Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Is horse butte rideable on a regular bike now? Would like to go out there tomorrow. How much is a fat bike rental?
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    I just rented a FatBack from Crows Feet Commons. $35 for 24 hours. Prices are probably the same at Hutches.

I would guess anything nice and packed down you could ride with a normal bike

I rode up Ben's trail as far as I could. Was good for the first couple miles and then it turned into a XC trail. Too narrow and trails were going all over the place.

The snow out there is like 12" deep, and very heavy and sticky, so unridable pretty much unless packed down.

mtbr member
    and incase anyone wants a funny video of me trying to clear this obstacle on Ben's on a Fat bike...

Trying to clear an obstacle on a fatbike in the snow. - YouTube

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    and incase anyone wants a funny video of me trying to clear this obstacle on Ben's on a Fat bike...

Trying to clear an obstacle on a fatbike in the snow. - YouTube
    Nice wreck!! Don't show the video to the rental folks!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    hahahaha... no kidding. Willem I met one of your neighbors randomly. small world.

mtbr member
    Went out to Swamp Wells trail at CH and Bessie Butte. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anybody had been riding fat bikes out there to pack the snow down. That made for a short snow ride on the "regular" bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just got back from Horse Ridge. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a fatbike.

Pretty much all snow covered still, and not really that close to melting off either. I managed to get several miles in but that was by doubling up on some sections and it wasn't great. I think it would be good on a fatbike, but my 29 x 2.4,2.1 tires were not enough. Dropping air pressure super low helped. There were several fatbike tracks already, and where they all rode the same line it was pretty doable on a normal bike, but when they didn't pack it down well, it was rough going.
    Bend, OR

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Did you hit Maston, Rockin?
    Oops, sorry. Missed this one. Did go - only a couple inches and others have been out there packing it down a little bit.

Sounds like snow level and temps are going to be heading up - should get nice and sloppy out there again.

mtbr member
    Yeah - the snow is old everywhere and is just too wet and sticky for even a fatbike really. Need a pretty thick packed down swatch to comfortably hit a trail with the fat bike unless it's brand new powdery snow.

mtbr member

Pine Mountain, Bend Oregon

Excellent ride up to Pine Mountain Observatory. 8 miles, 2,000 feet of climbing, elevation 6,300ft, 14 degrees at the top, 16 miles round trip...fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bend trails (post snow)-pine-mt-1024x768-.jpg  

esq.

Nice!

Did you start right off of Hwy 20? I was thinking about that place a few days ago and wondering what the conditions were. Perfect Fat Bike ride. I think I'll go again soon.

BTW; anyone ridden out to Elk Lake Lodge in the past week? I did it 10 days or so ago and it was pretty good. It seems the snowfall has been minimal. Thinking another trip out is in order.
    life is simple: i want to be in love, drink good coffee, and ride my bike. --drew degeer

mtbr member
    Yep, started of Hwy 20...nice grind to the top. Going back country skiing up there tomorrow before the weather warms up this week. The snow was perfect!

Planning a ride to Elk Lake in the next month or so. Getting some folks together to rent a cabin for a night. Some will ski, some will bike (me)!

The riding is perfect right now...going to warm up the next few days and could get soft. Go early!

mtbr member
    awesome! This looks like a lot of fun. The elk lake ride would be a blast as well!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    a few more sunny days and maston should be a good ride eh?

mtbr member
    Just heard that Edison snow park snowshoe trail is super packed down and would be great for a fatbike.

Afric Pepperbird
    Damn, I kind of want a fatbike, but I just cannot justify the cost in getting one.

Hurry up spring

mtbr member
    Good idea...may give that a shot on Thursday. Thanks!

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Damn, I kind of want a fatbike, but I just cannot justify the cost in getting one.

Hurry up spring
    Agreed DF. I am thinking of building one up in the Fall for use next winter. The designs will improve and more parts will be available as well. Looking forward to riding all next winter.

mtbr member
    I put some Nokian studded tires on my bike.

Then hit Shevlin/Mrazek and then Ben's Trail.
    Trail conditions at both SUCK. The hikers put
    footprints in the snow and then it FROZE UP
    solid ice. Super-bumpy and LAME.

Are there any trails around Bend that are
    HARD-PACKED SNOW?
    Matt in Bend, Oregon

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by dualsport650 View Post
    I put some Nokian studded tires on my bike.

Then hit Shevlin/Mrazek and then Ben's Trail.
    Trail conditions at both SUCK. The hikers put
    footprints in the snow and then it FROZE UP
    solid ice. Super-bumpy and LAME.

Are there any trails around Bend that are
    HARD-PACKED SNOW?
    You can try out to Swamp Wells / Horse Butte area. Might be better. Please try to stay off the muddy areas so as not to leave ruts. FYI, Ben's and all the trails are also meant for hikers. If you are truly looking for hard packed snow trails then head up higher. Please view the other thread about riding in muddy conditions. There is a post about Fat Bikes that you might find interesting as well. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    You can try out to Swamp Wells / Horse Butte area. Might be better. Please try to stay off the muddy areas so as not to leave ruts. FYI, Ben's and all the trails are also meant for hikers. If you are truly looking for hard packed snow trails then head up higher. Please view the other thread about riding in muddy conditions. There is a post about Fat Bikes that you might find interesting as well. Cheers!
    Thanks Willem,

I'll try the Swamp Wells stuff.

No worries. I don't ride in mud or skid.
    In Spring when I see tire tracks in the drying mud,
    I often smooth them out with my shoes.
    Matt in Bend, Oregon

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5