mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Bend trail suggestions?

I'm going to be staying at a house in southwest Bend near Elk Meadow Elementary school for a few days in the middle of next month.

Can anyone suggest a few ride suggestions in the area? Is that area rideable to trails or should I have someone drop me off? I'm in decent shape with intermediate tech skills. My wife or mother in law can drop me off at the trail head or even shuttle me, but this isn't a "bike trip", it's a family vacation where I'm happening to bring my bike so I'd prefer to ride to the trailhead if I can so I don't bother them.

Freeride Recumbent
    Most trails are on the other side of the river (i.e.: the west side of the river) so you'll be adding some road miles to get to them. Getting dropped off at Skyliner Sno Park or Green Gate and riding back to the house is probably the ticket...

Mountain Biking in Central Oregon » BendTrails.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How often are there places to cross the river? The house is less than 1,000t from the river.

I'm fine with a few road miles (4-5 before and after maybe?) to get warmed up beforehand but don't want to be spending a ton of time on pavement. 4-5 miles on each end would be 8-10 miles total. Most of the loops I do here are 25-30 miles on dirt with 3500-5000ft of climbing so I wouldn't want much more than 8-10 miles to be pavement. I'll have a rental car so I can drive myself or get dropped off. Just trying to get an idea of how long I'll be traveling to start riding. I always hear people say they ride singletrack from their front door in Bend.

Freeride Recumbent
    The only place to cross is Reed Market Road at Farewell Bend Park (there's one other foot bridge but bike are prohibited at that crossing so it's not a short cut).

You can jump on the trail (really a dirt road) at River Canyon Park (near where you're staying) and work your way towards town on the Deschutes River Trail to the crossing. Also look at BendTrails.org if you haven't done that yet...

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I'm going to be staying at a house in southwest Bend near Elk Meadow Elementary school for a few days in the middle of next month.

Can anyone suggest a few ride suggestions in the area? Is that area rideable to trails or should I have someone drop me off? I'm in decent shape with intermediate tech skills. My wife or mother in law can drop me off at the trail head or even shuttle me, but this isn't a "bike trip", it's a family vacation where I'm happening to bring my bike so I'd prefer to ride to the trailhead if I can so I don't bother them.

Scenery and singletrack: Deschutes River Trail, watch out for pedestrians and ending up the river.

Fun and twisty: Phil's trail area, lot's of options.

Nice grind followed by nice dh and scenery if you go high enough: Mrazek

All on the West side, but you might want to hitch a ride to some of them. Lot's of good options though.

Nat
    mtbr member
    From the Elk Meadow Elementary area I think you would be riding at least 5 miles or so to get to well-known trails, but fortunately it's a nice cruise. I can think of worse routes.

However...

I think there's a dirt shortcut from Brookswood Blvd. down to the river then to Reed Market bridge -- can someone confirm? I've seen bikes and bike tracks heading up towards the Canal Trail from the river where it's open to bikes but I've never ridden up there to connect it myself.

From Reed Market Rd. you could ride nearly all singletrack or dirt MUT as it parallels Century Dr. heading up to the Good Dog parking area, then ride the DRT or the Haul Trail up to the Wanoga area.

In other words you could ride almost all dirt from the Elk Meadow area if you know where to go, but those trails don't really make the news or the maps.

Bear in mind that most of the Phil's triangle area will be closed during the work week due to a forest service project. You'll have other trail options though (e.g., Wanoga area, Deschutes River Trail, Mrazek trail).

Edit: If you zoom in on the Google map (non-satellite view) to the 500ft. scale or smaller it actually shows the singletrack routes I mentioned above. It looks like little gray sausage links.

mtbr member
    Yes Nat, Per rob's comments, you can access the river trail (gravel road anyway), at River Canyon Park. The gravel road goes along the river edge for maybe 3/4 mile and then you connect to river trail singletrack.

Probably the most scenic section of trail in town but packed full of hikers.
    Lots more trail above the DRT around the canal as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks all, will be combing through these suggestions thoroughly in the next few days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I frequently ride the River Trail (east side of the river) from my house in SW Bend to Reed Market, cross the bridge, up the hill and access (urban) singletrack behind the Bend Athletic Club. From there you can really easily weave in some more singletrack as you follow the Haul Tail up to the Tetherow access road where you can get onto Phil's Trails.
    It's actually (technically) mostly singletrack and takes about 1/2 hour to get to Phil's.
    Having said that: that part of Phil's is closed during the week for the summer.
    Also: give pedestrians the right-of-way on the River Trail. Don't go for the KOM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteNW View Post
    I frequently ride the River Trail (east side of the river) from my house in SW Bend to Reed Market, cross the bridge, up the hill and access (urban) singletrack behind the Bend Athletic Club. From there you can really easily weave in some more singletrack as you follow the Haul Tail up to the Tetherow access road where you can get onto Phil's Trails.
    It's actually (technically) mostly singletrack and takes about 1/2 hour to get to Phil's.
    Having said that: that part of Phil's is closed during the week for the summer.
    Also: give pedestrians the right-of-way on the River Trail. Don't go for the KOM
    Good suggestion to take the patches of singletrack from Bend Athletic Club to Tetharow. I ride that almost daily.

Clarification: Marvin's Garden is open weekdays now so you can get to Phil's Trailhead.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Didn't see a 2016 conditions thread, so I figured I'd just use this one. Heading down for the long weekend. Is the Upper Whoops-South Fork-Skyliners loop open?
    With Tumalo Falls trail closed, I'm thinking of riding up Farewell to Mrazek. Is it clear? How miserable a climb is that (I've only descended it)? Thanks!

mtbr member
    I think that thread is dying because we now have https://bendtrails.org/

And I will say that Bend Trails is pretty awesome for both trail conditions and exploring new trails.

Freeride Recumbent
    Southfork clearing started today, probably get a report later. Farewell has a lot of trees. Check https://bendtrails.org/ — lots of trails are opening up for the summer.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Tumalo Creek trail is open.

South Fork likely has too much blowdown and maybe snow at the top.

Farewell has a lot of blowdown but there's a trail work party this evening, so maybe it'll be open by this weekend. That trail is actually kind of fun to climb (if you're into climbing). It's strenuous at the start but then it levels out a bit.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Bend Trails website is misleading about Mrazek. It's had it as riding well for the past two months. The upper third has been under snow for most of that time and still must have lots of deadfall unless someone has been working on it without posting. That would be for a mile or two down from the Farewell junction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradshawbs View Post
    Bend Trails website is misleading about Mrazek. It's had it as riding well for the past two months. The upper third has been under snow for most of that time and still must have lots of deadfall unless someone has been working on it without posting. That would be for a mile or two down from the Farewell junction.
    Every trail that goes from a low elevation to a high elevation is going to be hard to report on from a "trail status" point of view. People who like riding out and back or up and down 4601 would say it's riding well. Others might change status to deadfall as the top has deadfall/snow. Both are correct.

The important thing is to read the comments, which are updated often and are accurate

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Every trail that goes from a low elevation to a high elevation is going to be hard to report on from a "trail status" point of view. People who like riding out and back or up and down 4601 would say it's riding well. Others might change status to deadfall as the top has deadfall/snow. Both are correct.

The important thing is to read the comments, which are updated often and are accurate
    The comments are buried and sometimes confusing. If people are updating the status based on only riding portions of the trail, it shows the need to divide the trail into segments.

It's been implied in this thread that if you can make it up Farewell to Mrazek, the ride would be clear which I doubt.

mtbr member
    The comments are buried and sometimes confusing. If people are updating the status based on only riding portions of the trail, it shows the need to divide the trail into segments.

It's been implied in this thread that if you can make it up Farewell to Mrazek, the ride would be clear which I doubt.
    Dividing into segments is an option, and it's been discussed. Just adds more complexity, map loads slower, etc.

I can't speak for what is mentioned in this thread but the site comments are pretty clear that both trails are not clear. The comments are linear with newest comments at the top. Might feel buried but it's better than nothing I hope.

Thanks for the feedback

Bill and I are headed up tomorrow (unless I can't make it) to clear more Farewell (by hand saw). Not sure how far we will get. If anyone wants to help lemme know!

Nat
    mtbr member
    You should post an update to their site; it would be helpful to all.