mtbr member
    Jul 2004

bend trails for agressive kids?

Besides DRT and phils, what trails near bend would you recommend for an 10 & 8 yr old that are pretty good riders, but can't yet handle tons of climbing or more technical trails?

We'll be there next week and I'd love to show them a teaser of some higher alpine singletrack.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think Marvin Gardens to KGB to Phil's is a great loop for kids. I have also taken a 10 year old through some of the trails out of Swampy and that worked well. The Black Rock Trail out of Benham Falls is another good option.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Afric Pepperbird
    The Swampy/Swede Loop is up near "alpine" level. It's fairly easy, and has lots of good views.

mtbr member
    Mrazek is a good not too technical option as long as you hit it from Shevlin area. Then again it's all uphill...

I just rode on the Steve Larson trail and that's fun and fairly level without too much climbing. Same deal with the Dinah Mo Humm and Kiwa Butte. Very level trails for the most part. Not that technical.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am heading up to do the Swede Ridge/Swampy loop with my 10 year old son in the next couple days. Will report back . . .

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Swampy/Swede for sure.

Do you have a high clearance vehicle? If so, drive up FS370 to Broken Top TH and ride Metolius/Windigo north towards Happy Valley, but turn back before it starts to drop elevation.

Finish up by chasing tadpoles in Todd Lake or stand up paddle boarding at Elk Lake. Kids love that stuff.

What day are we riding?
    When my son was 8 we did the shuttle from Swampy Sno-Park down South Fork a few times.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Do you think your kids will appreciate the nuances of high alpine singletrack? My kids are 8 and 11 and are decent riders, but they have more of a micro- view than a macro- view. High alpine scenery is mostly lost upon them. For example, when we went to Yosemite I was pointing out the grandeur of Half Dome and Bridal Veil Falls but they were more interested in the caterpillars on the ground, LOL. When we go to Todd Lake I can't stop staring at the valley in which the lake nestles, but they focus on the tadpoles and bugs. I bet my kids would rather play on the jump track than cruise high alpine singletrack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My 10 year old son and I did the Swampy Swede loop last night. He loved it. Especially the log jumps. I think the trail offers a good mix of up and down terrain and technical bits for a 10 year old

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Not sure about the high alpine trails, but the Peterson Ridge Trail system just outside Sisters has been a repeat hit with my nine year old daughter. Also, she (mostly) enjoyed the loop trail at Shevlin.