Boise

Bend Trail Conditions as of 11/20

So how are the trails? We had some snow blow through Boise this AM, but weather is forecasted to be clear the rest of the week. Takin a trip over your way for T-day and plan on some riding while I'm there.......

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Trails have been soggy. I last rode on Friday, and there were lots of huge puddles. I am positive that the lower half of Phil's area is 100% open, and as high as Swampy may still be rideable through this week (who knows what the weather will do).

Steve Dallas wannabe
    I will be there as well!!! Gotta dry out from the monsoons over here westside....can I leave work yet??

industry employee
    I just got back from riding the Deschutes River Trail to Sunriver and back. It was a little soggy and boggy in some spots, especially where the dirt had thawed. I'd recommend going earlier in the day when the ground is still frozen.

mike

love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007
    Nearly all of the Phil's area is frozen, with a good deal of frost hove and light snow in the higher parts. As I write this it's 25 degrees, so expect cold, slow, bumpy, crunchy riding for the next couple days, if not through the weekend. And I do mean cold and slow; today's loop took about 30% longer than normal, not counting a couple stops to warm up toes.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Bachy is opening tomorrow.

Muy Borracho

Turkey Day Ride

Took a few pics of my ride today. It was hella chilly but super fun.

Turkey Day Ride

Toby Wong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Bachy is opening tomorrow.
    damn it was thiiinnnnnn up there! I only did 1 run with the kids on Sunrise Accelerator, but they did great, which was the whole point.

Going to try to get in a carb work-off ride today, maybe ski tomorrow but I don't want to coreshot my skis. Maybe I'll wait till we get more snow.
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    damn it was thiiinnnnnn up there! I only did 1 run with the kids on Sunrise Accelerator, but they did great, which was the whole point.

Going to try to get in a carb work-off ride today, maybe ski tomorrow but I don't want to coreshot my skis. Maybe I'll wait till we get more snow.
    I got in two runs on Coffee Run East. I nailed a few rocks. It felt good to get up there at all though.

There were some seriously boneheaded drivers getting all aggro on the drive up. I guess they wanted to be first to be at the end of the line or something.

Toby Wong?
    sweet. good to hear you got up there. maybe we can get some runs in this winter.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    sweet. good to hear you got up there. maybe we can get some runs in this winter.
    Sounds good to me. I know where to find you and you know where to find me.

You know what's sad? For the last two months I've been doing squats at the gym (in addition to riding the singlespeed) trying to get my legs in shape for winter, and still my thigh feels all crampy after only those two runs! Jesus!

Toby Wong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Sounds good to me. I know where to find you and you know where to find me.

You know what's sad? For the last two months I've been doing squats at the gym (in addition to riding the singlespeed) trying to get my legs in shape for winter, and still my thigh feels all crampy after only those two runs! Jesus!

hah! must be that 29'r handicap! 26's are good for something! (well, let's get the first real powder day and ask me about my quads after a couple hours )

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Re:thin snow, the old local rule of thumb has been 36" of base before leaving the groomed. They'll have that by January.

In the meantime, I'm gonna do my best to get as many trail ride days as I can. It seems like it is once every three or four years that the trails above the top of Phil's canyon are still open.

Steve Dallas wannabe

Smile Not bad

Went end to end on the Deschutes River Trail. Trees down across the trail in 3 places, so be careful!! Other than that, pretty nice. Some MUDDY areas, but that is all. Overall another great ride and day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Our intended ride was rather ambitious, so we adjusted. We started today at 3 from Skyliner Sno-park think we might go up to Swede via Rockless ridge, and then down to the Whoops to the 2nd car at the 300 rd. We got into 2-ish inches pretty low on the rockless ridge, and decided to turn back and go up Skyliners trail instead, and from there did 2 laps on the lower whoops. I am calling it a success. It was a blast.

Toby Wong?
    i rode Bens - MTB - Kent's and turned around before the junction and came back down Kents - great ride,

funny - some of the frozen dirt seemed to be "breaking" under the weight of my rear wheel...at least, the rear felt like it was flat, I looked down and the dirt was literally breaking, caving in on each side of the tire 1 inch out.

glad we've got the trails while teh mountain coverage is so thin

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thats the hoar frost. The 4 or 5 miles of trail 99 was that way, and so was the trail heading up Rockless Ridge. Pederson Ridge was actually quite firm as was the lower Whoops.

I love riding Kent's.

love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007
    Usually when I hit "breaking" trail it's where water's channeled under the tread. Hoar frost or frost hove ground rarely has enough rigidity to do much besides crush directly under tires.

mtbr member
    Rode Whoops this weekend as well. The new trail is very awesome and was fun to ride with the boys with their big bikes. The crinkly dirt is always interesting as it falls away as you ride through it. Had the dog with me and was very amused as it would totally trip him out.

And will also be on the mountain this winter. Hoping to get new clothes, so not sure what to say to look for, but look for the bling bling board... last year the only woman's 158 came in gold and black snake skin, so I am blinging it out while the rest of me is retro, quite a look!

Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!