Bicla
    Aug 2005

Bend, OR Rides???????????

Looking to do a Summer Mtn Biking trip to Bend, OR (weighing vs. Park City, UT). Any thoughts and recommendations? Seems like all the Bend, OR trail postings on MTBR are old.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by javierge
    Looking to do a Summer Mtn Biking trip to Bend, OR (weighing vs. Park City, UT). Any thoughts and recommendations? Seems like all the Bend, OR trail postings on MTBR are old.
    Thanks
    I live in Oregon and have been riding the Bend area trails every year over the past +5yrs and there is plenty of trail to choose from, but most trails turn into a "dust bowl" come summer time. You have to hover high up around 6-7k' to avoid the dust that time of year and a good part of the trail doesn't open up til 8/15 every year due to elk calving season.

I haven't ridden Park City, but from looking at many pics and been high up in the canyons out of SLC, I would opt for Park City, especially summertime for more high alt/sub-alpine type riding. The Wasatch Crest trail has been on my wish list for sometime now. Hope this helps.

Oregon trails are excellent, but not the greatest conditions of most of the trails in Bend area come summertime or any other trails east of the Cascade mountains for that matter, unless you hit it early in the summer season right after the last snow melts and the trails have been maintained.

JG
    Ride On!

Singletrack Addict
    I had a great mountain biking trip to PC a couple of years ago. Big mountains: on one ride we reached nearly 10000 feet in elevation. Won't get anywhere near that in Bend (since bikes are not allowed in Wilderness and anything over 10K is in Wilderness in Oregon), but you will find a great deal more variety and if you include the Oakridge area, we are talking about HUNDREDS of miles of singletrack from steeply tilted mountains to flowy river trails and pleasant lake-side jaunts.

Park City will offer much finer restaurants, night life and maybe a celebrity sighting that you won't experience out here, so you'll have to decide where your priorities lie.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I'd go to P.C. for the higher elevation riding, but then I live in Bend so it's not a destination for me any longer.

If you do decide to come to Bend then post a week or two before you come for current trail suggestions. The best choices depend on current conditions as they change rapidly.

Utah would be the best state in the nation if it weren't for the ________.

Toby Wong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Square edges?
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

Singletrack Addict

Cryptogamic soil?

mtbr member
    I've ridden PC in the summer and its a blast. The dust in Bend in the summer time is not something to take lightly. If Oregon is being chosen as a summer destination I would suggest the Oakridge area. That said Oakridge is near the bottom of the pile culturally in Oregon, so don't expect to swill micro brews and stroll through a scenic downtown after your rides. PC riding is definitely more populated and manicured around ski areas, so you won't get the wilderness feelings you do on rides in the Cascades, but Snake is right our trails top out elevation wise where they begin in PC.

mtbr member
    I'd go to P.C. for the higher elevation riding, but then I live in Bend so it's not a destination for me any longer.

If you do decide to come to Bend then post a week or two before you come for current trail suggestions. The best choices depend on current conditions as they change rapidly.

Utah would be the best state in the nation if it weren't for the ____3.2%____.
    Yep, got that right ; )

mtbr member
    Saying you are coming to Bend can be a vague idea that you are going to be riding ALL around the Bend area. Yes, there is dust on the trails outside of town - but the riding near Waldo Lake is fantastic, McKenzie River Trail is always good and hell, doing a day or two from the mountains to town is worth some dust. There is a reason the riding in/around Bend is talked about - come check it out!
    And posting before you come is a great idea, summer is many months, so there are always different places to ride. Hell, there will even be some downhill riding right outside of town by mid-summer!
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Stay away from Bend. It sucks!

The real estate market is the most over valued in the nation! You can't lose with either choice, but Bend does turn into a dust bowel by early July or earlier. I agree that Oakridge may be a better choice--just ask the Disciples of Barbie. Oh, Hood River area really sucks! The riding sucks, rattlesnakes are everywhere, and the ticks will eat you alive and leave you with Lyme disease.

Jaybo

My Ass is My Pilot
    Don't come to Bend. All the sun will give you CANCER. And the miles of smiles will give you crows feet on your face.
    B.O.S/S Shampoo Now with More No More Gears! 34/18
    Ride With B.O.S/S

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by ashpioletrev
    Don't come to Bend. All the sun will give you CANCER. And the miles of smiles will give you crows feet on your face.
    I thought you got cancer if your girlfriend didn't let you get to 3rd base. Or does that not work any more?

Bicla
    Aug 2005
    Sounds like Park City to me!! Don't care about how pretty the town is, just about how good the riding will be overall.

Thanks for all the postings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

my .02

I have lived in both places. ( now in Bend) PC gets awful dusty ( moon dust) late in the summer as well. I liked living there < 5 hours to Moab, Sun Valley, Jackson Hole. Wasatch Crest is epic.

Bend is a blast. There are not as many long sustained climbs like in the Wasatch. Altitude is not a problem here. McKenzie River trail is also epic. We have 6 breweries vs Park City Brewery.

congrats on a tough decision that you can't choose wrong.

it's all good

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    oops forgot this http://cotamtb.com/trails/

You will notice a "migration" of trails that open. Starting in the high desert areas East of Bend, then in the hills West of Bend, then over the Cascades on the rainy Western slope.