bikes AND guns.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    A buddy and I plan on coming to hit a couple trails, probably Phil's and/or Shevlin, on Thurs and Fri. Anyone been up there lately?

  56. #56
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    A buddy and I plan on coming to hit a couple trails, probably Phil's and/or Shevlin, on Thurs and Fri. Anyone been up there lately?
    Weather forecast is dry for Thurs-Weekend. However, with the amount of rain we received, it will be wet. Also expect it to be really frozen. Cold temps in the forecast.
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    306
    sounds like a perfect weekend for maston... should be some good work on sat done to it also.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    Still soggy on the westside anyone know? East side is nice, but was thinking about hitting up one last run in the Phils area in a couple hours.
    Bend, Oregon

  59. #59
    it means 'no problem'
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    508
    Just out hiking on COD and aside from maybe a puddle here and there the dirt is stellar!
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

  60. #60
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie View Post
    Just out hiking on COD and aside from maybe a puddle here and there the dirt is stellar!
    Nice!!! Weekend should be solid.
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    Still soggy on the westside anyone know? East side is nice, but was thinking about hitting up one last run in the Phils area in a couple hours.
    how was it?

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    how was it?
    Perfect!

    Probably going to be good today till about noon, before thawing, and getting sloppy on the top.
    Bend, Oregon

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    Perfect!

    Probably going to be good today till about noon, before thawing, and getting sloppy on the top.
    I went this morning at 7 am... it was great. I just went up to marvins and back down to the old mill... so I didnt go very high.

    thuren want to ride sat morning?

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    I'll be up at Bachelor all day Sat. Sunday maybe!
    Bend, Oregon

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    306
    rode this morning up to the top of lower whoops, good amount of snow up there... bottom seemed totally fine. horse butte tomorrow, woot

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    171
    I might be driving over there from Portland for riding this weekend. Unless there is new snow, would the prospect of riding lower Phils, like up to post 18 or so be possible? Or should I plan to check out Horse Ridge. Never been over there. Assume it is fun... Thanks!

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    I was coming over to go riding too, but I'm afraid of the snow dropped too far down. It did on the west side.

    Anyone have a snow report? Thanks!

    Also, where to ride if Phil's is snowed in? Swamp Wells?

  68. #68
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    I was coming over to go riding too, but I'm afraid of the snow dropped too far down. It did on the west side.

    Anyone have a snow report? Thanks!

    Also, where to ride if Phil's is snowed in? Swamp Wells?
    Yes, Swamp Wells. Or Horse Ridge. Or Maston

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sketchbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    I was coming over to go riding too, but I'm afraid of the snow dropped too far down. It did on the west side.

    Anyone have a snow report? Thanks!

    Also, where to ride if Phil's is snowed in? Swamp Wells?
    Yeah what DF said.

    Snow report is there is a trace of new snow from last night in the phil's area. Potentially still rideable but better to go east.

    @JPDX - Horse ridge is actually a really cool ride. Climbing, descending, technical, views. It's one of the better trails around if you like this sort of thing. the negatives for us locals are it's 20 minutes away or more, and some people don't like technical. It's quite technical in sections. Also negative is you have to climb over some barb wire fencing. We are too spoiled around here.

  70. #70
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,733
    Peterson Ridge in Sisters is damn near perfect!

    I was out there today, and did not see another soul, other than a few deer. The far end of the trail has a few soupy sections, due to melting permafrost, but it's not bad at all.

    I'm getting better at clearing Eagle Rock Pass all the time. Only had one short section of tough uphill switchback requiring a dismount, and one small dab. Not too shabby!

    Get out there while you can. Preferably on a sunny day! The contrast of the Three Sisters painted white, and the pure green of the trees below Peterson Ridge, is sublime.

  71. #71
    Dude, got any schwag?
    Reputation: TheSchwagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    839
    Rode Phil's to rd 300, over to Ben's (exit whoops) down Ben's to Voodoo cross-over, down Phils/Kent's to finish. Voodoo cross-over was kinda sucky, but everything else was awesome. I made the only bike tracks above Voodoo. Then I had to go warm up @ 10 Barrel with a cold beer. Love their Pray for Snow (prayer answered).
    Billy

    Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

  72. #72
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,733
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSchwagman View Post
    Rode Phil's to rd 300, over to Ben's (exit whoops) down Ben's to Voodoo cross-over, down Phils/Kent's to finish. Voodoo cross-over was kinda sucky, but everything else was awesome. I made the only bike tracks above Voodoo. Then I had to go warm up @ 10 Barrel with a cold beer. Love their Pray for Snow (prayer answered).
    I'm glad somebody likes their beer

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    We're renting a house for the weekend in Bend, and tomorrow I hope to head out early and go ride Horse Ridge. Then hopefully Phil's on Sat. Maybe I'll see you there! If you see a brown Trek Fuel with white rims say hi!

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sketchbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    618
    Hey Hoban, text me if you want some company!

    503.740.2494

  75. #75
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    We're renting a house for the weekend in Bend, and tomorrow I hope to head out early and go ride Horse Ridge. Then hopefully Phil's on Sat. Maybe I'll see you there! If you see a brown Trek Fuel with white rims say hi!
    Be sure to check out Peterson Ridge, or Horse Butte, as well. You may not get far riding the Phil's triangle, although you can do multiple laps on what is clear.

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sketchbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Peterson Ridge in Sisters is damn near perfect!

    I was out there today, and did not see another soul, other than a few deer. The far end of the trail has a few soupy sections, due to melting permafrost, but it's not bad at all.

    I'm getting better at clearing Eagle Rock Pass all the time. Only had one short section of tough uphill switchback requiring a dismount, and one small dab. Not too shabby!

    Get out there while you can. Preferably on a sunny day! The contrast of the Three Sisters painted white, and the pure green of the trees below Peterson Ridge, is sublime.
    I don't recall a technical section on PRT. Hmm. I need to check a map. Lots of turnoffs and such.

  77. #77
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,733
    See the map linked to above. There are two of them, in black

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Hey Hoban, text me if you want some company!

    503.740.2494
    Sure will!

    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Be sure to check out Peterson Ridge, or Horse Butte, as well. You may not get far riding the Phil's triangle, although you can do multiple laps on what is clear.
    Good to know The house is pretty close to Phil's I hear so it may be worth to try. If not, Peterson Ridge it is...

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    I love Bend.


  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GhostRing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    267
    Nice pic! COD? Wherever it is - I need to get out somewhere this weekend...
    Time wounds all heels...

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1

    Upset Snow at Lava Lands

    Hello all:
    Am new, but have read lots of posts. I encourage everyone to go up to Lava Lands and view the proposed black top paved 10 foot wide trail to Benham Falls. Some new snow, Black Rock Trail might be a challenge.
    I am discouraged.

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostRing View Post
    Nice pic! COD? Wherever it is - I need to get out somewhere this weekend...
    Easy ride up Mravek. Good riding up there!

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    306
    going to Maston this morning. should be fun, a bit chilly but fun.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sketchbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonflip View Post
    Hello all:
    Am new, but have read lots of posts. I encourage everyone to go up to Lava Lands and view the proposed black top paved 10 foot wide trail to Benham Falls. Some new snow, Black Rock Trail might be a challenge.
    I am discouraged.
    Black rock trail is a decent trail. Not much of a challenge, but a nice Phil's like ride with some nicer views for sure and nearly nobody else around.

  85. #85
    let's ride
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonflip View Post
    Hello all:
    Am new, but have read lots of posts. I encourage everyone to go up to Lava Lands and view the proposed black top paved 10 foot wide trail to Benham Falls. Some new snow, Black Rock Trail might be a challenge.
    I am discouraged.
    you should definately check out what the usfs has planned for the planned paved trail that will parallel the black rock trail...the new paved trail will cause small re-routes on both ends and will be very close in a few places.

    the usfs is still accepting comments, make your voice heard.
    live to ride, ride to party.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Niles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    143
    Any update on trail conditions? Just pulled into town and would love to get out for a few rides. So what's rideable?

  87. #87
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    Any update on trail conditions? Just pulled into town and would love to get out for a few rides. So what's rideable?
    Now? Nothing.

    Maybe Horse Butte or Gray Butte, but even those seem doubtful.

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    Any update on trail conditions? Just pulled into town and would love to get out for a few rides. So what's rideable?
    I'd go see if you can rent a Fat Bike and have a blast. I may do the same thing myself.
    Bend, Oregon

  89. #89
    What day are we riding?
    Reputation: Rockin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by imadumas View Post
    you should definately check out what the usfs has planned for the planned paved trail that will parallel the black rock trail...the new paved trail will cause small re-routes on both ends and will be very close in a few places.

    the usfs is still accepting comments, make your voice heard.
    My comments to the USFS were:

    1 - What is really the demand for the trail, numbers of estimated users, etc.

    2 - Do the numbers justify spending $2.3 million to build plus additional funds on an annual basis to maintain, especially when there is not enough money to maintain existing USFS recreational facilities.

    Supposedly this is the first part of a cross-district paved trail. Personally, I would rather see the money for this not hit the federal deficit.

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Niles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    143
    Who rents fat bikes around town?

  91. #91
    What day are we riding?
    Reputation: Rockin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    Who rents fat bikes around town?
    I know WebCyclery has Salsa Mukluks.

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    44
    called webcyclery today about renting a mukluk. no luk. they said that salsa is late on shipping them so there is nothing to rent. bummer.

    any chance that i'd get much of a ride in anywhere out there on my skinny tired 29er? seems doubtful but let me know.

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hawkview1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    44
    Try Hutch's Bicycles eastside on Third street. They have a couple Pugsleys for demo.

  94. #94
    What day are we riding?
    Reputation: Rockin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by sholmboe View Post
    called webcyclery today about renting a mukluk. no luk. they said that salsa is late on shipping them so there is nothing to rent. bummer.

    any chance that i'd get much of a ride in anywhere out there on my skinny tired 29er? seems doubtful but let me know.
    Horse Ridge or Maston should work. I would lean toward Maston - may head out that way this afternoon. Downloan a map before you go.

  95. #95
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin View Post
    Horse Ridge or Maston should work. I would lean toward Maston - may head out that way this afternoon. Downloan a map before you go.
    Please post a Maston update when back, i.e. snow depth, mud conditions, ice, etc. I may hit it tuesday or wednesday. Thanks

  96. #96
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,733
    Did you hit Maston, Rockin?

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    171
    Is it really only 9 degrees in Bend today, whoa... snow too. Wonder if any trails are open there even Horse Ridge. Looks like quite a bit of dry snow. Maybe you can ride on that stuff, if you can avoid freezing to death that is.

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sketchbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by JPDX View Post
    Is it really only 9 degrees in Bend today, whoa... snow too. Wonder if any trails are open there even Horse Ridge. Looks like quite a bit of dry snow. Maybe you can ride on that stuff, if you can avoid freezing to death that is.
    it's insane cold lately. I don't even want to venture out. Too cold to even ski unless you have heated boots!

  99. #99
    esq.
    Reputation: swolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    69

    Horse Butte

    yeah, it's only 9 degrees. dress warm, it's good once you get warmed up.

    i was out at horse butte this morning adding to the gaggle of fat bike tire tracks that have packed down the loops out there making them really nice to ride. i was surprised at the number of runners and hikers out in the 10 degree temps. too nice a day to stay inside.
    life is simple: i want to be in love, drink good coffee, and ride my bike. --drew degeer

  100. #100
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,733
    Quote Originally Posted by swolfe View Post
    yeah, it's only 9 degrees. dress warm, it's good once you get warmed up.

    i was out at horse butte this morning adding to the gaggle of fat bike tire tracks that have packed down the loops out there making them really nice to ride. i was surprised at the number of runners and hikers out in the 10 degree temps. too nice a day to stay inside.
    I agree about getting out in this temperature! While I don't have the bike to ride snow/ice, I do get out and walk in this kind of weather whenever possible. I live east of Pilot Butte, and the least three days I have walked either downtown, or to the near west side of Bend, to do my errands. It's exhilarating!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •