Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Bend: South Fork bridge construction project

Please be advised the South Fork trail will have Forest Service and COTA crews working on a bridge replacement project Monday through Friday the week of Sept 14th – 18th.

Please avoid the South Fork trail during this time. The work crews will be working with heavy log moving equipment and do not need to be interrupted by trail users. There will also be a short relocation of the trail to better match the flow of the new bridge and given the dry conditions the trail will not benefit from trail users at this time. Please respect this request and use alternate routes in the area.

This project will replace a bridge that is collapsing due to age. The replacement will be done with a single log stringer which will be flattened on top to provide an 18” trail surface. The log will not have a handrail to facilitate riding for those that seek the challenge. This rideability of this bridge was important aspect negotiated and agreed to between the FS and COTA.

Your assistance is appreciated.
    Deschutes National Forest and Central Oregon Trail Alliance

Afric Pepperbird
    While I'd like to avoid this trail, I plan on riding Northfork/Flagline on tuesday, while coming down on South Fork. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I'll be doing this come hell or high water!

Will there be a temporary log crossing for me to cross? Or will I have to rock hop across this section? It is very narrow, after all, but a temp. plank would be ideal.

Thanks

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Is this the wide plank bridge near the bottom of the descent?

Afric Pepperbird
    I think so, Nat. The one with little red flags placed near it.

please, just ride
    So you would like us to build you your own personal crossing for Tuesday, stop what we are working on to let you pass on by and not block the trail with rigging and tools so we don't spoil your experience? No problem! Seriously, I understand your need to ride, but please choose another route if at all possible. We will have rigging, tools and equipment all over the trail as well as realigning the entries and exits. We really don't need to be distracted looking out for riders while we are working. Thanks for your consideration.- Chris Dodson, COTA

mtbr member
    DF,
    Okay that's one way to look at it. There's another way to look at it: Bend has how many trails, with how many loop options and you're going down South Fork, despite a polite request to avoid for a total of 5 days of summer. Could I suggest Swede/Rockless ridge this one time? There will not be a temp bridge, and yes it is really narrow and I'm sure you could clear it. If you come up short, there will be hardware nearby to pin your collarbone together if the workcrews are feeling generous. Thanks for your cooperation.

Nat,
    Yes, this is that wide plank bridge that is collapsing and leaning into South Fork of Tumalo Creek. Some of you have noticed a very large log all cleaned up and ready to be placed.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by SeenYour Crash
    Nat,
    Yes, this is that wide plank bridge that is collapsing and leaning into South Fork of Tumalo Creek. Some of you have noticed a very large log all cleaned up and ready to be placed.
    Ahhh, I did notice that large log last week and was wondering what would become of it. Wasn't that plank bridge fixed (or installed) only a few years ago, like 2004 or so? I seem to recall something like that. It's amazing how quickly things can wear out in the woods.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by seedy
    So you would like us to build you your own personal crossing for Tuesday, stop what we are working on to let you pass on by and not block the trail with rigging and tools so we don't spoil your experience? No problem! Seriously, I understand your need to ride, but please choose another route if at all possible. We will have rigging, tools and equipment all over the trail as well as realigning the entries and exits. We really don't need to be distracted looking out for riders while we are working. Thanks for your consideration.- Chris Dodson, COTA
    Gee, Sally, don't let your panties bundle up. That section of creek there is very narrow, it seems like a feasible option to wade it.

As to Mr. Kratsch, I suppose I can hold off this one time. But which genius decided to do it this week, in prime riding season, as opposed to say, November?

It's like replacing the Bachelor lifts over the Christmas holiday.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer
    Gee, Sally, don't let your panties bundle up. That section of creek there is very narrow, it seems like a feasible option to wade it.

As to Mr. Kratsch, I suppose I can hold off this one time. But which genius decided to do it this week, in prime riding season, as opposed to say, November?

I am with you on this one!! I wanted to hit it as well. Bummer!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

Afric Pepperbird
    By the way, as of two days ago, there was a downed tree across the trail, about a quarter mile or less up from the old bridge. Can you guys cut that out while you're at it?

Thanks

it means 'no problem'
    I'm speechless
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    DF -

you're spot on with the Mt B analogy. I was thinking there for a second you were serious about this being prime season. Then I thought what local goes to Mt B at Christmas. Dust Farmer, I agree with you. November is prime season!

This being a FS project, we're helping out as we are the primary benefactors of this work. The fact the trail is closed for a couple days before prime riding season seems like a good plan to me. I appreciate the kudos.

Thanks for the heads up on the down log, we'll get right on that.

Afric Pepperbird
    Thanks! I knew there was a reason I write you guys a check every year (while often pinching my nose!)

By the way, whatever happened to the old COTA website forum moderator who everyone wanted to axe because he wasn't stifling free speech in the forums? I think his name was Paul something, but that was a few years ago, I may be wrong. I hope he's still with you guys.

please, just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer

First of all DF, it's Nelly, not Sally. Second, my panties don't bunch up cuz I only wear a thong while riding and C, "prime riding season"?! Dust Farmer indeed. See you on the trail. Thanks for your support!

it means 'no problem'
    zoiks :-)
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

VP/ Terrain Designer
    y'all need to get back on yer 2 wheeled, fancy pants, travlin' contraptions, and RIDE!!!
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNick
    y'all need to get back on yer 2 wheeled, fancy pants, travlin' contraptions, and RIDE!!!
    True Dat! (Double true)

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNick
    Agreed! COTA's the only girl in town, so we may as well take her to the dance, no matter how ugly she may be.

And didn't Michael Jackson die for this? For all our bickering? Can't we all get along, white, black, (and whatever color he was?)

please, just ride
    C'mon, a little flamin' on the MTBR is good for the soul. No offense intended and none taken. By the way DF, the tree has been removed from the trail as of today. Let's ride sometime. I am open on weekdays, although I am busy this week got a date with the ugly girl. CD aka Nelly

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by seedy
    C'mon, a little flamin' on the MTBR is good for the soul. No offense intended and none taken. By the way DF, the tree has been removed from the trail as of today. Let's ride sometime. I am open on weekdays, although I am busy this week got a date with the ugly girl. CD aka Nelly
    Hey Seedy,

I'm not so sure DF, W3 and 1-29 actually ride... 'course, neither do I.

please, just ride
    Yeah, you all seem to spend a lot of time posting. Says the guy who's running this thread into the ground. I swear I saw you riding yesterday San Soucie, if that's what you want to call it. Still laughing about the BOB downhill bomb! CD

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie
    Hey Seedy,

I'm not so sure DF, W3 and 1-29 actually ride... 'course, neither do I.
    Going up 310, Upper Whoops, Sector, Swede, Flagline, etc... THIS AFTERNOON!!

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3
    Going up 310, Upper Whoops, Sector, Swede, Flagline, etc... THIS AFTERNOON!!
    Did you escape the rain? curious. We rode 2/3 of the way ccw around Mt. B and it never rained on us (wish it had - it's VERY dry up there.)

Seedy, no, I don't call THAT riding, I call it keeping BoB and "Mo" in check!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Photos

Here is a link to some photos from the bridge replacement project during the week and also treadwork and water management work on Sat. I thoroughly enjoyed working with the fine COTA folks on this project, all the hand tool work was a nice break from writing trail management plans (what I spend a lot of time doing these days).

Photos can be found here: http://picasaweb.google.com/traildyn...yF9vf8_7T4ywE#

Pual T. has a bit of follow up work on the ends for the qualifiers, but the bridge is in place and trail is open and ready for riders.

Woody Keen
    President- Trail Dynamics LLC
    President- Professional Trailbuilders Association
    Certified NC Clear Water Contractor

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie
    Did you escape the rain? curious. We rode 2/3 of the way ccw around Mt. B and it never rained on us (wish it had - it's VERY dry up there.)

Seedy, no, I don't call THAT riding, I call it keeping BoB and "Mo" in check!
    Not entirely! We need rain!!!! I was praying for rain while riding!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast