Hoops - Big and Small

Bend-ing Lips and Sweet Dirt

Any Bend area locals riding sat/sun want to share some dirt with some Boise locals?

Were in town for the Flaming Lips and looking to meet up with a group of strong riders for a mini-epic.

What day are we riding?
    How long of a ride you looking for? I may be able to get away from my projects for four hours or so.

Also, what type of riding? The higher elevation trails are still getting rid of their snow.

Hoops - Big and Small
    Thanks for the reply!

We have a standing saturday morning ride here in Boise, generally we like to get 2-3000 ft vert and 20-30 miles, 3-4 hours of riding.

So looking for an adventure, even a little snow is O.K. If possible a ride to a look-out or mountain peak would be ideal.
    Last edited by Crash_Burn; 05-23-2006 at 09:21 AM.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    Thanks for the reply!

We have a standing saturday morning ride here in Boise, generally we like to get 2-3000 ft vert and 20-30 miles, 3-4 hours of riding.

So looking for an adventure, even a little snow is O.K. If possible a ride to a look-out or mountain peak would be ideal.
    Don't know if you're going to be able to get to any lookout yet this season (due to snow), but if you climbed Phil's to Helipad that might be the most climbing right around town. There's a bit of a view from there. I heard Mrazek is also clearing nicely, but I don't know if the descent off of Farewell is clear yet. It might be since it's exposed, but the top part is in the trees.

About an hour away is Gray Butte. If you start at Smith Rock, climb up Burma road, then cut over to the loop around Gray then that's some nice climbing with great views.

I'd join you but I'll be heading into the valley to get provisions from the mercantile.

What day are we riding?

You read my mind, I was thinking Mrazek

but having just looked at my topo there is no way it is clear to Farewell. I keep forgetting that the intersection is a smidge over 6,000ft.

I'm not going to have time to head to Gray Butte. I could probably get you about 2000ft maybe a bit more in and around the Phils area right out of town if we just ride up until we hit snow. With the big snowfall we had this year it is taking a bit longer to clear out...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nat, you Benders crack me up. Seems like everyone outside town knows that Farewell is hte climb to get tp the good that Mrazek is going down! Yet, all the locals do it Up Mrazek/down Farewell.
    Farewell is showing open on the COTA page though I'm still concerned about getting from there to the 4601 road as reports are of snow in the canyon still.
    Wondering also about Skyliner's and Tumalo Creek. Lower but in the shade. Need 'em for the big 40 mile loop on the 2nd.

9 days to go. Looking good for next week.

Crash_Burn, you should be able to get a great amount of riding in around the lower stuff.
    Beware the Burma Road at Gray Butte though. It's a butt kicker. This time around, I'm parking at the bottom of Skull Hollow and doing an out and back to the top of Burma.

What day are we riding?
    But Mrazek is so fun to climb. about the only times I go down it is if I'm doing an out and back or stringing a long loop from Metolius-Windingo.

What trails do you want checked out? I may sneak out for a couple hours tomorrow and could check a couple out...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My point I guess is that you get so much more bang for your buck going up Farewell that I just don't get it.
    We usually head out from Phils up Skyliner-Tumelo Creek or up past Sector 16 to Tumelo Ridge/Tumelo Creek like last year when we had less snow. Down Mrazek from the top of Farewell, short cut from Shevlin across to the jump line and then back up Ben's to complete the loop. That's the plan for a week from Saturday anyways.

I think everything else is known to be clear except Skyliners and Tumelo Creek. If those are still blocked, I guess it's up the road from the red road to 4601 and the road climb up to Mrazek to complete the loop.

Thursday, the 1st will be sessioning most all of Phil's (Up Ben's, down Whoops, back up, down Phils, up Kent's, down Storm King/GS/KGB. and Friday is the tourist ride out KGB, up DRT to Benham, back to lower Storm King and then back down COD/ELV/GS/KGB to camp. Sunday will be either MRT if the weather is good on that side or a Gray Butte loop on the way back North.

Is there an "easy" way for the less climbing inclined in our group to shuttle to the bottom of Upper Whoops to do all the down hills to the TH in one day? I've been up the 300/301 road way before but it's a bit slow going once you turn off the red road (300).

Thanks! Good to see it's raining down there.

dusty paw tracks

snow blankets upper stuff

there's still tons of snow up at Skyliners. Tumalo Creek is not rideable AFAIK. Farewell and upper Mrazek likewise. blowdowns/snow. but the good news is Mrazek is in superb condition even past the canal and is riding great. for a long loop around the lower stuff, i'd recommend heading up via DS/GS > Woody's > Leighton's cut (straight across the road from Woody's - what's this officially called?) > Storm King > Heli Pad backdoor > Lower Whoops > Ben's > Shevlin link-up > road > Mrazek > high as you wanna go > turn around and head back via Shevlin park. cool ride w/ varied terrain and some climbing, and guaranteed clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Nat, you Benders crack me up. Seems like everyone outside town knows that Farewell is hte climb to get tp the good that Mrazek is going down! Yet,
    all the locals do it Up Mrazek/down Farewell.
    locals use Mrazek as a link to the high lonesome -- Met/Wind, N Fork, the S Fork complex, etc. it's perfect for riding back down, too, but for easy access on singletrack it's still the best bet for alpine link ups. now that Skyliner trail is in this isn't as much of a benefit, but Mrazek is still a good choice. for just want a quick way up for lots of downhill, there's the white trash from Swampy, or even Dutchman for that matter...
    Last edited by slimTreeshadow; 05-24-2006 at 02:15 PM.

dusty paw tracks
    so i went up to Skyliner parking lot last night to check out the conditions. didn't ride, just sort of poked around. there's no snow down low that's visible, but probably plenty in the shady trees. also blow downs. cota is calling all of it unrideable right now.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by slimTreeshadow
    so i went up to Skyliner parking lot last night to check out the conditions. didn't ride, just sort of poked around. there's no snow down low that's visible, but probably plenty in the shady trees. also blow downs. cota is calling all of it unrideable right now.
    I just got in right this minute from a ride up Phil's/Helipad/half way up Skyliner's/down Lower Whoops/Ben's.

Skyliner had not a trace of snow coming up it from the Whoops side. If you didn't see any snow coming up from the parking lot side, then I bet it's all clear the whole way except for blow-down (of which there was plenty).

Has anyone else noticed that Skyliner is uphill the whole way regardless of which way you ride it? Same with Sector 16.

I got rained on AGAIN. Can a guy catch a break? At least this time I wasn't prepared, and had on only a wool sweater and casual shorts, no camelbak, no raincoat, no food, no spare parts...WTF? I was just going to go out into the burn to see if the developer has fenced off KGB yet. It was supposed to happen yesterday, but it hasn't yet. WHat, a developer behind schedule? How odd. I saw surveyors out there though. Better get some KGB and COD while you can; it's only going to be there for a few more days.
    Is there an "easy" way for the less climbing inclined in our group to shuttle to the bottom of Upper Whoops to do all the down hills to the TH in one day? I've been up the 300/301 road way before but it's a bit slow going once you turn off the red road (300).
    Drive to the bottom of Upper Whoops (aka, top of Lower Whoops) via a jeep road that parallels Lower Whoops. It's about 3 miles long, and probably negotiable with any car with clearance and a little driving skill. 4WD not necessary. You get onto that road off of red road just about 30 feet north of the exit of Lower Whoops. In fact, isn't that your secret camping spot?

What day are we riding?

You loner

It is clear that you don't need the companionship of riding buddies, if you catch my drift.

Serves you right that you got rained on

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I rode my cross bike up to the radio towers on Cougar butte the other day on the dirt roads that start above shevlin park and saw absolutely no snow. If you stay on the exposed stuff and avoid the revine on the top of mirazek I'd bet you could make it pretty close to the farewell trail, close enough to hike a bike to at least.
    what the fu#k is the internet?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah Nat, that's the "secret spot". We drove that road a few times last year in my Outback just to get a few extra Whoops runs since we were camping right there. This year, we'll be over off KGB in the meadow. Too many people and foo-foo cars.

Where's the KGB/COD closure happening? East of the power lines? I was planning on heading out East from camp on KGB to the powerlines and then South to the DRT next Friday.

Thanks for the news on Skyliners. How many trees is a "lot"? I'd rather go out that way and up the 4601 or 700 to Mrazek instead of an out and back on Mrazek. If Skyliners is snow free, why wouldn't Tumelo creek be open?

The early bird slackers will be at the site off KGB at the big rocks on Tuesday if you want to stop by and go for a ride with them.

You guys getting snow this weekend? Looks like it.
    May change things for Crash_Burn....

Still looking forward to the ride report from this weekend.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin
    It is clear that you don't need the companionship of riding buddies, if you catch my drift.

Serves you right that you got rained on
    Heh-heh! Sorry man! I wasn't really planning on riding today but once I got the pedals turning I just couldn't stop. Hehh!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Yeah Nat, that's the "secret spot". We drove that road a few times last year in my Outback just to get a few extra Whoops runs since we were camping right there. This year, we'll be over off KGB in the meadow. Too many people and foo-foo cars.

Where's the KGB/COD closure happening? East of the power lines? I was planning on heading out East from camp on KGB to the powerlines and then South to the DRT next Friday.

Thanks for the news on Skyliners. How many trees is a "lot"? I'd rather go out that way and up the 4601 or 700 to Mrazek instead of an out and back on Mrazek. If Skyliners is snow free, why wouldn't Tumelo creek be open?

The early bird slackers will be at the site off KGB at the big rocks on Tuesday if you want to stop by and go for a ride with them.

You guys getting snow this weekend? Looks like it.
    May change things for Crash_Burn....

Still looking forward to the ride report from this weekend.

The entire open space on either side of the power lines is going to eventually be developed. I don't know if white road will be shut down by the time of your visit, but if it is, you can catch a lesser-used (and lesser noticed) connector trail from the high point of KGB (just above your campsite) over to COD then cross Century Dr.

On Skyliner "a lot" of trees translates to "four" in the Nat-Webster Dictionary. I go ahead and ride it. If Tumalo is for some reason snowy (I bet it's dry) then you can always take the dirt road across the river.

What days will you guys be here again?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Arriving late next Wednesday about 10. Though others will be there earlier Tuesday and riding then. (Feel free to show up and get a ride in with them.) Leaving Sunday morning for either MRT or Skull/Gray Butte loop depending on weather.

I think I know which faint trail you're talking about so we can work our way across the top towards COD Friday morning heading over to the DRT.

If we get out to the falls, the next question is how much snow is on the top of Farewell. Been in that bad situation before when we had to push the bikes past the 700 road trying to find the trail. Thinking about skipping the Creek trail and heading up the logging road to just above the canyon on Mrazek. But, that isn't until a week from this Saturday.