mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Bend in the Spring

I usually ride Bend a couple of times in the fall, but would like to do a spring ride this coming season. What would be the earliest I could expect Mrazek and Newberry type elevations to be open? Maybe the end of May? Some local input would be appreciated. Never too soon to plan next seasons trips.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    The trails you mention don't melt out until what I would call summer.

Mrazek is a really long trail, the upper parts that link into Farewell and Metolius Windigo don't melt out until June. Newberry is up at about 7,000 feet and doesn't melt out until late June/early July, same with the Bachee loop. I base these estimates off the cotamtb.org trailwork log and are of course subject to snowpack.

By the time those upper trails are rideable the lower trails of Phils network is in mid-summer moon dust season. Time of the year when I go to Oakridge or Hood River for my riding.

My suggestion would be not to miss the spring season which is anytime between late March and Memorial Day. Then you can enjoy the Phils network. You can ride from town and loop lower Mrazek to "the canal" over to Skyliner trail to Storm King. A great loop! Also Smith Rocks will be prime with desert flowers, great views and fast descents.

A trip in early summer should include Newberry, North Fork/Farewell and since you're coming down from WA hit some Hood River goods on the way home.

Hope that helps.
    Crash