Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bend trails. I'm thinking of a reconnaissance mission.

2K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Lpcunity 
#1 ·
I am thinking about the possibility of relocating to Bend from the front range of Colorado. I was hoping some of you could shed some light on the type of riding in the immediate area. The trails that I'm used to and really enjoy are long steep climbs and technical fast downhills. I enjoy riding my 6" all mountain bike and I have a single speed as well. I know you back up to Mt. Bachelor so I the elevation gain is there. Most of the information I have found shows trails mostly in the flatter areas. I would appreciate any insight.
Ride fun!
LPCunity

#2 ·
I primarily use a SS and geared HT in Bend. I have a XC FS MTB, but I find it is overkill for most of the Bend area dirt. Sure, there is some higher elevation stuff that is great on a FS MTB, but a SS or geared HT is fine on that stuff as well. Personally, I wouldn't ride an all mountain bike on the Bend dirt.

The dirt directly to the west of Bend is true XC MTBing dirt. Really nothing steep; the climbing is very gradual. For example, most of the DH should be pedaled to get up to speed. The exceptions are the Wanoga Complex and the higher elevation dirt, but none of that dirt is all the steep either.

DH'ers will be able to get their fix in the coming years at the new Mt. Bachelor Bike Park. It is closed for the year due to snow.

#4 ·
+1 on HT for the most part. I have a SS HT (rigid) and a FS 29er w/130 Front/Back.
The FS is a little over kill for Bend, but fun on upper woops, etc. I spend half my time in Bend and half in Tahoe, if I was in Bend fulltime (soon) I will sell the 130 FS and get a short travel FS or HT with a front shock.

But there's also steeper riding in Hood River, Mt. Hood and Oakridge that your 6" bike could be fun.

Great riding in Bend

#8 ·
Thank you for the replies. I have done some research all over the web and it matches what you all are saying. Sounds like I would need to add another rig to the quiver. What time of year does the high country start getting snowed in? How far is the drive to Mt. Bachelor? Thanks everyone.

#10 ·
Bummer!!

I too may be moving to Bend and ride the same type of riding as you. If we move there I would have to convert to a XC mentality but all the while dreaming of all mtn riding.

The positives that I've seen in Bend is mt Bachelor is soooo close. It's a great little city...very clean and friendly, fun times on and around the River, and of course all the great microbrews (really liked 10 Barrel). I think it would tough for me to have to give up all-mtn type of riding for XC though.

#18 ·
Bummer!!

I too may be moving to Bend and ride the same type of riding as you. If we move there I would have to convert to a XC mentality but all the while dreaming of all mtn riding.

The positives that I've seen in Bend is mt Bachelor is soooo close. It's a great little city...very clean and friendly, fun times on and around the River, and of course all the great microbrews (really liked 10 Barrel). I think it would tough for me to have to give up all-mtn type of riding for XC though.
I would call Bend more All-Mountain than just XC, by a long shot. If you know where to go, the speeds and techy sections can be plentiful. If you stay on regular on XC trails, you get XC.

#15 ·
By the way, there are some steep options around. Smith Rock. Horse Ridge for Fall/Winter/Spring riding has some steeper/more technical parts. As I understand it, there are some steeper rides over in the Ochocos (about 1 hour away). Oakridge about 1-1/2 hours away for more steep rides.

The nearest / lowest steep option is Farewell.

#19 ·
I don't think you can compare all mountain riding in CO to what we have here in Bend. As Thuren said, there are plenty of options for all mountain riding, but they aren't like what you find in CO in my opinion.

Here you need to ride for 10-15 miles to get up 3000 ft in elevation typically.

The more "downhill" trails here great, but they are all around 1200-1500 ft of elevation drop and they go by pretty fast.

Funner, Tiddlywinks, Tyler's, upper north fork, farewell, flagline, southfork, edison lava, cline butte are all close to town and have fun downhills. As greg said, Ochocos and Oakridge would be more like your huge elevations rides in CO. I would add Olleary, Ollallie king castle to the big elevation rides as well. Near McKenzie River Trail.

Bachelor will definitely help with the more downhill centric trails.

Bend is just different. Everything is so close, and fairly moderate in elevation, so you can just go out and ride as far as you want. And you don't kill yourself in the process so the next day you can ride all you want as well.

#22 ·
I am faster descending and having more fun, in more control, with at least some rear suspension, on....

Funner
Tiddlywinks
South Fork
Flagline
Phils Canyon
Upper Phils from Heli
Farewell
Sand Canyon Horse ridge
Cline Butte
Smith Rock

I'm sure I'm missing some....

I can get down all those very well on my 29er HT too, but if it's faster and in more control with suspension, I think it's safe to call that "all-mountain".

I'm faster almost everywhere else on my 29'er HT, as there is not too much pitch.

Side note: My background is Downhill and Motocross racing, and I like the Bend variety. If it's too steep, the descents don't last long, and the climbs to get to them are slow speed little-gear grinders. I like being able to keep up 10mph CLIMBING then have a fun fast rip down.

#24 ·
The trails that I'm used to and really enjoy are long steep climbs and technical fast downhills.
What trail systems do you ride and what are your favorite trails?

I've spent time riding most of the Jeffco trail systems along with Indian Creek (not sure if that's inside Jeffco) and Buffalo Creek. Due to time and travel constraints I never got a chance to head north to hit Hall and Heil (my only regrets).

I've also spent several months riding the Bend area trails including Ochocos, McKenzie, and Oakridge.

I might be able to make some specific comparisons for you.

#28 ·
I live in Golden so the Jeffco trails are in my backyard and I'm spoiled. Sounds like Bend has a good variety of fun trails. I should just come out and sample them for myself. I would appreciate some comparisons. Thanks for everyone's replies.

#29 ·
All the bike advise stated thus far should be taken with a grain of salt as it all boils down to personal preference. Do you like to ride fast, slow, climb, descend, jib, jump, slay corners, plow......etc. For example, one could ride a lot of the trails here on a road bike, road tires and all! Would that choice be much fun, for most probably not but someone might think it to be the greatest thing ever. That said I would choose a bike based on what type of riding you like to do. If your into xc, get a hardtail or a short travel xc bike, if you like all mountain or enduro get a 5-6in trail bike. Another thing to keep in mind when considering a bike is that there are plenty of other places to ride close to Bend, Oakridge, Ashland, Hood River.... So choose a bike based on your own riding ability and your style of riding and ignore all the opinions of what the best bike for Bend is, and get what you think is the best bike for you!

Cheers,
Joe

#31 ·
+1 to jtreins comment...the beauty of Bend trails is their versatility. If you want to ride the brakes and cruise along an XC HT is fine, and there are usually alternate routes around difficult features so you won't get sketched out. If you want to turn up the gas and crush, an AM rig will work great. Personally I ride a Spec Enduro, and while I will be buying an XC oriented rig next year this set up has been awesome on every trail around here. The mellow grade makes climbing with big bikes much less of a hassle. I love steep gnarly alpine rides as well and spend a lot of time riding in the Valley and Ochocos, definitely on par with what I've ridden in 'rado. Bends trails are great but the proximity to a variety of epic, remote trails is what takes the cake for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.