mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Bend run worth it?

Hi guys! Just moved up to PdX area from SoCal in November (great timing...worst winter in decades), and I'm really feeling like getting a break from the slop fest. Have a day off Wednesday, and thinking bout running down to Bend for a quick ride.

I know lots of the goods are still snowed in...the question is, are there sufficient trails in bend, Cline Butte, or wherever which are rideable and have good features (small to med jumps, drops, tech) to make the trip worth it, or do I stay put and do another sloppy ride? I've never had the pleasure of riding Bend before, but have heard it is amazing.

Another tangentially related question...any good vegetarian friendly restaurants in Bend? I've read up a little on the interwebz but firsthand data is always better...

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to patronizing the area soon! If you see a 7footer on a 36 lb steel 29+ Fs bike, say hi!

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I don't live there but generally you want BendTrails for day-to-day updates. Lots of black diamond riding out east at places like Horse Ridge, Cline Butte. Just saw a photo on Instagram from BendTrails saying Horse Ridge in particular was riding great.

If you've never ridden it, Phil's Canyon is a hoot at speed if you hit everything, and reports say it is rideable. Most of the other technical trails in the Phil's network are closed (Grand Slam, COD) due to the ongoing restoration project. There's more details about that in this stickied post from the Deschutes Forest Collaborative.

For food I'm partial to Spork which is a good price for excellent food. My wife prefers vegetarian / dairy free and she's always happy there. Kebab, right across the street, is also good.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Yes, Horse Ridge has been pretty fun lately and Lower Phil's is good to go too. I've heard from others that Peterson Ridge in Sisters is also riding great.

I liked the vegetarian options at Broken Top Bottle Shop a lot.

The eggplant/tofu at Noi Thai is incredible.

The Khao Soi curry with tofu at Wild Rose Thai is fantastic.

Other vegetarian that I've liked but don't get super excited about:
    Next Level Burger
    Laughing Planet

Edit: since you've never ridden in Bend before, try to reserve judgement until you've explored the higher elevation terrain. People always seem to ride Lower Phil's then complain about their visit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks guys! Do you think it is worth the drive given what is open now? I'm a big Sandy Ridge fan, to give you an idea of what type of riding I like, although coming from SoCal, I definitely like natural stuff with stiff climbs too....

mtbr member
    I'm not sure its worth the trip right now unless you are really wanting to ride some dry trails. Horse Ridge is fun for techy rock trails, but the downhill sections aren't very long for the amount of climbing required. Lower Phil's is running great right now, but its more cross country style and not super exciting. You could climb Ben's and come down Phil's canyon, then hang a right at the chicken and go over to Marvin's Garden for a little extra fun. Kent's is also fun to come down, but you have to yield to uphill riders where Phil's is a one way trail.
    Like Nat said, you should check out some of the upper trails like Funner, Tiddly Winks, and Tyler's Traverse, once they are clear to see what Bend really has to offer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post
    I'm a big Sandy Ridge fan, to give you an idea
    So... if you're talking about Rock Drop, TNT/Little Monkey, Two Turntables, or the jumps on QPF, then you'll probably be happier when Whoops, Funner, Tiddlywinks and Tyler's open up. If you're talking about Laura's, 338, Flow Motion, or the narrow stuff on QPF, or then you'll be happy in lower Phil's. If you're talking about the tech section on QPF then probably Grand Slam, COD, when they are open. If you're talking about Follow the Leader then you just need to keep looking.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Thanks guys! Do you think it is worth the drive given what is open now? I'm a big Sandy Ridge fan, to give you an idea of what type of riding I like, although coming from SoCal, I definitely like natural stuff with stiff climbs too....

You'd be looking at about 7 hours of driving for limited cross-country style trail access. How desperate are you?

Actually Gray Butte near Smith Rock State Park might be something to consider. It's one hour less driving each way coming over past Mt. Hood. The trails are also cross-country style but at least you'd have some gorgeous outward views. Just don't go if there's any rain. The forecast shows 40% chance in the mid-afternoon so if you ride, be finished early (you've been warned).

https://bendtrails.org/trail/smith-rockgray-butte/

Afric Pepperbird
    I wouldn't make the trip.

What are the Syncline conditions? I'd give that a thought.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    So... if you're talking about Rock Drop, TNT/Little Monkey, Two Turntables, or the jumps on QPF, then you'll probably be happier when Whoops, Funner, Tiddlywinks and Tyler's open up. If you're talking about Laura's, 338, Flow Motion, or the narrow stuff on QPF, or then you'll be happy in lower Phil's. If you're talking about the tech section on QPF then probably Grand Slam, COD, when they are open. If you're talking about Follow the Leader then you just need to keep looking.
    Yes...except TNT

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    You'd be looking at about 7 hours of driving for limited cross-country style trail access. How desperate are you?

Actually Gray Butte near Smith Rock State Park might be something to consider. It's one hour less driving each way coming over past Mt. Hood. The trails are also cross-country style but at least you'd have some gorgeous outward views. Just don't go if there's any rain. The forecast shows 40% chance in the mid-afternoon so if you ride, be finished early (you've been warned).

https://bendtrails.org/trail/smith-rockgray-butte/
    Thanks for the tip! I'm now leaning toward Syncline or something closer, since it's looking dry for the first half of tomorrow...definitely gonna head down when the higher stuff is open

mtbr member
    FYI

COD is open all the way to SK including rockstacker and the other 2 black spurs. NOT open on weekdays

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Nice! I ended using bailing on driving (probly 2.5 hrs from where I'm staying in Sandy) and hit Sandy Ridge...had a glorious 2 hr dry ride and just started to get rained on at little monkey...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Does COD have jumps and drops too or "just" tech? I like all those and smooth bermy stuff

Nat
    mtbr member
    Does COD have jumps and drops too or "just" tech? I like all those and smooth bermy stuff

COD is mostly chunky rock. Well, I guess the upper portion is smooth singletrack but I'm guessing it's not the flavor of smooth singletrack you're wanting; It's more classic trail without berms.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Cool...I like old school tech too (most SoCal trails are that way) Will definitely hit that one when I can make it down