aka baycat

Bend Loop Suggestions?

Returning from a week in Whistler and spending this upcoming Saturday and Sunday in Bend. Looking for some feedback on the below loops or additional suggestions. Thinking a longer ride on Saturday and a shorter ride on Sunday before a long drive back home.

Pulled these off ORMTB.com but wanted some local info on some nice fast, buff trails.

Phils. Up Phils to Helicopter Pad then down Whoops and Bens (Lower Whoops?). What else should we hit?

Tumalo Falls up North Fork to Flagline and down South Fork. Is this mostly singletrack and hard to navigate?

jms
    mtbr member

Fyi

Ryan,
    FYI, this is going down @ Bend this weekend. It might influence your choice of trails.

http://www.mudslingerevents.com/high-cascades-100/

As for trails to ride, Deschutes River Trail is a classic. And the Central Oregon trail map is outstanding. Maybe I'll see you out there after the race. Have fun @ Bend!

Keep Singletrack Single
    Try to get up higher... Elevation is key... Dusty down low.. Go for Flagline, Metolius Windigo, Trail 99, Swampy Lakes, Swede Ridge, etc... Mrazek is awesome as well. Happy Riding!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    If you want to do the Ben's/Phil's loop, I'd climb Ben's to Lower Whoops. When you hit the road at the bottom of Lower Whoops (after you come down it), turn right and ride about a quarter mile down the road and turn left on Phil's. I think it's more fun that way. But I second checking out Flagline or North Fork even with the race going on.

mtbr member
    The North Fork South fork loop is all singletrack and can be nagivated if you have a map. Start early to avoid the hikers up North Fork. I would describe these trails as buff. It is a tough 20 or so miles because of the climbing--budget 4 hours.
    The Phils trail area is buff if by buff you mean dusty. Definitely avoid the race course on Sunday. Fortunately it loks like the race course doesn't go through Phils.
    The Deschutes Rivertrail is full of family-style hikers and recreational bikers on the weekends-if you like pulling over every 5 minutes, it is a great trail.

aka baycat
    Thanks all.

Good luck with the race JMS. Rafael tuned us onto the race so we will try and avoid it since some of us are nursing wounds from Whistler and rehab at Dechutes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Does anyone know if it is a closed race course?

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeldrum26
    Does anyone know if it is a closed race course?
    No, the course is not closed. They are starting early and should be so spread out by the time they reach Southfork, etc, my guess is there won't be much of an impact. That said I wouldn't expect racers to do much yielding.

The early route and last loop are all around the Wanoga trails. Look at the map:
    http://www.mudslingerevents.com/blog...updatedmap.jpg

The course does not go to M/W or upper Flagline. Do that loop (N. Fork, M/W, Flagline, S. Fork) on Saturday starting from Skyliner TH and you've got yourself an Epic. Do the lower dusty stuff on Sun. When you're riding in the front of the pack, the dust isn't so bad!
    Last edited by sans soucie; 08-21-2009 at 11:19 PM.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey