mtbr member

Bend Tire Recommendations?

I searched for tire recommendations for Bend but most of what I found was fairly dated. So seems like it's time for an update. I'm coming from NorCal and will be in Bend for 2 weeks. So hoping to get some good riding in. I've never been so I don't know what conditions will be like. I'm still on 26" wheels and that seems to limit my options. I'm kind of over heavy tires like WW (but bringing a pair). So I'm willing to trade some grip for a lower weight tire if it's sensible.

mtbr member
    Its going to be dry and dusty until the rains return after Labor Day. So the lower elevation trails will be loose. Sometimes deep pits of loose. The higher elevations won't be as torn up.

I use the same tires in Bend as everywhere else. Maxxis Minion DHF front, DHR II rear. They work fine. My suggestion is ride what you're already comfortable with.

COTA member
    Trails South and West of Bend are primarily fast flow XC trails with loose sand/dirt. I have been using Schwalbe Racing Ralphs for a couple years. No complaints. Not sure if they are offered in 26".

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Anything that works well in dry and loose conditions. It really can get soft and sandy - giving up traction for lighter weight or better rolling resistance is a bad idea IMHO.

Also, when passing riders going the opposite direction please don't ride off trail. I'm constantly amazed at how many people in Bend don't understand this simple concept. Please don't be that guy.

Have fun, and rent a 29er while you're here. It will blow your mind on these trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink View Post
    Also, when passing riders going the opposite direction please don't ride off trail. I'm constantly amazed at how many people in Bend don't understand this simple concept. Please don't be that guy.
    So which guy should you be?

mtbr member
    So I've been out and ridden some trails around Bend; all stuff from the Wanoga Trail complex. It's a little sandy in spots but not as deep as I was expecting. Reminds me of riding in the Sierra but not as rocky (at least in The parts of Wanoga that I've been). So been rocking Specialized Ground Controls that I use at home. I haven't seen anything yet where I wished I had a beefier tire.

mtbr member
    Rode Tyler's today. Really, really fun trail. The best I've ridden here so far. And the most fun I've had on my MTB in a while. I could do laps all day and not get bored. Kiwa was also fun and flowy. Tons of traction there. Tyler's has some challenging rock gardens at the top for sure so it's a good mix. There are deep braking bumps on Tyler's but these are easily avoided by staying high about 1 tire width (still well on the trail thanks!). All those folks braking are missing all the fun of carrying speed and railing the berms. I was impressed at how much traction there was given how powdery everything was. I did almost lose the front end once but other than that I didn't have any problems with the Ground Controls. A more aggressive tire would have allowed me to rail a bit harder but since I had to climb out and back to Wanoga it would not have been worth it. If I could have shuttled, a more aggressive tire would probably have been worth it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    In Bend, where I spend about 2 months ever summer and shorter periods in the early summer and fall, I really like the combination of a Ground Control (F) and a Fast Trak (R). Running 2.3 front and rear on a HT.

mtbr member
    for trails like tiddlywinks a nobby nic works well. rolls quick, has grip for the sand. if you ride bachelor magic mary front and rear. if you want an inbetweener the minion dhf front and aggressor rear work well. any good mid knob works well on the trails. bachelor is where you want a deep aggressive knob