Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,874

    Bend people...some questions

    My wife is heading down to Redmond tomorrow at a school who seems to want her down there pretty badly...so were thinking of moving from PDX to the Redmond/Bend area. She would be working at a school that's just about equidistant from Bend and Redmond. Were relative newcomers here on the west coast and don't know that area very well at all. We're going to start making trips down there to scope the area out for housing.

    Any recommendations you all can make as far as "decent" neighborhoods we might want to check out would be greatly appreciated. "Decent" in my case means that the home would be located relatively close to some good trails (say 20 min max) and not be more than an hours drive from Bachelor. Oh, and has to have high speed internet coverage and a good cell signal as I telecommute to DC

    Thanks for any help you can provide.

  2. #2
    Gittyup!
    Reputation: SLinBend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    528
    All depends on your price point. Based on your desired approximation to Bachelor and trails, living in Bend will be your best bet. Bend is the closest to the majority of the trails in Central Oregon. But real estate here right now is just stupid. If you want to ride your bike to the trailhead (which is soooooo nice), you're looking at the West side of town. Homes there start at around 370k at best, and you won't get much at that price point. There are lots of developers putting up homes on the SW side of town that would be in the lower 300's. Decent neighborhoods w/ decent access to trails (10 minutes or less) and pretty darn good access to Bachie (less than 30 minutes). There is a real nice neighborhood on the NE side of town off of Cooley Road (used to live there... damn I wish we would have held on to that place... would have made a fortune!) 10 minute drive to the west side trail system, or easy access to road bike rides right across hwy 20. That would be the best for your wife from a commuting standpoint as well. Prices will be in the high 2's (maybe) but more likely low 3's. Tumalo is right between Bend and Redmond, but prices there have skyrocketed. You'd be lucky to get something for under 5. Beautiful land though.

    If not Bend, you're looking at Redmond. 30 minutes from the Phil's Trail system, but about 20 minutes to Smith Rock which has great early season riding and awesome hiking/climbing. 45 minutes, give or take, to the mountain. Prices will be a bit cheaper, but as of late, it's really catching up to Bend-level insanity.

    Best thing to do is just call a realtor and have them drive you around to get a feel for the neighborhoods. I can recommend one if you'd like. Just PM me (she's an avid biker too, so she'll be able to relate w/ your desire to be close to trails

    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    My wife is heading down to Redmond tomorrow at a school who seems to want her down there pretty badly...so were thinking of moving from PDX to the Redmond/Bend area. She would be working at a school that's just about equidistant from Bend and Redmond. Were relative newcomers here on the west coast and don't know that area very well at all. We're going to start making trips down there to scope the area out for housing.

    Any recommendations you all can make as far as "decent" neighborhoods we might want to check out would be greatly appreciated. "Decent" in my case means that the home would be located relatively close to some good trails (say 20 min max) and not be more than an hours drive from Bachelor. Oh, and has to have high speed internet coverage and a good cell signal as I telecommute to DC

    Thanks for any help you can provide.

  3. #3
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,874
    Quote Originally Posted by SLinBend
    All depends on your price point. Based on your desired approximation to Bachelor and trails, living in Bend will be your best bet. Bend is the closest to the majority of the trails in Central Oregon. But real estate here right now is just stupid. If you want to ride your bike to the trailhead (which is soooooo nice), you're looking at the West side of town. Homes there start at around 370k at best, and you won't get much at that price point. There are lots of developers putting up homes on the SW side of town that would be in the lower 300's. Decent neighborhoods w/ decent access to trails (10 minutes or less) and pretty darn good access to Bachie (less than 30 minutes). There is a real nice neighborhood on the NE side of town off of Cooley Road (used to live there... damn I wish we would have held on to that place... would have made a fortune!) 10 minute drive to the west side trail system, or easy access to road bike rides right across hwy 20. That would be the best for your wife from a commuting standpoint as well. Prices will be in the high 2's (maybe) but more likely low 3's. Tumalo is right between Bend and Redmond, but prices there have skyrocketed. You'd be lucky to get something for under 5. Beautiful land though.

    If not Bend, you're looking at Redmond. 30 minutes from the Phil's Trail system, but about 20 minutes to Smith Rock which has great early season riding and awesome hiking/climbing. 45 minutes, give or take, to the mountain. Prices will be a bit cheaper, but as of late, it's really catching up to Bend-level insanity.

    Best thing to do is just call a realtor and have them drive you around to get a feel for the neighborhoods. I can recommend one if you'd like. Just PM me (she's an avid biker too, so she'll be able to relate w/ your desire to be close to trails
    Yikes! That's a bit pricier than I was hoping. I'll definitely hit you up with a PM in a few weeks when we start taking trips down there. Having a RE agent who knows about the good riding spots is a total bonus. The agent we had when buying this place in PDX was a total knucklehead.

    Thanks for the info!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    44
    As far as Bend goes, you will get a lot more house for the money on the east side of town, and it is probably an easier commute for your wife to the school. Downside is that it takes 5-10 min longer to get to Bachelor than it would from the west side, and its a little farther from the trails. I like the east side though, I grew up there so I'm biased.

  5. #5
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,874
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmike
    As far as Bend goes, you will get a lot more house for the money on the east side of town, and it is probably an easier commute for your wife to the school. Downside is that it takes 5-10 min longer to get to Bachelor than it would from the west side, and its a little farther from the trails. I like the east side though, I grew up there so I'm biased.
    I was looking at the MLS listings today and that completely seems to be the case. Still, I can't believe how much prices have risen in just 6 months. I just need to find a neighborhood map somewhere so I can get my bearings while looking through MLS.

    I may encourage my wife to look for jobs a few hours southwest as well...Ashland/Meford area.

  6. #6
    Toby Wong?
    Reputation: Tappoix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,309
    link to neighborhoods and developments
    http://www.bendhomes.com/apps/pbcs.d...MES02/50408001

    Westside, baby.
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ryebread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    My wife is heading down to Redmond tomorrow at a school who seems to want her down there pretty badly...so were thinking of moving from PDX to the Redmond/Bend area. She would be working at a school that's just about equidistant from Bend and Redmond. Were relative newcomers here on the west coast and don't know that area very well at all. We're going to start making trips down there to scope the area out for housing.

    Any recommendations you all can make as far as "decent" neighborhoods we might want to check out would be greatly appreciated. "Decent" in my case means that the home would be located relatively close to some good trails (say 20 min max) and not be more than an hours drive from Bachelor. Oh, and has to have high speed internet coverage and a good cell signal as I telecommute to DC

    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    I moved here alomost exactly one year ago and wish to all thats holy that we had bought a house immediately upon arrival. My girl and I looked for about 1 1/2 months and got outbid everytime. Once by a person with cash. CASH for a house! We would go out with our realtor to look at houses and come back furious with what we saw in our price range. We got priced out and had to buy in Redmond a month ago. Its not bad - just different - and Redmonds only gonna get better. Unfortunately, Phil's isn't going to get any closer.
    Why do you talk to me this way. When you know that I will kill you for this?

  8. #8
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryebread
    I moved here alomost exactly one year ago and wish to all thats holy that we had bought a house immediately upon arrival. My girl and I looked for about 1 1/2 months and got outbid everytime. Once by a person with cash. CASH for a house! We would go out with our realtor to look at houses and come back furious with what we saw in our price range. We got priced out and had to buy in Redmond a month ago. Its not bad - just different - and Redmonds only gonna get better. Unfortunately, Phil's isn't going to get any closer.
    I was in the same situation when my wife and I moved to Portland last year. We were out here for four days looking at houses (saw over 20 on the first day) and were outbid six times, retracted an offer once (after seeing the rest of the hood) and needless to say, aren't exactly happy with where we ended up. It's still a tough market and it seems that people aren't selling the houses so quickly now that the rates have gone up, but the pricing in most areas we've seen isn't exactly attractive.

    After spending the better part of this morning on MLS, I don't think we can afford Bend with so many ~1000 sq/ft houses getting near 300K. That's a little nuts and out of our bracket.

  9. #9
    Making fat cool since '71
    Reputation: ImaKlyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,828

    yep...

    Quote Originally Posted by SLinBend
    All depends on your price point. Based on your desired approximation to Bachelor and trails, living in Bend will be your best bet. Bend is the closest to the majority of the trails in Central Oregon. But real estate here right now is just stupid. If you want to ride your bike to the trailhead (which is soooooo nice), you're looking at the West side of town. Homes there start at around 370k at best, and you won't get much at that price point. There are lots of developers putting up homes on the SW side of town that would be in the lower 300's. Decent neighborhoods w/ decent access to trails (10 minutes or less) and pretty darn good access to Bachie (less than 30 minutes). There is a real nice neighborhood on the NE side of town off of Cooley Road (used to live there... damn I wish we would have held on to that place... would have made a fortune!) 10 minute drive to the west side trail system, or easy access to road bike rides right across hwy 20. That would be the best for your wife from a commuting standpoint as well. Prices will be in the high 2's (maybe) but more likely low 3's. Tumalo is right between Bend and Redmond, but prices there have skyrocketed. You'd be lucky to get something for under 5. Beautiful land though.

    If not Bend, you're looking at Redmond. 30 minutes from the Phil's Trail system, but about 20 minutes to Smith Rock which has great early season riding and awesome hiking/climbing. 45 minutes, give or take, to the mountain. Prices will be a bit cheaper, but as of late, it's really catching up to Bend-level insanity.

    Best thing to do is just call a realtor and have them drive you around to get a feel for the neighborhoods. I can recommend one if you'd like. Just PM me (she's an avid biker too, so she'll be able to relate w/ your desire to be close to trails
    My sis lives there and when they were looking for houses it was dumb the prices folks were getting on the west side for fixer bungalos. It's a hip area to live in, but how hip is it to pay $300K for a 1200 sq.ft house on a postage stamp you have to put $70 into to make it not look like a squatter camp? The sad thing is, folks are doing it. Good for them (and the seller) I suppose.

    They ended up with a really nice house w/a good yard and close to a good elementary school for the kids on the southeast end of town. There's tons of new development out that way. They are even trying to push out the trap club that's been around for a while I guess. Good luck.

    Kraig...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

    Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22
    heres a link to find almost all the house on the central oregon MLS

    http://www.centraloregonrealtors.com...esidential.cfm

  11. #11
    Muy Borracho
    Reputation: El Guapo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    207
    I live in Phoenix. My wifes family lives on Awbrey Butte. We are planning on moving to Bend in June. My in-laws have a rental house they are hooking us with for a good price. I'm also looking to buy fairly quick. I have made a pretty hefty chunk of change in Phx. on real estate. I am trying to decide between the SW side and the NW side. the only downside of see of the NW side is the $. SW side seems to be a hodge podge of nicer new homes along with older trailer park looking neighborhoods. Do any of you live on the SW side? Any advice would be appreciated. I would also guess you locals are getting bummed on everybody moving to the Bend area. I've watched it happen in Scottsdale/Phx for the last 20 years. It's now too crowded and polluted (and hot). I guess whenever you live in a sweet area, it's not too long before the word gets out. I can't wait to get up there.

  12. #12
    MattSavage
    Reputation: mattsavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,431
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    They are even trying to push out the trap club that's been around for a while I guess. Good luck.

    Kraig...
    The trap club is on its way out. A new one was being designed last summer, should be in development soon, if not already, further east of town. Poor sportsmen, always getting pushed around... Nobody loves them....
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

    Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

  13. #13
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,652
    Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo
    I live in Phoenix. My wifes family lives on Awbrey Butte. We are planning on moving to Bend in June. My in-laws have a rental house they are hooking us with for a good price. I'm also looking to buy fairly quick. I have made a pretty hefty chunk of change in Phx. on real estate. I am trying to decide between the SW side and the NW side. the only downside of see of the NW side is the $. SW side seems to be a hodge podge of nicer new homes along with older trailer park looking neighborhoods. Do any of you live on the SW side? Any advice would be appreciated. I would also guess you locals are getting bummed on everybody moving to the Bend area. I've watched it happen in Scottsdale/Phx for the last 20 years. It's now too crowded and polluted (and hot). I guess whenever you live in a sweet area, it's not too long before the word gets out. I can't wait to get up there.
    In the past four years I think I've met all of four people who were born and raised here in Bend. The rest of us came from somewhere.

    If you value living close to trailheads then I'd find a way to live on the westside or NW side. SW side has to cross the river, which may mean negotiating traffic. But if that's what you gotta do, it's stilll only a few miles extra. There's a nice new neighborhood near Shevlin Park that would put you within minutes of singletrack.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •