mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Bend single speed gearing and trail recommendations

I am headed out to bend for a week to mountain bike and trying to get everything lined up.

Gearing.
    Riding a 29er and usually geared at 32x20 or 32x19 in colorado (lots and lots of climbing)Any suggestions?

Any single speed ride or just great ride suggestions?
    Not worried about tough climbs, the more technical the better.
    Looking to ride somewhere in the 25-50 mile range each day.

I am trying to get some last minute training in for the single speed world championships but having fun is always more important than training!!

I am headed out by myself so if anyone needs someone to ride with or does not mind being a tour guide or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!! I will buy the beer

I already did some searches on rides but wanted to ask as well.

Thanks in advance!!!

Keep Singletrack Single
    I ride a 29er SS with a 32x18 set-up in Bend... I can climb any of our trails... There are some days that a 32x19 sounds good!! Get an Adventure Map at one of our local bike shops.. Since you are into SS, visit Webcyclery! http://www.webcyclery.com

Happy Riding!!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My singlespeed is set up 34/16, on a 26er. A little bigger than 2/1cause there is a lot of fast pedally trail riding. I don't mind low cadence (or walking) on the steeper stuff for good gearing on the flats and downhill.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Gear higher than you would use for "typical" Colorado terrain by maybe 2-3 teeth in the rear..

love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007
    I ran 35/16 on a 26er and was pretty happy with it on lower Phil's. Not too much oofage on climbs, not too much spinning on the downs.

Bike got stolen last year though; still have an extra 8 speed chain if anyone needs it for their SS.

My Ass is My Pilot
    Well Cbrock I have a 29er here in Bend for 2 1/2 yrs all running 34x18. Works really well...
    B.O.S/S Shampoo Now with More No More Gears! 34/18
    Ride With B.O.S/S

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I guess I'm a wuss (weekend warrior really though).
    I put in a second option last week, and am now running Dingle with the following; 32-22 for longer climbs, and 34-20 for the rest of the ride.

All the trails here are single speedable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i like 32X18 for around here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just got here this afternoon and swapped my bike out to 32X18.
    Thanks for the info!!!

My parents picked up a map for me and you guys are spoiled!!!
    There are so many options that i am sitting here with 4 different highlighters trying to trace together the loops some people have been nice enough to recommend!!
    Looks like i should have a big day tomorrow.

mhk
    beer horse

32x18 here too

for a guy usually running a 19 on the back in WV. So far so good, although I haven't ridden a whole lot of elevation change yet.

Today I rode from Sunriver down Deschutes to Storm King, but didn't have a lot of time to dally, so I had to turn back. Tomorrow I'll be in Bend for non riding reasons, so my plan is to bring my bike along and ride back up through Phils in the most meandering way feasible, probably linking back to DRT at Aspen then back to Sunriver (was thinking 3.5 hours or so).

I know this is short notice, but any route suggestions would be appreciated. It's hard to figure out what to order when looking at a menu that is the Central OR trail map.

It was a beautiful day on stunning terrain; I feel lucky to be here.
    Yeah, well . . . that's just, you know, like . . . your opinion, man. --The Dude

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by mhk
    for a guy usually running a 19 on the back in WV. So far so good, although I haven't ridden a whole lot of elevation change yet.

Today I rode from Sunriver down Deschutes to Storm King, but didn't have a lot of time to dally, so I had to turn back. Tomorrow I'll be in Bend for non riding reasons, so my plan is to bring my bike along and ride back up through Phils in the most meandering way feasible, probably linking back to DRT at Aspen then back to Sunriver (was thinking 3.5 hours or so).

I know this is short notice, but any route suggestions would be appreciated. It's hard to figure out what to order when looking at a menu that is the Central OR trail map.

It was a beautiful day on stunning terrain; I feel lucky to be here.
    It's hard to estimate elapsed time without knowing how fast you ride, but...

How about Phil's TH > Ben's > FS 300 > Phil's to helipad > Storm King > DRT > Sunriver?

That route would give you gradual, moderate climbing with only a short, steep 1 mile stretch approaching helipad. In my head I'm estimating 20 miles. Storm King from helipad to the highway is my favorite trail in the fall, when it's time to wind down the season. The leaves aren't turning quite yet, but it's still a nice section.

If you're faster, more ambitious, and want more climbing, how about Phil's TH > Ben's > FS adjacent to Whoops > Skyliner > Swede Ridge > Swampy > highway short distance > Wanoga > Funner > Storm King > DRT > Sunriver?

This route gives you a bigger elevation change to get up Swede Ridge to Swampy Lakes and put you up into the mid-elevation trails, which are much nicer than the Phil's triangle stuff. I'd estimate 30 miles.

mhk
    beer horse
    After starting downtown with a couple pints' worth of carbo loading, I went up Galveston to the Phil's system and basically took Phil's trail all the way to the Helipad. I was thinking the 18 on the back might not be enough gear until that climb approaching the helipad, which left me knackered. Was missing my 19 soon after starting that climb, hiking a bit, getting jammed up on the sections both rocky and steep. I must say I didn't see a lot of footprints, which shamed me some. Maybe the tracks were all going down, but I was concentrating too much on breathing to see clearly.

Then took Storm King to Aspen on the DRT and back to circle 7 in Sunriver, which was just over three hours. Not particularly fast riding, but not a lot of stopping. It was swoopy and flowy, much different from the the typical Northcentral WV ride. I had a huge grin on my face descending from the helipad what seemed like all the way to the DRT--even let out a WHOOP because I just couldn't help myself.

That dust gets into every crevice, that's for sure, whether covered by clothing or not. A small price to pay, it seems like.

Thanks for the information, everyone. Very friendly, happy riders out on the trail today, which was another beautiful one.

I'm going to try out the upper trails later on this week and maybe the Lava/Sparks Lakes loop. Anything else comes to mind, please pass it on.
    Yeah, well . . . that's just, you know, like . . . your opinion, man. --The Dude

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by mhk
    I'm going to try out the upper trails later on this week and maybe the Lava/Sparks Lakes loop. Anything else comes to mind, please pass it on.
    You might also consider parking at Dutchman Sno-Park, then riding Bachelor Connector > Metolius/Windigo > FS 370 past Todd Lake > Broken Top TH > Metolius/Windigo > Dutchman.

It looks like much of this:
    It's not always greener on the other side

Another option is to do Bachelor > Lava Lake > Edison Sno-Park.

Do you have two vehicles or would you be able to get dropped off?

Edit: The following loop would be a bit longer and harder, but even more rewarding as it hits some of the finest riding in Central OR. I'm guessing it would take you about 5 hours. Since you're coming from Sunriver, park at the Dutchman Sno-Park, then ride:

Dutchman > Flagline > South Fork > North Fork > Metolius/Windigo > Dutchman
    Last edited by Nat; 09-09-2009 at 08:00 AM.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat

Dutchman > Flagline > South Fork > North Fork > Metolius/Windigo > Dutchman
    That's the ride I wish we'd done on Labor Day. Mrazek was a bit dusty, but the high country was awesome.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I rode up Phil's Trail

To helipad in mostly the big ring. It was a bit*ch but I gutted it out. Go big for a lot of the riding.

Jaybo
    Last edited by Jaybo; 09-22-2009 at 06:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I save my big ring for the down hill.... especially above Swampy.
    Oh wait, this is about singles, not dingles.

If you are feeling ambitious, you could always park at Phil's, cut over Razzle Dazzle to Mrazek, and up up up over Windigo Metolious, to Flagline, and back down the Phil's side of things.

If we catch a wee bit more wee (I mean rain), Paulina Rim trail should be considered.