Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Bend question for next week

Watch out, I'll be back...
    Been watching the blow down thread and must firstly say thank you to all. We had a rough year up here in WA as well and been logging out a lot more than usual it seems. Heavy late snows means the high country is still snowed in but already dry and dusty low just like there.
    Questions: I heard rumor about needing a permit to camp out in Phil's now??? Does the FS require one?
    Second: Fires, in the past, we've always had a small camp fire. Not sure with the latest blazes and the dry conditions if that is possible this year.
    Third: Also another rumor about the gate at Phil's following Marvin's is closed now?
    Fourth: And this should be the hardest one. I have a friend coming over from Italy and wants to rent a bike. I usually just go to Hutch's on Galveston for anything since they are so close. But.... opinions? (He has a 9er Transition Trans-Am he took back to Italy as his main bike.)
    Fifth: Saw a post about riding Flagline this past week. Already open?

Thanks! Hope they have the Mahi-Mahi burritos on the menu at the BBC this time....

mtbr member
    I can only answer the fourth question. I like Pine Mountain for rentals. They're right under the office for Cog Wild shuttles. Also I've never rented from them but Crows Feet is just a cool scene (coffee, beer, bikes all in one place).

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I second Pine Mountain for rental bikes.

No way on the whole of Flagline. The very last segment of Flagline below the Flagline Tie intersection, which is open and rideable, has no snow but there was still blowdown two days ago. The higher elevations on this trail are sure to have deep snow still. Besides, it's still closed until August 15th.

Not sure how the FS decides when to open that gate. Some days it's open, some days it's closed. I've always wondered about what determines its status.

I haven't heard anything about camping permits and fire bans but given the sketchy nature of this season I wouldn't be surprised (or displeased). I know your crew would be extra careful with your fire if you choose to have one.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Borneo, PM sent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I recent visitor rented a Specialized Epic with XX1 from Hutch's. Pretty nice bike for a rental and plenty of bike for the dirt in Bend IMHO.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004

Bend question for next week

Webcyclery for rentals also.

Borneo, returning your patch?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Follow up. Friend rented at the West side Hutch's and it went well. Apparently a good deal for him too. 5 days, a couple of them rather wet, but the Ben's/310/Skyliners/Farewell/Mrazek/crossovers/Ben's loop Saturday was pretty darn awesome. (Yes, we out of towners ride it the "right" clockwise way...) Got to ride Tyler's for the first time after the first rain on Friday and darn fun I say. Nice to have downs like that mixed with "old school" ones like S Fk as well. Logged a boat load of "Bend miles" each day (148 total without much repeating at all) and have to say thank you all again for all the work you do down there. Lots of logging out this year. Biggest puddles were on Sector on Friday. (Love that trail. So tight and tech at speed.)
    If there was one downer, it was the apparent rise in the quantity of uptight, pick your local bike shop team kit wearing stravasses who seem to feel they own the trail. Either up or down.... Usually solo and with ear buds in. Total douchebags. Cool thing was, there were none to be seen on Sunday while all apparently over at Pickett's. Heard from a few kind locals that they kind of felt that way too...
    Nope, ACREE, it's in the wild where it belongs. Though I did tell a couple lost kids on Storm King looking for the demo shuttle yesterday, once re-directed, to tell Mel I said hello.
    Nice to be in town during the bite so that was a nice distraction as well. Bummed that the BBC doesn't have the Mahi-Mahi burrito anymore though...... Until next year. Unless I go back to the Blues/La Grande/Baker City area again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sorry that you ran into some Strava punks, but certainly cool that you had a good time riding the Bend dirt. Gonna say though, I ride Bend dirt all the time and really can't say that I have encountered many trail asses. Quite the opposite actually. Were you expecting a conversation and they didn't reciprocate, or were they actually running you off the trail?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    They just never yielded or barely acknowledged we were there if at all. Like a game of singletrack "chicken"... Maybe 2-3 each day. Seemed like all had (name your local Bend bike shop here) jerseys. All the way from Mrazek to Tyler's and the DRT and in-between. We did run into many nice locals and folks from as far as Scotland up at the Shooting Star though and that's always cool. Just one small on the trail downer I had not really noticed in the 14 years I have been going there.

Another note: there's another thread leaning towards this but we were all wondering why Ben's and Phil's couldn't alternate up/down days. Sure seems like a damn shame seeing all those sweet berms and those few tables on Ben's going to waste now. Though it was nice going down the canyon without worrying about uphill traffic for a change...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am bummed about the one-way trails in general. I loved flying down Bens in the middle of the week when there were few other riders on the trails. However, Bens is far less washed out now that it is UH only. And, going a good clip up Bens is tons of fun too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yeah, not a fan of the recent cattle corralling. I don't spend much time in the immediate genesis of the Phil's complex, but I do find it annoying that once I dispatch with lower Whoops I have to peddle up a forest service road to get on Phil's….and I don't much like having to tag Express/Voodoo….whatever the heck it is….to jump on the two-way section of Phil's to get to Paul's. Whatever. It's a small gripe. I suppose something had to be done. Bend's local herd isn't getting any smaller….until the next bubble burst anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    We also found ourselves riding Storm King a bunch to get to the south side trails. We went through the SK/COD junction 4-5 times. Seems like the main 2 way over there and had plenty of traffic. Something from Upper Whoops/the bench, or Shooting Star South to Wanoga instead of Sector would be cool. I know there are ski roads across there. I have found having odd numbered connectors really helps with creating loops. Lots of traffic from the Swampy shuttles across Sector too. Does seem like Kent's would have been a better 1 way with being able to just bomb out of LW right across the road into Ben's... But, I am sure there was plenty of thought into it. ODP? Does anyone take care of it or really ride it anymore? Didn't seem like it had much traffic on it compared to COD.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    If there was one downer, it was the apparent rise in the quantity of uptight, pick your local bike shop team kit wearing stravasses who seem to feel they own the trail. Either up or down....
    If they were heading up, they would have the right of way. In that case it was your responsibility to get out of their way. However, no excuses for those who did not yield coming downhill...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drunberg View Post
    If they were heading up, they would have the right of way. In that case it was your responsibility to get out of their way. However, no excuses for those who did not yield coming downhill...
    Yeah, we were all well aware of that. And, always pulled over. But, it was the, "I'm going straight up the trail, F you." attitude that I don't usually see up here....

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    "I'm going straight up the trail, F you." attitude.
    If a downhill rider pulls over and yields to the uphill rider, there should be no issue with the uphill rider staying in the middle of the trail. In fact, that is ideal, as the goal is to keep single track single.

Sorry you felt like those riders were rude.

As long as folks are following the rules of the trail, there is no issue going fast... fast=fun. Dont always assume some dude/ or lady that passes you on the trail is a "douchebag". They are probably out trying to have a good time, just like you.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Dont always assume some dude/ or lady that passes you on the trail is a "douchebag". They are probably out trying to have a good time, just like you.[/QUOTE]

There was no "fun" being had by these guys. No smiles, no acknowledgement, no "thank you"... And, all 6-9 riders in our group depending on the day felt the same way. Good news is these people are in the far minority there. We just thought it was odd so have so many in one trip as this has not been an issue in the past.

Which shop do you ride for...?

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Wait, so you can definitively judge whether or not someone you meet on the trail is having "fun" based purely on your impression?

Next time I ride, I'll be sure and check with you to see if I had fun.

Dont always assume some dude/ or lady that passes you on the trail is a "douchebag". They are probably out trying to have a good time, just like you.
    There was no "fun" being had by these guys. No smiles, no acknowledgement, no "thank you"... And, all 6-9 riders in our group depending on the day felt the same way. Good news is these people are in the far minority there. We just thought it was odd so have so many in one trip as this has not been an issue in the past.

Which shop do you ride for...? [/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I always have less fun when confronting a big group of out of town riders who think they own the trail.

That said, strava competitiveness shouldn't mean being a jerk on the trails. At least you didn't run into any e-bikes, we had that on plains of abe on sunday...

mtbr member
    There were plenty of ass-holes before Strava. I use Strava on every ride, and pull over often while climbing, if the descender is in a fun downhill section.

Remember that there are a lot of out-of-towners in town this time of year. No way to know if they are local or not, so shouldn't assume. The locals know the rules for the most part, and ride these trails weekly, so are not on a mission to kill everything pined on every ride.

EDIT: If I'm climbing, and I make eye contact with the descender, I keep riding forward. I hate when both people stop. The descender stops/pulls when in a good spot, and the climber picks up pace and clears out, so we can both keep riding!
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No reason to take one small part of an otherwise awesome trip and make a big deal out of it. Just an observation we had, backed up by other locals we talked to. We always pulled over for any climbers and 6-9 doesn't seem like a big group to me. But, YMMV. And, I doubt any out of towners roll in full local bike shop kits...

Anyways, fun time as always overall. Won't keep us from coming back.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    What I've noticed is that bikers really don't like it when a trail runner takes the ROW.

Afric Pepperbird
    Speaking of the Strava-obsessed, where has Willem been lately?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Another thing to consider when someone takes the right away and just hammers by is that it could very well be a local that is out for a ride during a workday and needs to get back to making a living. However, that doesn't excuse not making an effort to even say 'hi' IMO.

Xtreme Lounger
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Speaking of the Strava-obsessed, where has Willem been lately?
    Once the Two Bulls Fire reward crossed the $40k mark, I couldn't help myself. In a moment of blind greed, I dropped Willems name to the investigators. I initially felt really awful about it, but I'm finding the money is really helping me to cope. In fact, until you posted this, I completely forgot about it. Too busy counting my money.

But seriously, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he's logging monster miles and doesn't have time for this thread of drivel.

EDIT: My apologies to the OP - I thought I was in the 2014 Blow Down thread. Oops.
    Last edited by steiny; 07-01-2014 at 03:12 PM. Reason: splelling

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    Once the Two Bulls Fire reward crossed the $40k mark, I couldn't help myself. In a moment of blind greed, I dropped Willems name to the investigators. I initially felt really awful about it, but I'm finding the money is really helping me to cope. In fact, until you posted this, I completely forgot about it. Too busy counting my money.
    Ok, this seriously made me LOL!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast