Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Peterson Ridge in Sisters is damn near perfect!

I was out there today, and did not see another soul, other than a few deer. The far end of the trail has a few soupy sections, due to melting permafrost, but it's not bad at all.

I'm getting better at clearing Eagle Rock Pass all the time. Only had one short section of tough uphill switchback requiring a dismount, and one small dab. Not too shabby!

Get out there while you can. Preferably on a sunny day! The contrast of the Three Sisters painted white, and the pure green of the trees below Peterson Ridge, is sublime.
    I don't recall a technical section on PRT. Hmm. I need to check a map. Lots of turnoffs and such.

Afric Pepperbird
    See the map linked to above. There are two of them, in black

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Hey Hoban, text me if you want some company!

Sure will!

Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Be sure to check out Peterson Ridge, or Horse Butte, as well. You may not get far riding the Phil's triangle, although you can do multiple laps on what is clear.
    Good to know The house is pretty close to Phil's I hear so it may be worth to try. If not, Peterson Ridge it is...

mtbr member
    I love Bend.

mtbr member
    Nice pic! COD? Wherever it is - I need to get out somewhere this weekend...
    Time wounds all heels...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Upset Snow at Lava Lands

Hello all:
    Am new, but have read lots of posts. I encourage everyone to go up to Lava Lands and view the proposed black top paved 10 foot wide trail to Benham Falls. Some new snow, Black Rock Trail might be a challenge.
    I am discouraged.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostRing View Post
    Nice pic! COD? Wherever it is - I need to get out somewhere this weekend...
    Easy ride up Mravek. Good riding up there!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    going to Maston this morning. should be fun, a bit chilly but fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonflip View Post
    Hello all:
    Am new, but have read lots of posts. I encourage everyone to go up to Lava Lands and view the proposed black top paved 10 foot wide trail to Benham Falls. Some new snow, Black Rock Trail might be a challenge.
    I am discouraged.
    Black rock trail is a decent trail. Not much of a challenge, but a nice Phil's like ride with some nicer views for sure and nearly nobody else around.

let's ride
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonflip View Post
    Hello all:
    I am discouraged.
    you should definately check out what the usfs has planned for the planned paved trail that will parallel the black rock trail...the new paved trail will cause small re-routes on both ends and will be very close in a few places.

the usfs is still accepting comments, make your voice heard.
    live to ride, ride to party.

mtbr member
    Any update on trail conditions? Just pulled into town and would love to get out for a few rides. So what's rideable?

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    Any update on trail conditions? Just pulled into town and would love to get out for a few rides. So what's rideable?
    Now? Nothing.

Maybe Horse Butte or Gray Butte, but even those seem doubtful.

mtbr member
    I'd go see if you can rent a Fat Bike and have a blast. I may do the same thing myself.
    Bend, Oregon

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by imadumas View Post
    you should definately check out what the usfs has planned for the planned paved trail that will parallel the black rock trail...the new paved trail will cause small re-routes on both ends and will be very close in a few places.

the usfs is still accepting comments, make your voice heard.
    My comments to the USFS were:

1 - What is really the demand for the trail, numbers of estimated users, etc.

2 - Do the numbers justify spending $2.3 million to build plus additional funds on an annual basis to maintain, especially when there is not enough money to maintain existing USFS recreational facilities.

Supposedly this is the first part of a cross-district paved trail. Personally, I would rather see the money for this not hit the federal deficit.

mtbr member
    Who rents fat bikes around town?

What day are we riding?
    Who rents fat bikes around town?
    I know WebCyclery has Salsa Mukluks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    called webcyclery today about renting a mukluk. no luk. they said that salsa is late on shipping them so there is nothing to rent. bummer.

any chance that i'd get much of a ride in anywhere out there on my skinny tired 29er? seems doubtful but let me know.

mtbr member
    Try Hutch's Bicycles eastside on Third street. They have a couple Pugsleys for demo.

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by sholmboe View Post
    called webcyclery today about renting a mukluk. no luk. they said that salsa is late on shipping them so there is nothing to rent. bummer.

any chance that i'd get much of a ride in anywhere out there on my skinny tired 29er? seems doubtful but let me know.
    Horse Ridge or Maston should work. I would lean toward Maston - may head out that way this afternoon. Downloan a map before you go.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin View Post
    Horse Ridge or Maston should work. I would lean toward Maston - may head out that way this afternoon. Downloan a map before you go.
    Please post a Maston update when back, i.e. snow depth, mud conditions, ice, etc. I may hit it tuesday or wednesday. Thanks

Afric Pepperbird
    Did you hit Maston, Rockin?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Is it really only 9 degrees in Bend today, whoa... snow too. Wonder if any trails are open there even Horse Ridge. Looks like quite a bit of dry snow. Maybe you can ride on that stuff, if you can avoid freezing to death that is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPDX View Post
    Is it really only 9 degrees in Bend today, whoa... snow too. Wonder if any trails are open there even Horse Ridge. Looks like quite a bit of dry snow. Maybe you can ride on that stuff, if you can avoid freezing to death that is.
    it's insane cold lately. I don't even want to venture out. Too cold to even ski unless you have heated boots!

esq.

Horse Butte

yeah, it's only 9 degrees. dress warm, it's good once you get warmed up.

i was out at horse butte this morning adding to the gaggle of fat bike tire tracks that have packed down the loops out there making them really nice to ride. i was surprised at the number of runners and hikers out in the 10 degree temps. too nice a day to stay inside.
    life is simple: i want to be in love, drink good coffee, and ride my bike. --drew degeer

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by swolfe View Post
    yeah, it's only 9 degrees. dress warm, it's good once you get warmed up.

i was out at horse butte this morning adding to the gaggle of fat bike tire tracks that have packed down the loops out there making them really nice to ride. i was surprised at the number of runners and hikers out in the 10 degree temps. too nice a day to stay inside.
    I agree about getting out in this temperature! While I don't have the bike to ride snow/ice, I do get out and walk in this kind of weather whenever possible. I live east of Pilot Butte, and the least three days I have walked either downtown, or to the near west side of Bend, to do my errands. It's exhilarating!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast