Most Delicious

Bend cross bike loops (sans snow)

Anybody worked out some good long loops for cross bikes? Something you can ride out from town, maybe 50% dirt? And of course in a less snowy direction?

I started poking around Mayfield Pond and it looks like you could cut from Neff north to the highway. There's also the North Unit canal heading out in that direction, can you ride along it?

Looking at the maps, it looks like heading towards Cline Butte might have some potential too.

Any ideas, thoughts, or warnings would be appreciated.

Marc

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I usually head out China Hat Road south of Knott Road. It is pavement for a while then it turns to dirt. There is a hugh amount of dirt forest roads out that way. I would recommend picking up a forest service map if you are going to explore that way.

If you head out that way you can ride out to the backside of Horse Ridge, or to Pine Mountain, which is one of my typical spring rides. You can also head south from China Hat Road and make your way to the Lava Lands area.

I haven't ridden out that way this year yet, so I don't know what the conditions are like.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

What day are we riding?
    China Hat area has too much snow right now. Mayfield Pond is a good area. You can catch dirt roads from there, cross the Powell Butte Highway and pop out on Deschutes Market.

China Hat north of China Hat road is a great area after a bit more of the snow goes away. You can usually catch it in between dumps of snow off of Horse Butte area. Or for a bit less snow at the junction of Gosney and Arnold Market.