Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bend trails (post snow)

16K views 120 replies 30 participants last post by  dualsport650 
#1 ·
Anyone know the condition of trails? Was amazing a couple days ago, but now I wonder.

Horse ridge might be open if everything else is too wet/snowy...

#13 ·
Rode up to heli-pad yesterday. Compact snow and ice on most of trail above 300 but rideable. Worst spot was the descent from h-pad to road with 2 -3 inches of snow. Whoops was about the same rideable but slick with compacted ice. Temps supposed to be warmer and stay above freezing for a while so I would think it should be good for a week or so. Everything below 300 was clear.

#16 ·
Clearance Clarence

Phils up past H-Pad is good, some light snow and slush. took the fat bike and was surprised how much it's changed in the last 48 hours. Those of you in town this weekend will be treated to some pretty nice trail conditions. Have fun.

#30 ·
clear/wet

rode phils up the Canyon to Whoops side is in great shape. The trail up whoops to Shooting Star Shelter is pretty wet, but no snow in the trail. Still some patches off to both sides, etc. H-Pad is good to go/Storm King is in great shape.

#36 · (Edited)
At the end of FS 300 there is an old cinder pit where people shoot. Head uphill on the road a few hundred yards where Phil's crosses the road. It's right below Upper Phil's/Helipad. I wouldn't be worried about stray bullets. Even if one ricocheted out of the pit, it would have to snake through a lot of trees to get to the trail.

#42 ·
When to call off a ride?

Any beta on lower Phils trails? Coming up this Friday to Monday for family, but want to get some rides in.

Have 2.4 tires, mini fenders and cold/wet weather gear.
I don't mind getting wet, cold and muddy but I hate the idea of rutting up some great tread and destroying someone's hard trail work.

What's the etiquette? Is there a rule-of-thumb in Bend for when to call off a ride due to bad trail conditions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.