mtbr member
    May 2017

Bend Memorial Day Weekend Suggestions

Hi All,

My wife and I will be visiting Bend over Memorial Day weekend and I'm looking for a 6-10 mile ride that'll be fun for me and won't kill her. We've ridden DRT before from Sunriver to Bend, and she was able to handle the difficulty ok, but probably would struggle with anything significantly more difficult. I would prefer a loop rather than an out-and-back. I was looking at the Horse Butte area (specifically Arnold Ice Cave Trail > Boyd Cave Trail > Coyote Loop), but don't know if it will be too dusty by then and am unsure of the difficulty level. We also want to avoid crowds as much as possible, I know that'll be hard on Memorial Day weekend, but I would assume areas like Phil's will just be packed that weekend. Any and all suggestions are welcome, Thanks!

Nat
    mtbr member
    In my mind I was coming up with all kinds of suggestions -- then I got to the part about avoiding crowds on Memorial Day weekend and had to hit the eraser, lol.

Maston maybe?

mtbr member
    Yeah Phil's will probably be a zoo that weekend. Peterson Ridge in Sisters might be a good options, I'm not sure how busy that trail system gets but it can't be as bad as Phil's.

Horse Butte loop is pretty easy except for one technical section that can be walked. It should still be riding well around that time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Start riding at Phils trailhead at 6:30am, by the time you finish a 2-3 hour loop the crowds will just be getting there.

Afric Pepperbird
    Horse Butte should have minimal crowds that weekend.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by piersurf View Post
    Yeah Phil's will probably be a zoo that weekend. Peterson Ridge in Sisters might be a good options, I'm not sure how busy that trail system gets but it can't be as bad as Phil's.

Horse Butte loop is pretty easy except for one technical section that can be walked. It should still be riding well around that time.
    Nice avatar, man.

I'm guessing P-Ridge will be as crowded as Phil's (and without the one-ways). It also might be more technically challenging than the OP's wife wants.

Horse Butte might be good. Might have a lot of horses though.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Great suggestions guys, thanks for the input. I think weather will probably factor in as well, if it's going to be really hot than it might not be a good idea to ride somewhere like Maston or Horse Butte, so in that case we may just get up early and beat the crowds at Phil's. If we do that, any suggestions on a loop at Phil's? I've done Ben's/MTB/Kent's short loop, but would want to do something longer. If we were to do Ben's/KGB/Phil's or Ben's/Voodoo/Phil's would those be a lot more technical? Open to other options as well

Nat
    mtbr member
    Ben's/Voodoo/Phil's wouldn't be much more technical. There are a few short rock sections but your wife could walk them if necessary. It would be one-way except for the Voodoo connection so you would feel like less traffic. I think that loop would be around 10 miles.

Ben's/FS300/Phil's would be similar but around 15 miles I think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trecker89 View Post
    any suggestions on a loop at Phil's?
    Definitely take Ben's as high as you can then down Phil's. If Lower Whoops is opened up take that down, it's all rollable. There are rock features on Ben's you can turn around and roll or jump for a quick dose of fun. Phil's canyon at speed (above the chicken) is a hoot, especially since the directional changes a few years ago.

mtbr member
    you could also park at green gate, ride down stormking, up tidldly to larsen, over larsen to tylers, down tylers, up catch and release and up stormking back to green gate. Not too difficult.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The Ben's/Phil's loop would suit your wife perfectly.

When you're done, if more is desired, do a little out and back on Marvin's Garden.

Riding before 10 AM, or after 4 PM would help with crowding, as will the one-way designation on Ben's/Phil's.

That's enough apostrophes for one a day!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    A possible down side of an early start is that morning temps are often in the 30s this time of year so bring clothing suitable for those temps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Nice avatar, man.

I'm guessing P-Ridge will be as crowded as Phil's
    It's the Sister's Stampede that weekend, so Sat it will be packed with pre-rides, and the race is on Sunday. But Sunday afternoon or Monday might work.