Shocks...pegs...lucky!

Bend on May 20th

I'm thinking of spending a little R&R in Bend this May 20th or so. You guys think it will be thawed by then? Any trail suggestions for a guy and his wife from Utah that likes mostly rolling XC and technical downhill (no road gaps PPPLease!).

Thanks,
    Lavaman
    Your mountain bike hates its life as a road bike.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by lavaman
    I'm thinking of spending a little R&R in Bend this May 20th or so. You guys think it will be thawed by then? Any trail suggestions for a guy and his wife from Utah that likes mostly rolling XC and technical downhill (no road gaps PPPLease!).

Thanks,
    Lavaman
    Since I was able to ride a lot of Phil's triangle yesterday, I think you will be fine on May 20th.

A word of caution: The annual Pole Pedal Paddle (PPP) Race is on that day. It's a massive event that brings out a ton of people, which means the trails may be more vacant than usual but stay away from Century Drive (the road from Mt. Bachelor into town) because it'll be a zoo.

http://www.pole-pedal-paddle.com/events/ppp/index.cfm

If you start at Phil's Trailhead you can get in dozens of miles of riding in various loops. By that week I'll know if any higher elevation trails are open, so PM me or post here. I'd offer to come with you but my wife is competing in the PPP and I'll have to watch the kids.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Perfect! A pre-ride report for when we come down in early June.

Nat, I see it's going to be pretty warm the next few days so that's good. Maybe all that snow that fell will melt quickly.

Question, where is the new COD section? And, is there good signage for the new section across the street from the end of Storm King to the river?

Lavaman, do you have the two on-line maps of the area that you can get for the Phil's triangle? One is from the national forest guys and another is from traditional mountaineering. I don't have the fancy one you can buy but this has always gotten me around ok.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centralorego...malotrails.pdf

http://www.traditionalmountaineering...Trail_2004.pdf

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Perfect! A pre-ride report for when we come down in early June.

Nat, I see it's going to be pretty warm the next few days so that's good. Maybe all that snow that fell will melt quickly.

Question, where is the new COD section? And, is there good signage for the new section across the street from the end of Storm King to the river?

Lavaman, do you have the two on-line maps of the area that you can get for the Phil's triangle? One is from the national forest guys and another is from traditional mountaineering. I don't have the fancy one you can buy but this has always gotten me around ok.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centralorego...malotrails.pdf

http://www.traditionalmountaineering...Trail_2004.pdf

Both of those maps cover the main trails pretty well it looks like.

The only "new COD" that I know of extends just past the uphill end of the old COD. It was only about a 1/4 mile extra routing. Perhaps there's another "new COD" that I don't know about, but that's the one I found.

Storm King resumes directly across Century Dr. You just head straight across the pavement and you can't miss it. I highly recommend that section. It's one of my favorites actually, but I don't think it gets nearly as much traffic as the trails within the triangle. Maybe the pavement acts as a psychological barrier and people don't think of riding there? I dunno.

Once you get to the dinwhill end of Storm King you hit pavement again. You can go either left (shorter option) or right (longer option) and find your way to the DRT by heading generally downhill.

If you take a left on the pavement, look for singletrack on the right maybe 1/8 mile up the road. It leads to a straight two-track (I think under a powerline but I may be wrong) that goes about 1 mile and intersects with a maintained gravel road. Take a right and end up at one of the DRT trailheads.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I agree Nat. That section across Century from 31 to 32 is a blast. Especially heading down to the river although it's not a bad climb either. The two jogs down and back up to the trail before the last old road bomber section seems not well thought out though. we've always gone right on the 41 road and then hit the 500 road down to the Big Eddy trailhead. But, I'd much rather ride trail down to the river than road.

Running COD up higher doesn't make much sense to me. (Bigger plan maybe?) I've always wondered why Golden Schaurs didn't run higher up into Storm King. That's a piece of road that would be nice to bypass. I'll have to ask the COTA guys.

Still hoping for hot melting snow weather for you. A friend of mine (ACREE) on mtbr will be down there this weekend and looking at Smith/Bend/McKenzie as options.

Shocks...pegs...lucky!
    Thanks for all the tips. We don't have to ride on the 20th if its going to be too crazy. I take a look at more maps now that I have some leads. Thanks all for your help.

Lavaman
    Your mountain bike hates its life as a road bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hey, i'm going to be in bend that weekend (may 18-21) too, and would love to hook up for a ride or two. i bought the bend mtb book and was planning on just going solo, but a group (especially if it includes someone who actually knows where we are going) would be great fun.

is there a local shop that runs rides? or a local club?

thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hey lavaman, are you still going to ride in bend?

industry employee
    What time are you riding Saturday?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i'm down in sunriver now, so am looking to ride during the next two days if anyone has a ride planned that i could hook up with. i was thinking of hitting "phil's". morning or afternoon would be great.

i was thinking of skipping saturday in bend due to PPP, but would be up for a ride down here. in the "mountain biking Bend" book, the only thing down here is the deschutes river trail (but that looks a little tame). can anyone suggest another trail down here by sunriver?

thanks!